Resurgence of a F100

6speedsd

Reaction score
Congratulations, i bet that makes you feel good

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Good is an understatement. I knew all along this thing should be "peppier". Maybe fuel mileage will come up some....getting 11-12 now which seems low for this thing.
Now time to install a stock 7.3psd turbo on there and see how it does.
I'm guessing with a stock bottom end, a loud boom is what it'll do.

I'm trying to decide if I want to build this one into a forged 347 for boost, or hold out for a 351W and build a 408. I do like me some turbo though....

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

6speedsd

Reaction score
OR...

Maybe just leave it a baby 302, forged pistons and a beefier crank, and force feed it then.

Why the 7.3 turbo? That the common thing in the gasser world now?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6speedsd

Reaction score
I have not, but that was awesome!

Ok, they said mid 80's to mid 92 had forged Pistons. Mine is out of a 93 mustang, so I'm assuming not forged? I just might have to play with this idea over the winter and see if it'll hold together at 8lb or so. Only thing is I did a garage rebuild on mine...new bearings, rings, ect...so it's not all worn out like their junker, and it was a low mile engine to start with.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
So apparently I had too many beers last time I set timing. I was at like 9 deg at idle. Bumped it up to 16....let's just say whatever I read was right. This tank needed that all along. Hesitation is gone, much more responsive, and it will actually blow a tire off now with ease....yes tire singular...one wheel peel. Turn on a road and hammer on it and it breaks loose immediately, which I could barely get it to do on wet roads before. Drove it hard for a few miles...never heard any pinging and I'm running 87 octane.

thats ****in awesome man!! time for a locker!

and, cant you just leave it alone and drive it?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

6speedsd

Reaction score
Lol.

I have been just driving it, but who just leaves them alone? A like tweak here or there is what we all do. I've always wanted to build a boosted gasser.... and this will be the perfect candidate. Looks just like any old 77, sounds like any old SBF.... until you bury your foot in it.

Not saying it'll be anytime soon, but I may just start collecting parts here or there.

Izzybird

Reaction score
I have not, but that was awesome!

Ok, they said mid 80's to mid 92 had forged Pistons. Mine is out of a 93 mustang, so I'm assuming not forged? I just might have to play with this idea over the winter and see if it'll hold together at 8lb or so. Only thing is I did a garage rebuild on mine...new bearings, rings, ect...so it's not all worn out like their junker, and it was a low mile engine to start with.

I'd get a donor motor for that if you have the means, there's a million of them out there. If it does pop, your not out much. I haven't done it, but modding a Holley to be blow through seems pretty easy and if you don't care if it's ugly most anyone with a welder can make a carb hat. I have a '96 5.0 Volvo/Penta with gt heads sitting in the corner, stock 7.3 turbo on a shelf, and a old Holley in a drawer, would definitely be a blast to torture till something finally let go. I need to see if I can find any specs on the Volvo/Penta, all I know is it was free and is taking up room in the shop. Love the F100 by the way, glad she's running better for you.

Jomax

Reaction score
thats ****in awesome man!! time for a locker!

and, cant you just leave it alone and drive it?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

You can't say that last sentence on this form... it's not allowed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6speedsd

Reaction score
I wouldn't be out much with my current motor if it split. I have about $1200 total in it, which includes price of it, rebuild kit, carb, intake, ect. And the more I read up on them, I'm almost convinced I have a forged piston engine as it is. They went through 92, and said if you have a 93 with the grey oil pan, it is most likely forged as well. This one did have the grey pan, and was untouched...all original. And it's not a DD, so if it lets go, it can sit until I fix it.

I have enough metal working equipment that I could do all the fab myself. The hat, plumbing, ect. And there's plenty of room under the hood of these things to route things. I have a buddy who was a big 7.3 guy forever so he probably has a turbo laying around somewhere...if it's not blown.

Like I said, this isn't something that'll happen soon. Just ideas and plans for the future.

6speedsd

Reaction score
Finally got around to picking one of these up. Hope to get it installed later this afternoon. Already have the Blaster 2 coil, and a set of Ford Racing 9mm spiral wound wires, so she should like this addition.
b8ae61bb4e45567cbb3346c3f7b3794c.jpg

Latest posts

Members online