364.5 Arrived

mikeeg02

Reaction score
A little update. Turbo is awesome. The most notable differences are:

QUIET-The truck is so much more enjoyable to drive and tolerable for the family. You can hear yourself think now instead of dealing with the howl of the 38r that started at 2psi. It is interesting it uses no wastegate and yet, snapping the throttle shut, there is no noticeable sound from this as was with the 38R. Very cool.

BOOST-come in sooner and more quickly. I switched to a Hewitt mechanical boost gauge which is far more sensitive and accurate than the ISSPRO with electrical converter so, what I see is the boost is very responsive to the throttle. It comes in much quicker and the needle moves very steadily. With the 38R, the needle would vibrate quite a bit over 20psi. With this SXE, I'm hitting 30psi very easy and the needle is steady. Haven't full throttled the truck yet as I'm still getting used to it and haven't driven that much.

DRIVEABILITY- with the improved boost, I've noticed driving is smoother and power is more linear.

Haven't towed yet, but all I hear is great things and that this turbo loves to work and performs best doing so.

Glad to hear it. You should be pleasantly surprised when it comes time to tow. It's amazing how fast they come up on boost. And how quiet they are compared to the 38R. You have to watch the boost gauge to see that it's working. And then when you see it's working you typically have to watch the road because things happen pretty quickly.

Reaction score
Glad to hear it. You should be pleasantly surprised when it comes time to tow. It's amazing how fast they come up on boost. And how quiet they are compared to the 38R. You have to watch the boost gauge to see that it's working. And then when you see it's working you typically have to watch the road because things happen pretty quickly.
Lol, sounds about right, certainly don't hear it much, especially when used to a 38r, but don't take them eyes off the road for too long, and grab a hold with both hands and hang on

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mikeeg02

Reaction score
You also have to get used to hearing how were covering up problems with this turbo. Weather it be tuning. Leaks. Etc. No matter how well you've tested your old setup. You still did something wrong if you weren't satisfied with the 38r. God forbid you want more useable towing horsepower than it could deliver. Then you're just melting drivetrain. Or "new" at the 7.3 game. I've only got like 14 years, and 350,000 miles with a 7.3 under my hood. Still new here. And ~175,000 of those with a 38R in there.

The Brad

Reaction score
You also have to get used to hearing how were covering up problems with this turbo. Weather it be tuning. Leaks. Etc. No matter how well you've tested your old setup. You still did something wrong if you weren't satisfied with the 38r. God forbid you want more useable towing horsepower than it could deliver. Then you're just melting drivetrain. Or "new" at the 7.3 game. I've only got like 14 years, and 350,000 miles with a 7.3 under my hood. Still new here. And ~175,000 of those with a 38R in there.

Well said! I'm a noob too with only 17yrs. I know i didn't have any boost leaks because there were never any boost puddles on my driveway.

Swaan

Reaction score
So true. So true. .
Ball swingers reunite, if only they would try a sxe they would shut up.

freddie

Reaction score
I have a BASB and T4 kit, 230/100s, and didn't install them before my trip down to Tennessee this past weekend towing a camper. Really regretting that. Lol. I love keeping up on these threads.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score

LOL

You won't hear that from us. The BW substantially outperforms the 38R. We have seen it numerous times on different customer rigs. Many have gone from a 38R to one of the BW turbos (364.5 or 366) and noticed a big improvement in multiple areas (boost, EGT's, spool, noise, etc).

And I am not a 38R hater, I run one on my personal truck. They are an upgrade over stock. But they just can't compare to the SXE line.

bigfords

Reaction score
Haha. Ill be putting one on my truck, which has 230/100s in it right now with a 38R...question is should i go with a 364.5 or 366?
Talked to Mikekeeg the other night about his setup and it sounds good! Any other input? Looking for the ideal towing setup and would be willing to downsize injector if need be.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

The Brad

Reaction score
Haha. Ill be putting one on my truck, which has 230/100s in it right now with a 38R...question is should i go with a 364.5 or 366?
Talked to Mikekeeg the other night about his setup and it sounds good! Any other input? Looking for the ideal towing setup and would be willing to downsize injector if need be.

Mike and I have the same results between his 66 and my 64.5. If I had money laying around, I'd try the 66. Unless you're running huge tires and tall gearing, I'd go with the 66.

cjfarm111

Reaction score
Justin is spot on. The 38r is a great turbo for a stock replacement but it doesn't hold a candle the BW sxe line

TMCCOY

Reaction score
Saying I did something wrong is a bit assumptive. I'm sure the 38r was performing fine having towed out 5th wheel 10k miles in a year in mountains. It's just that I wanted improved performance that would better match the injectors and it be quieter. Not enough driving and no towing this far to say for sure, but it is promising based in the improvements I see already.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score

230/100's would not be my first choice for towing. If you are going to stay with those, I would at minimum do the s366sxe. You would also be good with the s369sxe for that injector. Run the 1.0 housing on whichever one you choose.

mikeeg02

Reaction score
230/100's would not be my first choice for towing. If you are going to stay with those, I would at minimum do the s366sxe. You would also be good with the s369sxe for that injector. Run the 1.0 housing on whichever one you choose.

I think he said his are B codes, so as long as he has enough oil I think he should be ok IMO. Mine with 238/100s hybrids runs great with a 66sxe and 1.0 housing. My videos have shown it to be a fast spooling SOB, and quite the tow monster if you ask me. Grossing 24k is no issue. Good clean tail pipe and trailer stays white. I dont change tunes, and I have it down to two. The #5 DD/Tow file which has a max pw of 3.2ms, and the all out file, that does stupid things and empties the injectors. But I have a manual transmission, so its always in the right gear LOL

freddie

Reaction score
Stupid question but is the consensus that the BASB is comparable to a 364.5? I have a BASB new in box, and a set of low mileage 230/100s all set to install this winter. I planned on live tuning regardless. Just wondering if I should consider getting a different set of injectors or something before install. I'm fine with tuning the injectors back some.. going for tow performance over anything else. I planned on PIS 175/80s but a set of their 230/100s fell into my lap.

Truck is on 35's with 3.55 gears with a BTS. About the heaviest I tow is 14k. I do tow in the mountains once or twice a year although I'm planning on doing more southern camping trips so towing performance in the mountains of the eastern US would be great. I have considered going to 4.10s but thought I'd get the rest of the drivetrain finished and see how I felt about the 3.55s once I had more power. I know I have searched plenty to find posts where guys considered gear swaps until they went BASB/XSE.

JDelaney

Reaction score
I believe the BASB is very similar to the 364.5.

When I had a van turbo and 160/30s my truck had problems keeping cool below 2000RPM. Changed gearing to 4.30s (w/ 33" tires)and life was good when towing, sucked driving it empty. Then I upgraded to the 364.5 and was amazed by the truck's transformation! Moved back to 3.73 last weekend and will be pulling the hauler up to a rifle match weekend after next.

Tuning definitely makes or breaks a truck. I can tow on my 80 Econo with very little heat issues.

TMCCOY

Reaction score
I did a little towing yesterday. Had a dump trailer and scaling it and my truck empty was 11K so, the trailer weighs near 4K I guess. I had 6 yards moist compost and a half bucket of stone so maybe another 6-7K? I didn't weigh out so this is a guess. At any rate, first pull out of the place was up a hill and onto the highway. I left the truck in my DD tune which is a PHP 80hp custom tune and towing was very easy and EGT was never above 1000. I hit 70mph on the highway easy peasy. It is soooo much quieter than the 38r. That in itself makes it a better way to go for me. The performance is much, much better from what I can tell with this tune. Boost comes in quicker and is stronger at all rpms than the 38R.

lariat 7.3

Reaction score
I did a little towing yesterday. Had a dump trailer and scaling it and my truck empty was 11K so, the trailer weighs near 4K I guess. I had 6 yards moist compost and a half bucket of stone so maybe another 6-7K? I didn't weigh out so this is a guess. At any rate, first pull out of the place was up a hill and onto the highway. I left the truck in my DD tune which is a PHP 80hp custom tune and towing was very easy and EGT was never above 1000. I hit 70mph on the highway easy peasy. It is soooo much quieter than the 38r. That in itself makes it a better way to go for me. The performance is much, much better from what I can tell with this tune. Boost comes in quicker and is stronger at all rpms than the 38R.
You're making me want to order one haha

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online