Who has the best deals on 2.5 resi shocks?

Platinumf250

Reaction score
Thinking of doing 2.5s and icon or Carli 4.5" coils on my truck. Or doing 4.5" coils and a 3 link. Which is going to ride better, 3 link or 2.5 shocks? Thanks

Also, can I fit 37s on stock wheels with my 3" lift now?

sootie

Reaction score
kind of a redundant question.

A three link is going to give you better control of caster as well as let you position your axle however you like in your wheel opening. Basically handling wont be compromised by lifting. Ride is typically not affected by having a 3 link or a stock arm.

The important thing with ride is matching the valving of the shock with the design of the coil spring. That is why carli coils with carli valved shocks are some of the best riding trucks on the road.

As far as shocks go, a 2.0 smooth body and 2.0 resi and a 2.5 resi all ride very similarly on the road. The only point of a reservoir is to give the oil a chance to expand and cool so as not to impact the ride characteristics as those variables change. I know some will disagree but i dont feel a resi shock is required for strictly on road driving.

Platinumf250

Reaction score
I've just always heard of people saying the ride is better with a 3 link compared to radius arm drop brackets when you lift your truck. Have the non resi 2.0s now. I live down a pot hole infested road and and drive a lot of bumpy country roads so I figured 2.5 resi shocks would be the biggest help. Also want some deaver rear springs to help with the ride.

sootie

Reaction score
some people confuse ride and handling. The overall driving experience is bettter-yes. And if you live on rough roads resi shocks may be for you.

My point remains that custom valved shocks to match your spring will net you the best ride.

Jomax

Reaction score
I will say, I missed my 2.5in king shocks. I just installed king 2.5s From Mike, I had fox 2.0s before, and before that had a carli coilover bypass setup.

Just got back home from CA and These king 2.5 in shocks handled the nasty CA freeways way better, rode better in certain scenarios where the freeway had nasty dips etc. biggest thing is handling, it handles way better with these 2.5s. I was able to take freeway on ramps faster with zero lean.

The only thing no shock or lift will do with these straight axle trucks is take out the bouncing on expansion joints on freeways. You feel them no matter what. Only thing that almost takes it away is going 90mph.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sootie

Reaction score
I will say, I missed my 2.5in king shocks. I just installed king 2.5s From Mike, I had fox 2.0s before, and before that had a carli coilover bypass setup.

Just got back home from CA and These king 2.5 in shocks handled the nasty CA freeways way better, rode better in certain scenarios where the freeway had nasty dips etc. biggest thing is handling, it handles way better with these 2.5s. I was able to take freeway on ramps faster with zero lean.

The only thing no shock or lift will do with these straight axle trucks is take out the bouncing on expansion joints on freeways. You feel them no matter what. Only thing that almost takes it away is going 90mph.

Dont forget that your sway bars are another variable in your scenario...

Jomax

Reaction score
Dont forget that your sway bars are another variable in your scenario...

I have a hellwig rear, but I've driven with the Hellwig With foxes in CA. The kings helped even more. But you are right, the Hellwig helped a Ton as well.

gnxtc2

Reaction score

So the King 2.5s were better than the Fox 2.0s?

I have Fox 2.0s on both trucks (1997 RSK with SD leafs and 2016 F350 Dually). When I first drive my 1997 it rides smooth/aewsome. As I continue driving it during the day, the ride gets worse. The other day when I got home, I grabbed the shocks and they were hot. I am wondering as the oil heats up, the ride get progressively worse.

Don't get me wrong, the Fox shocks were a huge improvement over the Bilstein 5150s (OBS truck) and the Rancho (2016 truck).

I am wondering if I have to go with a reservoir type shock.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Jomax

Reaction score
So the King 2.5s were better than the Fox 2.0s?

I have Fox 2.0s on both trucks (1997 RSK with SD leafs and 2016 F350 Dually). When I first drive my 1997 it rides smooth/aewsome. As I continue driving it during the day, the ride gets worse. The other day when I got home, I grabbed the shocks and they were hot. I am wondering as the oil heats up, the ride get progressively worse.

Don't get me wrong, the Fox shocks were a huge improvement over the Bilstein 5150s (OBS truck) and the Rancho (2016 truck).

I am wondering if I have to go with a reservoir type shock.

Billy T.

[email protected]

You won't regret getting kings ever. You are experiencing shock fade with the fox 2.0s. That usually tells you that you need a bigger shock.

But to get a fox to fade on normal roads is pretty hard. I assume you have crappy roads where you are?

gnxtc2

Reaction score
I live in the NYC metro area. The utility companies are always digging up the roads. They never do a complete repair of the road, just a patch job.

And when I go into NYC, forget about the road in NYC. A desert race has smoother roads.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Jomax

Reaction score
I live in the NYC metro area. The utility companies are always digging up the roads. They never do a complete repair of the road, just a patch job.

And when I go into NYC, forget about the road in NYC. A desert race has smoother roads.

Billy T.
[email protected]

You'd definitely be happy with kings then!!

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
i love in crappy roads, and the king 2.5's have been a home run on mine. everyone i have sold them to has come back to me , thanking me for talking them into them. we keep 5-10 kits on the shelf now for that reason.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.