What EGT temp to monitor on CTS2 for safe shutdown?

dapherdoo2

Reaction score
New to the forum and diesel engine as well. I had a question as to what EGT to monitor on my CTS2 to ensure a safe shutdown to protect the turbo. Love the forum and would appreciate any input.
Thanks

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

sootie

Reaction score
Just let the truck idle for 30 seconds and it will be cool enough to shut down. Monitoring egts is a good idea when running a big tune or towing heavy. Pre turbo reading is best.

redneck1

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the main reason in cooling off the turbo is to prevent oil coking. Having a water cooled center section, I doubt you'll every have a problem. It's hard to get down to 350 with it 100 degrees outside running the a/c. I just idle a minute or two and call it good..

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

dapherdoo2

Reaction score
Just let the truck idle for 30 seconds and it will be cool enough to shut down. Monitoring egts is a good idea when running a big tune or towing heavy. Pre turbo reading is best.
Thanks, 48 y/o and learning aomething new every day.

dapherdoo2

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the main reason in cooling off the turbo is to prevent oil coking. Having a water cooled center section, I doubt you'll every have a problem. It's hard to get down to 350 with it 100 degrees outside running the a/c. I just idle a minute or two and call it good..

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
This is why I am in a forum...again, learning something new!

Jomax

Reaction score
Unless I ran it hard right before I turn it off. I don't wait at all, I just turn it off...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JRLott

Reaction score
I'll start paying attention to EGT. I've parked with oil temps between 197 and 203. If in the lower range, I wait until it drops to 195. If over 200, I wait for it to get down to 197. Never paid attention to egt during that process. It's been over 100 all week here. I know egt cooled off to less than 300 one day, but I was making some phone calls so it idled quite awhile. Good info.

04cr450

Reaction score
Unless I ran it hard right before I turn it off. I don't wait at all, I just turn it off...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me either, I just turn it off.. even with my 6.0's never lost a turbo since 2004 lol even if I run it hard I still just shut it off.....

04cr450

Reaction score
I'll start paying attention to EGT. I've parked with oil temps between 197 and 203. If in the lower range, I wait until it drops to 195. If over 200, I wait for it to get down to 197. Never paid attention to egt during that process. It's been over 100 all week here. I know egt cooled off to less than 300 one day, but I was making some phone calls so it idled quite awhile. Good info.

You have to much time on your hands lol jk

JRLott

Reaction score
You have to much time on your hands lol jk

LOL. Likely true. It gets cranked just before 6. I head to work once I get dressed, coffee, and crap loaded. It doesn't move until oil is over 100, which isn't too hard this time of year. I get to work with oil temps about 195-197. It idles while I put my boots on and is 195 or less by then. Lunch is basically the same except I have to Dick around just a bit to let it cool off slightly. I have plenty of time to let it idle once I get home in the afternoon. Remote start is my friend on those rare occasions that it's hot and I have to get out immediately. Get junk, shut off, get out, remote start, and let it shut down after 5 or 10 minutes. I'm likely wasting more in clatter fluid than I'm saving in turbo. Lol

Latest posts

Members online