Steering Gear Issues [Solved]

Reaction score
I feel as if I take more from this forum than I give. Here's a bit of giving instead.

Over the past 5 years I have dealt with steering slop on my truck. I started with the usual gamut of ball joints, tie rods, track bar, OUO ALAs, .... and the problems continued. My last resort was to swap out the steering gear with a redhead.

The first Redhead was slightly better but still way too much dead zone. They had great customer service and shipped me out another one within a week. This one improved 90% but still not how it should be. Considering that I have owned this truck since it had 7500 miles ( and the this issue has progressively gotten worse since) I knew it had to be something deteriorating over time.

Fast forward 2 years. I got my hands on a brand new gear box out of 2016. I didn't know but at some point from 2010 to 2016 the gear box underwent a complete overhaul - the newer box is considerably bigger. The box was a direct swap into my 2010. PROBLEM SOLVED! Also the steering is much softer - I can turn the wheel with my pinky. There's zero binding, no dead spots when trying to turn stopped and loaded, and finaly---- no wandering.

For those looking for a heavier duty upgrade to the older gear boxes - This worked on a 2010 F250 HD.

If I find a picture I took of them side-by-side I will post.

Regards,

Pete

Last edited:

TyCorr

Reaction score
I wonnnnnnndered about this. As I've stated in the past and even recently im underwhelmed by the redhead box. Im not saying its good, bad, or the other. Just not a big tadoo for my Turkish lyra.

If you get a minute snap some pics.

79jasper

Reaction score
Seen a lot of issues with them recently.
On fte, a guy had the shaft snap. Luckily he wasn't on the highway. It was a few years old, but had very little miles on it.
They basically said thanks for letting us know. And that's it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I wonnnnnnndered about this. As I've stated in the past and even recently im underwhelmed by the redhead box. Im not saying its good, bad, or the other. Just not a big tadoo for my Turkish lyra.

If you get a minute snap some pics.
I'm not complaining about them. They did a decent job and really tried to please me. But I just think that style box is sub-par for the size of these trucks. The newer style box really moves the front end effortlessly. And, it's precise. I've got a lead foot when traveling on open highway roads; you can steer with confidence at any speed your heart desires.

I recently swapped phones. I'll try to find the pictures.

Betarocker

Reaction score
Replaced the OEM box on my 04 with a Red Head. Never had an issue with it, though I needed some motion fore or aft to turn the 37x13.5 Toyo on dry pavement. On my 16, I can turn the wheels without any effort of my exposed aggregate (sharp rock) driveway. Same tires. Visibly larger sector shaft on the new one.

slowcoupe

Reaction score
If you find those picture post them up. I may see about retro fitting one into my 04. My steering box is about toast and hates my 40's. I have been looking for a remedy when I do my ball joints, dual steering stabilizer, and some other front end parts.

Reaction score
I can't find them at the moment. I went through a rather significant build on this truck in the summer. In the process, I had to switch phones and lost some of the pictures.

I think they might have been saved in a back-up nested in iTunes but I don't have time to figure all that out right now.

I can take pictures of it on the truck if anyone wants , but not much to see there except that it looks bigger.

Reaction score
Note: will need bolts from newer gearbox. Everything else: pitman arm, rag joint, and lines (minor tweaking) , swaps directly in.

Reaction score
So if I understand this will direct swap into the pre 2010 year?

If so, will be pricing one out tomorrow.

yes - it swapped into my 2010. I had the fortunate opportunity to park a 2016 next to my 2010 and try this test.

I don't know the differences year to year. You would have to figure out if it works on earlier model trucks.

From what I have read, the boxes are the same from 05-10, but don't quote me on that.

Reaction score
I tried digging through photos again, doesn't look like the box comparison shots made it. Here's a picture of the VIN tag off the truck i performed the test with.

Attachments

• IMG_1474.JPG
    IMG_1474.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 264

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
Good point. That might be an issue. Already had to slightly enlarge the mounting holes to fit the 05 box on the 02 frame.

Depending on the difference in size it might not fit the pre 05 frames.

mikeeg02

Reaction score
Is this the p/n you used? I looked on sunrise and this is what I came up with for a 2015 (as new as they went) 8C3Z-3504-B.

Its 1k+

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.