Who's done the Borgeson steering shaft?

chaselee

Reaction score
I originally thought my steering slop was in the gear box so I replaced it with a new motor craft unit which did almost nothing. I finally realized the slop was being caused by tie rod roll so I just bought and installed the Carrick Customs steering system. It did help and the tie rod roll is gone. However I do still have quite a bit of slop in the wheel.

I read somewhere that the Borgeson steering shaft had made a big difference for someone out there in OBS land. So anyone with insight on the subject, please do tell

79jasper

Reaction score
You can get play at the collapsible joint and the rag joint. The borgeson takes care of that.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

freddie

Reaction score
I did the Borgeson. I could not believe the amount of play the factory shaft had - I think there's a black plastic cover that covers the joint - move it out of the way and have someone work the steering wheel while you watch the shaft. Not only did mine have a lot of rotational play, but the joint was so sloppy that it would kick out the axis of the 2 halves would not even be lined up.

freddie

Reaction score
I think it should slide up or down the shaft, just has plastic clips holding it in place - if I recall correctly. It's been 4-5 years.

79jasper

Reaction score
Sometimes they have a hole for the power steering line to go through, which somewhat holds it in place. Others are slotted for it.
Iirc, the borgeson replaces the rag joint with a ujoint.
So not like it's necessarily needed, imo. Just something else to catch crud buildup.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

chaselee

Reaction score
I appreciate the input. I got it figured out and installed, but I've had a slew of problems since then.so I installed the Carrick Customs tie rods to prevent tie rod roll. Which worked until the cotter pin sheered off and I lost a tie rod at 75mph. It was a fun ride!! Luckily the good Lord hand his hand on me that morning and I managed to get it shut down without killing myt or anyone else.

chaselee

Reaction score
I'm working with Carrick Customs on that now. Figured out yesterday that the problem is the tie rods are bottoming out before the tapers seat together, so when you take the but off the top they just fall out of the knuckle, which they are obviously not supposed to do.

chaselee

Reaction score
So on your tie rod taper seating issue what was the issue. Did you team the taper too deep?

No I never reemed them. Apparently the factory knuckles were a little wallowed out. So I needed up having to grind a little bit of material out of the bottom of the knuckles until the tie rods would seat. All has been well since that happened.

Latest posts

Members online