High voltage at battery

Pooh bear

Reaction score
Truck has become a weekend only truck as I have bought a daily driver. If it sits more that about 4 days it won’t start. Jump it off and your fine. Jumped it off today and drove it to the store came home and decided I was gonna put a battery tender on it so I don’t have to worry about it. Before I did I checked the voltage at the battery while not running and it’s reading 16.25 and 17.10 while running. Any ideas? Put a new alternator on a year ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

psmike

Reaction score
wow.. sounds like a regulator problem.. I went thur a few alt from auto zone never again.. get a factory or a real alt builder.. dc power or ?

Pooh bear

Reaction score
The one I got was from Autozone as well. I knew better! Looks like this is gonna be a lesson learned kind of deal.

Lt.Dan

Reaction score
If the battery voltage while not running was that high, then the batteries themselves have to be bad. Especially if they're dead after sitting for a few days. Batteries can only be cycled to dead a few times before they loose life rapidly.

Pooh bear

Reaction score
I gotta tell bud. In 30 years of using multimeters I’ve never had this happen. Took your advice and checked 2 other vehicles and bam. Same thing. Changed the battery and we’re back in business. I appreciate the help y’all.

Pooh bear

Reaction score
You and me both but I still need to figure out where the drain is coming from. I’ve had it on a battery tender for about 30 hours now and it’s still showing it’s charging. We’ll see in the morning.

Latest posts

Members online