Installing an alarm system

Arisley

Reaction score
I am installing an alarm system. The remote start needs a tach signal to tell the starter to turn off.

Everything I can find says the PCM pin 19. All the wiring diagrams I have, say pin 19 only goes to the tach. My question is, can I pull the guage cluster, look for a white/pink wire going into the the plug and tap into it. I really don't want to go outside the the firewall and break into the wire harness out there.

Lowdown89

Reaction score
I copy and pasted this from the wiring diagram crows posted on the tech section

Module) is to the right of the accelerator pedal above the transmission hump below the radio. Not accessible from radio opening. *3 For tach go to any one of the ignition coils and use the wire that is NOT red/lt. green. On diesel vehicles the tach wire is green or white, in a 42 pin plug under the clamp on the engine side of the air intake duct. On diesel vehicles the wait to start light is activated by a databus wire from the ECM. To do wait to start use a pulse timer relay and follow directfax document #1091. *4 Also found at the radio on vehicles that have the in-dash CD changer.

02POWERSTROKE7.3

Reaction score
NOTE #3: On DIESELS the TACH wire is a WHITE/PINK located at the PCM (Powertrain Control
Module) or at the Main Harness that runs on the inside of the firewall to the left of
the brake pedal

Arisley

Reaction score
NOTE #3: On DIESELS the TACH wire is a WHITE/PINK located at the PCM (Powertrain Control
Module) or at the Main Harness that runs on the inside of the firewall to the left of
the brake pedal

Yeah, that's what I got. That bundle right there is a huge pain to get to.

According to this diagram. Pin 19 goes directly to the tach. I think I can pull the instrumant cluster and get to it easier than trying to break into that bundle on the firewall.

SD_Wiring_Diagram1.jpg

Arisley

Reaction score
Got it installed. Using that tach wire does something to the electronics. Runs for a mile or so and dies. I went tachless, it somehows sees that it is running (helps to read the manual a little better). Everything is working great.

moose99psd

Reaction score
what kind of system did you go with? im thinking about one for my truck before winter so i can start it when i wake up and its toasty when i leave :D

02POWERSTROKE7.3

Reaction score
Tachless measures voltage before starting and then again 30-40 seconds after cranking on a diesel to let the batteries recover. For people when the winter gets really cold the batteries do not recover fast enough and you have to change to the crank only option.

Arisley

Reaction score
what kind of system did you go with? im thinking about one for my truck before winter so i can start it when i wake up and its toasty when i leave :D

A Galaxy 5000RS 2W. Got it from Commando Car Alarms. Got the Skynet addition so you can program it through a laptop. Much better than counting chirps.