FFD 205/?? 30 or 80?

purpleheart350

Reaction score
Going to be ordering injectors here very soon. I have decided on Full Force 205's, but now is the ultimate question 30% or 80%? :popcorn: Mods are or will be done along with injectors
GTP38R w/ turbomaster waste gate
gutted and ******d EBPV
boost fooler
aFe IC pipes
4" tubo back straight
Riffraff FRx
Bigger banjo bolts
Strictly Diesel HPx
Beans sump with RiffRaff inline prepump filter
built trans w/ moshimoto transcooler
gauges
Hydra

Zeb

Reaction score
If you’re going to be running the GTP38R most guys are happier with the 30% nozzle. With a “better” turbo the 80% are a great choice.

purpleheart350

Reaction score
Happier as in what aspect? Overall performance or just how it runs? I don't want to regret not doing the other of whatever i get. I have not been able to find a solid answer upon looking. I have seen/read guys run 38R and 80's and are very happy with it and others say that they smoke to much and end up with the 30's. I know a lot also comes down to tuning and each truck is different. I called FF and they said 205/30 and when i talked to tuner they say 205/80. :fustrate: :morons:

Zeb

Reaction score
Happier as in what aspect? Overall performance or just how it runs? I don't want to regret not doing the other of whatever i get. I have not been able to find a solid answer upon looking. I have seen/read guys run 38R and 80's and are very happy with it and others say that they smoke to much and end up with the 30's. I know a lot also comes down to tuning and each truck is different. I called FF and they said 205/30 and when i talked to tuner they say 205/80. :fustrate: :morons:

You touched on it. A number of guys complain about smoke/egt with 80’s.
I prefer a larger nozzle, and have built multiple A codes and hybrids with 80% nozzles, always use G***head tuning, and have had no complaints.
Those injectors have been used with stock turbos, GTP38R, and S366’s.

psduser1

Reaction score

Tuning to utilize the hpo available will go a long ways to minimize the smoke. A 38r will only make you power "window" wider, compared to a stock turbo. Same comparing the newer sxe turbos compared to a 38r.

TMCCOY

Reaction score
I ran a 38R for a couple years with the 80 percent nozzles and would say to go with 30 due to how smokey it was. I tried two different custom tuners and still didn't find nirvana with it. The SXE made a big difference however.

The Brad

Reaction score
If you’re dead set on a drop in turbo, take a look at KC Turbos and give them a call. Mine was a smokey pig with the 38r until I installed an SXE, but that cost isn’t for everyone. How much and how often are you towing?

purpleheart350

Reaction score
If you’re dead set on a drop in turbo, take a look at KC Turbos and give them a call. Mine was a smokey pig with the 38r until I installed an SXE, but that cost isn’t for everyone. How much and how often are you towing?

I have had the 38r in the truck for a few years now. If it ever goes (knock on wood that it doesnt) then I will for sure go with the KC. I dont tow all that much but if i do 10k is about the most.

jbolen323

Reaction score
I really enjoy the 205cc/30% injectors, ive installed a lot of sets of them on a variation of trucks from towing rigs to. I have a handful of testing with to do still with them before I bump my truck up before swapping them to 238-80s. I really do enjoy going straight to just a 238-80% for a daily and light tow rig setup. Ill be able to give a little more information on 30% vs 80% nozzle in about a month or so. I do heavyyyy hauling and testing here in Arizona so I really put it through the paces.

A turbo is going to be a higher priority in my opinion when into a 80% and above and towing, tuning plays a huge role as well.

we just posted a nice data log over at KCTurbos facebook page about a comparison on single shots vs hybrids specially the 205cc/30%

https://www.facebook.com/KCTurbos/posts/2319051258306441

Last edited:

psduser1

Reaction score
What sort of elevations, jbolen?
What sort of weight?
Curious, because I've pulled 14k + through the mountains on the east side of the country, and I am currently in the mountains, sort of, on the west side of the country (southern utah). Unfortunately, not with my truck, but I am getting a feel for the grades, etc., over here.

jbolen323

Reaction score
What sort of elevations, jbolen?
What sort of weight?
Curious, because I've pulled 14k + through the mountains on the east side of the country, and I am currently in the mountains, sort of, on the west side of the country (southern utah). Unfortunately, not with my truck, but I am getting a feel for the grades, etc., over here.

I am all over the place in weight, minimal 13klb roughly upwards to 35klbs+. Retired out of trucking with 15 years, and now just do hotshot loads. Based out of Arizona so we have huge heat and mountains for the most part and put a giant strain on testing and the trucks.

if you got 205/30 and get setup with a proper turbo and tuning, you would be very well balanced and enjoy it.

psduser1

Reaction score
When you say "205/30%", you are referring to a small hybrid, I assume?

One of my trucks has a set of 180/100, the other has 205/80 injectors, both a codes. I'm fairly happy with the setups, but I haven't had to work them out here, and I can see room for improvement where I am at now.

Strokersace

Reaction score
I’m close to getting back into the 7.3 game and researching turbos and injectors.

Truck will be used to tow loads. Sometimes might, but mostly heavy. Not raced or sled pulled in any way. Occasionally daily driven.

For my needs, I’m looking at a sxe364.5 with big turbine wheel, and either a .91 or 1.0 housing. Wish I could find some definitive differences between the 2 exhaust housings.

As for injectors I am looking VERY hard at some 205/30 hybrids to pair with the turbo. However, I haven’t seen much on the 205/80 hybrids with that turbo.

Truck isn’t in hand yet and will be going through a bit of a transition as I take ownership, but want to set it up for my needs. Any help would be appreciated.

The Brad

Reaction score
I’m running 200/80s, 364.5/74/.91 on 35”s and 3.73 gears and it’ll tow anything I hook to it without having to manage smoke and EGTs. No need for a tow tune. My only limiting factor is how much stress do I want to put the drivetrain through. I just spent $500 having new splines welded to my driveshaft along with new U joints.

Strokersace

Reaction score
I’m running 200/80s, 364.5/74/.91 on 35”s and 3.73 gears and it’ll tow anything I hook to it without having to manage smoke and EGTs. No need for a tow tune. My only limiting factor is how much stress do I want to put the drivetrain through. I just spent $500 having new splines welded to my driveshaft along with new U joints.

Your post brings up some other thoughts as I look at turbos and injectors...

Most feedback I have seen involves 3.73 gears and 35 inch or taller tires. The truck that I would be looking to do this to has 4.10 gears and stock 32 inch tall tires. That won’t change either. Also a built Automatic transmission.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I’m close to getting back into the 7.3 game and researching turbos and injectors.

Truck will be used to tow loads. Sometimes might, but mostly heavy. Not raced or sled pulled in any way. Occasionally daily driven.

For my needs, I’m looking at a sxe364.5 with big turbine wheel, and either a .91 or 1.0 housing. Wish I could find some definitive differences between the 2 exhaust housings.

As for injectors I am looking VERY hard at some 205/30 hybrids to pair with the turbo. However, I haven’t seen much on the 205/80 hybrids with that turbo.

Truck isn’t in hand yet and will be going through a bit of a transition as I take ownership, but want to set it up for my needs. Any help would be appreciated.
What are your doubts about the way it is already set up?

live life full throttle

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
None. And I may frankly keep it exactly how it is! Just wanting some feedback in the event I switch it up! Lol

I can rarely leave something alone...
I completely understand! Along with many advancements since it was last live tuned. Im sure you can make a 450hp tow rig and be dam near smoke free.....

live life full throttle

Latest posts

Members online