ladder/traction bar idea

248superduty

Reaction score
I have build traction bars for a lot of offroad vehicles in the last few years and on those we always do the two point mount on the axle tube as close to the diff housing as possible and then use a very short shackle at the "frame" end. and its usually welded to the t case skid plate. im wondering why nobody does this on these trucks?

sootie

Reaction score
because it isnt enough to stop the axle wrap with the torque these trucks have. the reason you put bars near the base of the spring pack is because that is where the pivot point is. these axles actually "steer" under load if you kno what i mean.

248superduty

Reaction score
Yes I do but in all actuality the pivot point is and the diff housing. It is transfered to the leaf springs by way of axle tubes. The best setup would be a pinion snubber or welding directly to the diff housing. I have seen axle tubes break off the welds holding them to the diff housing. The closer you are to the housing the better. And believe me a full race ready trophy truck has the same power most of these trucks do. Look at the way they are set up.

sootie

Reaction score
right, but those trophy trucks need all the articulation they can get. a single bar will still not stop the axle from steering. i have seen axle tubes turn also-hence why mine are welded to the diff housing. dont forget about axle hop either...

248superduty

Reaction score
Yes and a well designed single ladder bar (top and bottom mount on axle single point on "frame" end with shackle) will work much better

HOOV3R

Reaction score
A true trophy truck runs a linked rear without leaves. A gas engine will never make the torque that a diesel makes. High torque = large amount of wrap.

IDIoit

Reaction score
back from the dead

so im bringing this thread back to active duty.
i have looked at numerous set ups on how to cure my axle wrap.
im a lead food driver and nothing more frustrating then trying to launch my truck,
and having to ease off the throttle because i feel im on a GD mechanical bull.

i build my trucks for go, screw show.
IMO those traction bars they sell that mounts under the axle are nothing more than a scream for attention.

i agree that actual ladder bars are the best but i dont want them to be seen.

what exactly axle wrap is...
Axlewrap.jpeg

tell me if im wrong guys, but im thinking of making some brackets to
weld close to the center section on both sides of the axle tubes, on the top of the diff

using 2 x 2 x 1/4 wall to tie the axle tubes together.
then mounting a Y shaped bar to them with one single mounting point to the frame.
all 3 bungs will be swivel bungs, so that it wont hinder the movement of the leaf springs.

i just feel that the movement of the rearend under axle wrap conditions should be pushed rather than pulled like the under the axle type bars.

lots of controversy on this subject. but what do you guys think?

also, i would never weld to cast iron... but thats my preference

Last edited:

Layson

Reaction score

IDIoit

Reaction score
none of your links wok buddy!
ive always peloaded my pinion angle up on my racecars, under accelleration ( 3 or 4 link designs)
the pinion will actually drop down, in the rotation of the tires.
but i guess if you want to launch in reverse this would be correct...
i could be wrong, someone correct me if i am.

blk99

Reaction score
Videos worked for me.... weird....

I need traction bars in the worst way (tow HEAVY alot and have 330k miles on the springs) but i just cant seem to justify $800 for 2 bars and some brackets, right now....

IDIoit

Reaction score
if i do the Y design, it will cost me 250 bucks for material.
i do all my own fab work.
i came up with this design off of the design of a J bar, that controls pinion angle on late model dirt track cars.

blk99

Reaction score
Fab wise i could do my own stuff too but making sure the geometry is right is what deters me a little....

blk99

Reaction score
The outer shell just gets welded into a relief cut in the end of the tube?

IDIoit

Reaction score
too bad those poly bushings would bind, id be ordering 3 of those right now lol

this is a job for the linclon 275 precision tig! :D

Layson

Reaction score
none of your links wok buddy!
ive always peloaded my pinion angle up on my racecars, under accelleration ( 3 or 4 link designs)
the pinion will actually drop down, in the rotation of the tires.
but i guess if you want to launch in reverse this would be correct...
i could be wrong, someone correct me if i am.

If you can watch the videos. It has some good footage of axle wrap.

Latest posts

Members online