1978 Crew Cab F250 4X4, 7.3 POWERSTROKE Conversion

1killerz

Reaction score
This is going to be great when your done. Keep your eye on the prize!! I don't remember if you discussed color or not yet. Are you sticking with the black? You looking at gear changes in the axles or are the ratios good?

Thanks. Definitely keeping my eye on it.

I am going with Black. I know, oh so typical, but it has always been my favorite color.

The axles are set at 4:10 gear ratio. With the overdrive trans and the 37" tires, should be still good to go as a daily driver.

In my rush to get the donor's guts out, I forgot to snag the transmission cooler (factory), including the lines. I called my local parts store, they are stating there are 3 different sizes transmission coolers, and they don't know about the lines. asked me for a part number. Really close to firing up the truck, despite how it looks currently, so I need to be sure to get the cooler and lines so I don't pump out all of my trans fluids on to my buddy's pole barn floor.

Lubbockguy1979

Reaction score
Get the bigger/biggest. Lots of folks use a 6.0 radiator for the tranny cooler on 7.3 superduties. They also use the 6.0 intercooler on obs fords too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

1killerz

Reaction score
Get the bigger/biggest. Lots of folks use a 6.0 radiator for the tranny cooler on 7.3 superduties. They also use the 6.0 intercooler on obs fords too.

Will do. Unfortunately the Donor was not inter-cooled. Is there much to do in regards to setting up the inter-cooler on my 1996 set up?
Its funny you mentioned that, me and my buddy were just talking about the possibility of it needing an inter-coooler set up.

bluedge8

Reaction score
Mishimoto just came out with a trans cooler, it's huge. Are you running stock sticks?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Lubbockguy1979

Reaction score
The obs all were non intercooled. Starting with the superduty is when they started with intercoolers if i remember correctly

Lubbockguy1979

Reaction score

1killerz

Reaction score
Mishimoto just came out with a trans cooler, it's huge. Are you running stock sticks?

Everything about the drive train is stock currently. No plans to try and make huge power, just simple things to make it reliable and usable.

1killerz

Reaction score
Here is one of many threads about it. I pay attention to some of the stuff but have never had a 7.3 truck. So far just a few 6.0 trucks and a 6.7. Im not very fluent in 6.7 as ive barely made it to first oil change territory on my 7mo old 2016 f350

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...share_tid=130319&share_fid=90776&share_type=t

6.0L INtercooler on an OBS 7.3?

Thank you for the link. Very much appreciated.

1killerz

Reaction score
You don't NEED an intercooler with stock inj's

OK. Thank you for the info. Down the road if I do anything such as injector upgrades, I will know to go the inter-cooler route.
Right now, time to focus on getting it running again, starting with the trans cooler and lines.

1killerz

Reaction score
Trans-cooler kit is ordered. I went generic route through Summit, heavy duty. Hoping to install this weekend as well as dremel my firewall hole for the portal of "modern-ish technology". Pictures to come.

1killerz

Reaction score
more updates, few weekends prior to install of trans cooler...

Busy weekend for sure.
I found a M101 military trailer, locally, and correctly priced. Problem, I'm running out of space again and do not need to piss off the township again (or do I?)

Problem solved.
Sold the 1967 MGB I just picked up to my buddy, grabbed the m101 and put it in the garage spot where the MGB was.

Also brought Eleanor home from my buddy's pole barn (same guy who bought the MGB) now that the weather is nice. No pictures yet of the trailer, but it will be my next project after Eleanor's done (and will be used behind Eleanor for our many adventures to come.

With Eleanor home, I can do some late night summer wrenching from the comfort of my own home.

1killerz

Reaction score
so now that Eleanor is home, and the M101 is tucked away in the garage, my intent is to take this weekend and tidy up my work space, utilize the trailer as a work bench for my wiring, and start making some progress. I ordered a Lisle 57780 Terminal Tool for Ford to assist in breaking down the donor wiring harness.
I know, I know, just cut it. Well my worry is that some of the wiring is short in spots, and since I don't know how much I need and where to connect certain things, simply playing it safe.

1killerz

Reaction score
Making slow progress. Took in an underling (minion?) who's headed off to diesel trade school in the fall. So he's helping/learning at the same time. Not that I'm a good teacher, just that it will definitely be something unique enough for him to enjoy learning on.

Working on lining up the fenders so the door's lines match up. Then there's the hood. MF! I don't know why I didn't chalk line where the bolts were before I removed it. I know better. But I digress.

Aftermarket trans cooler and lines are hooked up and routed. Need to cinch all those to the rail and the like.

Planning on finishing the cinching of trans lines this weekend and finishing the hood fitment. Next is the drop pitman arm install (when it gets here) so that I can steer this pig again without the use of a sledge hammer pound the sidewalls of my MTR's next time we move it. Pics to come when there is something "cool" to show.

1killerz

Reaction score
action shots of trans cooler install (sexy, right?)

Sexy stuff right here. Involves a butt plug for the rear line of the transmission (had to remove). I used a spark plug.
Installed the trans cooler in front of the radiator. Not much room to get my cow milkers in there. Good thing I acquired the protege. Skinny long arms and non-milk man hands helped out a lot.
With Eleanor home and working on her, much easier than to commute 20 minutes to my buddies, my youngest has also decided he will use the baja rack as his "fort" while dad works on the truck.

ELEANORS_BUTT_PLUG_LI.jpg

ELEANORS_TRANS_COOLER_LI.jpg

ELEANOR_S_TRANS_COOLER_NOT_FOR_BIG_HANDED_PEOPLE.jpg

ELEANOR_S_TRANCOOLER_TIGHT_FIT.jpg

LIAMS_NEW_FAVORITE_SPOT.jpg

Last edited:

1killerz

Reaction score
update

I work on Eleanor at night, after little dude goes to bed. Weather here has kept me inside the last week (too damn cold).
On the plus side, I found a shop to do the wiring (locally at that). They will have an opening for me come march/april. My goal is to finish up the wiring before that time (I really want to complete it myself). But in the end, I just want it done so I can start driving it (after other stuff beyond the wiring).

1killerz

Reaction score
input

Anybody have experience with SORD Sky Manufacturing cross over steering kit?

Eleanor's D60 has the set up, was actually on there when I bought her with the D44. When I swapped over, I noticed the bar was pretty banged up, and now I have seemed to misplace the drop pit man arm.

So, I figured I might as well as upgrade. Any thoughts based on experience?

Here's the link to the product.

https://www.skysoffroaddesign.com/co...dana-60csk-001

1killerz

Reaction score
update

I haven't died, nor did the project. Nope, instead I have done numerous things to speed along the conversion process, as well as numerous things that are delaying the conversion process (a dual edged sword if you will).

Didn't help the conversion process #1 (but it did help clear my head)-->So, I bought a boat. first time boater. And living in Michigan, we get about 4 months maximum of decent boating weather. So I had some learning to do. And let me tell you what. Lesson #1--> sunscreen

Didn't help the conversion process #2 (but it helped initiate my 10 year into who was Smokey and the Bandit)--> I also bought a 76 firebird formula. Sorted out all it needs just in time to not to be able to sell cause cruising season is over. Live and learn.

Didn't help the conversion process #3 (but it may, as it is still a 7.3PS)--> The family of the kid I bought Lucipher off of (my 1996 CCLB) came to buy it back, so I bought a 2001 Excursion Limited 7.3 and tweaked that some to my liking

Helped the conversion process #1, because this is a MOFO package deal!!! --> finished up the m101 (my tow behind support trailer). Added a roof top tent, matching military tires to Eleanor, and some weatherproof long gun storage.

Helped the conversion process #2, because I will loose my MF'ing mind if I stare at wiring for too long (fyi, I still can't eat spaghetti without triggering some sort of PTSD)-->I did have the SORD cross-over steering kit put on. Mounted nicely, I have no idea of usability cause I still don't have her running yet.

Helped the conversion process #3, because in case you don't know by now, I am not an electrician, let alone a mechanic-->Finally bought the electrical and vacuum shop manual. Found one that wasn't being asked for it's weight in gold, so that worked out pretty nice.

Helped the conversion process #4, because I'm tired of tripping over miles of wire that resemble spaghetti (ahhhh!!!!)-->Cleared out all the remnants of this past summer's projects and small joys from my garage, so that I can start mapping and installing the semi-custom (custom, as in I touched it and modified it. lol) wiring harness.

Warning and full disclosure: I am armed with a multi-meter, a book written by engineers, a dream, and plenty of beer. Pictures to come of all the aforementioned shenanigans and the weekly updates associated with fall/winter/not boating weather...

Latest posts

Members online