Go faster engaged

qzillanut

Reaction score
I pulled the trigger and did the full D. E l ete on my new truck. Didn’t go as smooth as I had hoped, so I have to give thanks to Mike and Jeff at No Limit Fabrication, for coming to my rescue at 7 pm on a Saturday. They quickly got the tunes lined out and didn’t leave me hanging. All of the No Limit parts fit perfect and leak free. I went with darkside tunes, and well I have no doubt we will sort them out. The engine runs amazing, but the trans tuning leaves much to be desired. Probably mostly due to relearn.

Attachments

• 3B1BF53D-FEFE-4B63-A639-E8699C12EDCB.jpg
    3B1BF53D-FEFE-4B63-A639-E8699C12EDCB.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 314
  • 4E7FECE9-6DA0-4B2C-9460-9C686AB59E8F.jpg
    4E7FECE9-6DA0-4B2C-9460-9C686AB59E8F.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 328
  • 2A6B18EF-B39A-4038-B4D9-DB3BC80D8146.jpg
    2A6B18EF-B39A-4038-B4D9-DB3BC80D8146.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 312
  • 79C45AE0-2AA7-46EC-935E-3D54A3B02274.jpg
    79C45AE0-2AA7-46EC-935E-3D54A3B02274.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 306

qzillanut

Reaction score
A whole lot of people came through for me and helped me through a jam tonight, and I greatly appreciate it. I don’t believe another person in the industry would have come through like Mike and Jeff from No Limit Fabrication on a Saturday evening. To be honest I figured I was screwed until Monday, but they came through.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
yeah buddy !! give the trans 100 miles or so, and if it doesnt feel perfect, let me know and we'll mess with it. Glad we were able to get you helped out , i was in the middle of a dinner party and just happened to check my phone! enjoy, and let me know if you need any more assistance !

qzillanut

Reaction score
I’ve drove it about 200 miles now. The shifting is much improved after relearn. There is more noticeable shifting flare between gears than stock. That may just be the nature of the beast, adding so much power in gears 1-3. They only sent me one transmission file. Jeff had said while talking on the phone there would be a few to try. Like one that had and early 2nd gear converter lockup. The only transmission file I have is just added line pressure based on the description.

The truck is so much more fun to drive, and have gained a solid 2 mpg. So when I say I gained 2 mpg....I actually gained more, because I can’t keep my foot out of the throttle now. Before I would milk it for everything I could. Now I flog on it frequently. After the new wears off and I drive it more sensibly, I’m sure that number will be a 3-4 mpg gain.

Hoosierdaddy

Reaction score
You should have no flare between shifts. I would make sure that gets corrected unless you’re ok with building a transmission sooner than later. Hopefully they have a file with improved shift timing instead of just bumping the line pressure.

sootie

Reaction score
I've heard that the adaptive memory needs to be cleared with ids when switching tunes and shifting is much improved

qzillanut

Reaction score
In my opinion the shifts are too firm with too much flare. The engine revs a bit followed by a fairly harsh clunking shift. It’s the worst at full throttle, and honestly I’ve learned not to take it past 3/4 throttle. Half to 3/4 throttle runs as hard and shifts better and sooner which also seems to help. The pavement was wet today as it rained some, and that really messed with it. No traction and traction control kicking in. Don’t get me wrong, I’m loving the change. Just want to get it spot on perfect. But even after 200+ miles it just seems to keep getting better about not acting dumb.

qzillanut

Reaction score
I've heard that the adaptive memory needs to be cleared with ids when switching tunes and shifting is much improved

You have spoken over my head. I’m not much of a computer guy. Just an old school machinist with a knack for welding. With some interpretation and minor coaching I’m sure I can manage to do what you just said, but at the moment I’m striking out on google and don’t know myself.

sootie

Reaction score
You have spoken over my head. I’m not much of a computer guy. Just an old school machinist with a knack for welding. With some interpretation and minor coaching I’m sure I can manage to do what you just said, but at the moment I’m striking out on google and don’t know myself.
Ids is ford dealer software. They can go in and clear the transmissions adaptive memory. Don't let them flash the TCM though

8WR_ZJ

Reaction score
Can forscan be used on the 17's to clear the adaptive learning?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

sootie

Reaction score
Can forscan be used on the 17's to clear the adaptive learning?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

it can, but doesnt seem to have the same result as when done with IDS

qzillanut

Reaction score
Well I didn’t do any of that and my shifting is ok for normal driving. I only get weird stuff at above 2/3 throttle. But I have to be honest....I can’t tell for sure what it’s doing. Most of the time if it does something that feels “wrong” it’s because the traction control kicked in because it blowed the tires loose. It does some real weird stuff when that happens. But for the most part it’s good after relearn, and learning how to drive it. It’s definetly a different feel than the 4r100 that I was used to. So much more shifting.

Black AOD

Reaction score
Well I didn’t do any of that and my shifting is ok for normal driving. I only get weird stuff at above 2/3 throttle. But I have to be honest....I can’t tell for sure what it’s doing. Most of the time if it does something that feels “wrong” it’s because the traction control kicked in because it blowed the tires loose. It does some real weird stuff when that happens. But for the most part it’s good after relearn, and learning how to drive it. It’s definetly a different feel than the 4r100 that I was used to. So much more shifting.

Talk to Chatty Cathy (Jared) on here. He had the same issues and cleared his adaptive learning and he said it made his truck a whole new animal. He has Darkside tunes as well.

qzillanut

Reaction score
I’m real happy with my gain in mileage. Got 18.1 this tank on a mix of highway, city and gravel roads. If I were to make a trip and run out a tank at 60 mph all highway, I think it would be 22-24 mpg.

So I have a question about clearing this adaptive learning. Do I take it to the dealer and request them to clear it, and reload the trans file with ez link. Or will the previously loaded file remain and just work better?

8WR_ZJ

Reaction score
You can rest the adaptive learning with the tune file in place. Just be very very clear that you do not want any kind of tcm flash.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

qzillanut

Reaction score
So I took it to my local dealer where I bought the truck 2 weeks ago, and asked them to reset the adaptive memory. I was very specific and even showed them every comment on this thread. They were insistent that it would make no difference but agreed to do it. After they did whatever they did, it definitely went through relearn again. And I don’t think it shifts as well as it did before. It’s definitely not right. So I’m at the point where I don’t know if my contrary dealer did something wrong or if I have a tuning issue.

Black AOD

Reaction score
So I took it to my local dealer where I bought the truck 2 weeks ago, and asked them to reset the adaptive memory. I was very specific and even showed them every comment on this thread. They were insistent that it would make no difference but agreed to do it. After they did whatever they did, it definitely went through relearn again. And I don’t think it shifts as well as it did before. It’s definitely not right. So I’m at the point where I don’t know if my contrary dealer did something wrong or if I have a tuning issue.

What part of the country are you in

Latest posts

Members online