6.0 chugging gray smoke

01REDSTROKER

Reaction score
just a little back ground info.
2005, deleted 6.0. no tuning
good ficm voltage

truck ran great, not issues other than a minor case of sticking spool valves that rev-x took care of.

Drove truck about 100 mi. home, let it idle while i unloaded gear.(no issues)
next morning went to leave, started it and it just chugged white fuel smoke.

pulled injectors and sent out and was told 4 of them had cracked nozzles.

installed injectors,new standpipes and plugs and checked fuel pressure, it had about 48. installed blue spring and it jumped to 60. went to start and it took longer than another injector install start up i have done.

it will start if you give it "gas" and lots of cranking. but blows tons of black/gray/ white smoke and will not idle on its own.

01REDSTROKER

Reaction score
I have a injector 1 low code. I don't have the code with me right now.
All of the injectors got sent to warren diesel for a rebuild. All have new nozzles.
I was watching the icp today and the ipr has to close and then it will build hpo but take a lot of turning over all most to the point of running the batts to low.

Lassie

Reaction score
Is it an injector 1 circuit low code? If it is, it could be an electrical issue in the injector circuit, FICM pin, or coil itself.

If it has gotten worse since the work, it is possible you didn't get an injector seated also and comb gases are entering the fuel rail. Might be a good idea to pull #1 and check the installation on the side.

01REDSTROKER

Reaction score
yes before i pulled the injectors the truck started great just blew white fuel smoke and had a bad idle. now it is really hard to start and blows more tones more gray/white fuel smoke.

do the O-rings in the fuel/ oil rail ever go bad (where the stem comes out for the injector)
i ask because the drivers side didnt move when i wiped them off the passenger side would move around with light pressure of a rag.

Last edited:

Lassie

Reaction score
I change orings anytime the injectors are pulled. But, surely your injectors had new orings just coming from Warrens...right?

swinky

Reaction score
Pretty sure a coil won't cause this. You say the ipr has to close to build hpo? So the ipr is above 70% as it's just trying to idle?

01REDSTROKER

Reaction score
swinky. yes the ipr% is high when it is trying to idle. i must have a hpo leak.

lassie. yes injector o-rings and washers are new. i am trying to figure out if the nipple that comes out of the fuel/oil rail ever fails. on the other two trucks i did injectors on i do not remember the nipples moving, but my passenger side did while i cleaning them off.

Lassie

Reaction score
They will all move in the oil rail. If you're concerned about a leak, an air test will tell you pretty quick.

But since you're problems started after the injector change, and you're getting a #1 code, I am thinking you have a injector not fully seated, or damaged an injector's oil feed oring.

Have you power balanced? I'd air test from the weak side oil rail, and if you find no leak, dig into the offending injector and inspect. If nothing is found, pull all on that side and check for loose hold downs, missing/doubled washers, and signs of combustion burn up to fuel orings.

01REDSTROKER

Reaction score
It started before the injector change.
It is just worse after.

I ordered new o rings and copper washers as well as a oil rail rebuild kit. Going to see what that does.

Latest posts

Members online