Dana 60 srw to drw conversion

fordfreak4life

Reaction score
Is it possible to convert a Dana 60 to a dually? I need it to handle the extra weight, I've been looking for a dually axle for my 02 but not having any luck.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

DieselDC

Reaction score
For the front yes.

For the rear... I hope your not asking for the rear!

Edit... weight wise, 60 upfront is great. Anything more you’re asking for worn out parts quite quickly.
—————signature—————
~Don’t overthink something simple~
...:uptight people suck:...

Last edited:

fordfreak4life

Reaction score
For the front yes.

For the rear... I hope your not asking for the rear!

Edit... weight wise, 60 upfront is great. Anything more you’re asking for worn out parts quite quickly.
—————signature—————
Yes I'm referring to the rear, the front will stay the way it is. I need more weight handling for the rear. 2 tires isn't enough when I get a trailer hooked up

DieselDC

Reaction score
The simple answer is yes with money.

The reality of your wants is no. You can however, go look at diamond axles and see if they will build you one with d60 parts.

After you get the axle, what do you want to do with the suspension? If nothing, then the new axle won’t help and would be a waste of time. This whole idea is a waste of time btw...

Just so you know, sterling 10.25/10.5 is stronger than a D60 in every way. If you want carrying weight, upgrade to a d80, buy SRW conversions for it and you’ll be set (same cap with custom SRW or keep the dually).

My only concern is why are you overloading a sterling rear to the point that you think you need stronger carrying cap resulting in the need for stronger axles? BTW, I flat out overload my sterling 10.5 and d80 all the damn time. Both of them have f550 leaf springs. Only the sterling has the sway bar (1.25” thick IIRC).

—————signature—————

Last edited:

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Is it possible to convert a Dana 60 to a dually? I need it to handle the extra weight, I've been looking for a dually axle for my 02 but not having any luck.

You would be way better off finding a D80. Like said, to beef it up better then a 10.5 would cost some money. Im guessing for what it would cost for bearings and hubs and brakes, you would be able to find a D80.

live life full throttle

fordfreak4life

Reaction score
You would be way better off finding a D80. Like said, to beef it up better then a 10.5 would cost some money. Im guessing for what it would cost for bearings and hubs and brakes, you would be able to find a D80.

live life full throttle
I got quoted 2850$ from the only salvage yard that had one in stock around here. That's a little excessive

Arisley

Reaction score
In my truck I once carried two pallet of sod, it was wet and weighed at least 2500 lbs. per pallet. Truck handles it fine. I once loaded it with over a yard of pea gravel, right at 4000 lbs., truck handles it no sweat. While I never worried about the axles, I was a little concerned about the springs. I found out later by talking with the previous owner, that the truck had heavier duty rear springs on it. That would explain why with two pallets of grass, it was on the overloads, but they still had a lot of movement left in them.

Try upgrading the springs first, these rear ends are pretty freaking stout. Only downside to my rear end is that it kept going through spider gears.

8WR_ZJ

Reaction score
I think the OP is worried about tire capacity. I am in the same boat. My truck handles and tows my 44 ft 5rh wheel zero issues even in stronger winds. It does have a 2800 lb pin weight. I am more worried about a tire blowout and losing control with a SRW truck. I am running 4080 lb tires 129Q. Although i think I am fine i just worry what if. This why i too have considered converting mine to a drw in the rear axle only, just for the simple CYA.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

fordfreak4life

Reaction score
That's exactly my reasoning, pickup weighs 10k before I hook the trailer up and load hay

Latest posts

Members online