Head gaskets bad ?

Smokin 6.0

Reaction score
So I've got a 2005 Super Duty that I just bought off a guy that clams it was all "stock".. ran out good but no coolant in degas bottle. Zero rust(Florida truck) so I bought it anyway have all the parts ordered to stud it. But today I noticed that when I let it warm up the vents were warm when I pulled out of the driveway and after a minute of driving it went cold then a minute later hot again. Obviously the tstat at work but the rest of the drive (30-40 miles) I took it easy not getting over 10psi of boost and it never puked coolant forgot to add that I had added coolant to the min line. Is there a chance that it's a bad stat ? I mean I'm studding it anyway just made me curious.

Zeb

Reaction score
Here’s a check you can do to see if the head gaskets are good. Get it up to operating temperature, then fill the degas tank completely full. Get someone to hold it at 2,000 rpm while you watch the degas tank with the cap off. If the head gaskets are good it WILL NOT bubble. If they are leaking it will burp a big bubble every 6-12 seconds in my experience.

Smokin 6.0

Reaction score
So woke up this morning and there was a huge puddle of antifreeze under the truck. Haven't driven it since I made this post when I shut it down that night it hadent puked at all but was still under pressure. Looks like it's running down the back of the block and off the bellhousing. Gunna say the head gaskets are toast

Zeb

Reaction score
So woke up this morning and there was a huge puddle of antifreeze under the truck. Haven't driven it since I made this post when I shut it down that night it hadent puked at all but was still under pressure. Looks like it's running down the back of the block and off the bellhousing. Gunna say the head gaskets are toast

I’ve only see one head gasket leak to the outside, and that was when an over torqued head stud broke.
If coolant is running off the back of the motor, particularly the passengers side, it’s probably the egr ****** leaking. I’ve seen tons of cheap ones leak.

Zeb

Reaction score
But that still wouldn't have any effect on the overpressurizing at the degas bottle right ?

Is it over pressuring?

Heat makes pressure, and the system is designed to have pressure to (combined with antifreeze/coolant) raise the boiling point. Normal cooling system pressure can make a dandy leak from the egr ******.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
have you tested cap bleed off pressure?

also, where about ya located?

Zeb

Reaction score
Not sure what your talking about ?

He’s referring to the fact that the cap is supposed to to hold 16 psi. Many of them don’t, especially if they have some age on them.
If they are weak they can allow coolant to puke, and then people think they have a head gasket issue.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.