Fuel Mileage

Turbosuzuki

Reaction score
OK guys any info on how to increase fuel mileage. My truck seems to really suffer in this department. I'm no mechanic but I can change some parts as long as I can watch a video on it.
Truck is a 2001 7.3 4x4 and it's gets about 95 miles to a 1/4 tank. It gets under 400 to a tank. I need to do a full tank and calculate it but I feel it gets horrible fuel mileage.

Truck has a tymar intake 4" exhaust with a huge muffler stock tunes 3.73 gears 285/75r16 tires with 65psi front and back. Oil which is valvoline has about 1700 miles on it fresh fuel filter also. I just replaced the ebps and tubing with no noticeable results which suck.
I drive 65 mph when I do 70 mph it kills the mileage quick so I try to run between 60-65.

Truck seems happiest at that mph also. Oh the hubs are locked but would that make that big of a difference? The increase in tire psi made the biggest change so far. I'm fixing to do another oil change maybe try something another type of oil. I baby the truck plus it's REALLY slow and it just made 272,000 miles. Thanks for any help or advice

DieselDC

Reaction score
just b/c you get better mpg at a slower speed, you’re annoying everyone else.

60-65 is a boring speed. At least 70mph. Look into a gearvendor.

—————signature—————
~Don’t overthink something simple~
...:uptight people suck:...

EPA

Reaction score
Passing lanes on the left... If someone riding the left lane get on them haha... Seattle is 65. I do 65-68 and if some jackass is rolling up on me in the slow lane to pass someone in the fast I smash on it to let them in.... Its not really slow people who mess up the road its clueless people who drive a vehicle without paying any attention to everyone else on the road and don't try to anticipate others actions .... Also the slow fast lane drivers...
I 2nd the gearvender... I also get better mpg with a mild tune and unlock the hubs your increasing rotating mass by having them locked.

Last edited:

Turbosuzuki

Reaction score
just b/c you get better mpg at a slower speed, you’re annoying everyone else.

60-65 is a boring speed. At least 70mph. Look into a gearvendor.

—————signature—————
~Don’t overthink something simple~
...:uptight people suck:...

Oh trust me I stay out of people's way for sure. It sucks going that slow but you wouldn't believe how quick the mileage starts to suck within 5 or so mph. Motor seems more relaxed as well just dropping the rpms around 1800-1900 then anything over 2000

rusty1161

Reaction score
Check for dragging brakes and bad wheel bearings. Ditch any extra weight you can.

And leaving the hubs locked adds drag in the front driveline, try driving unlocked unless you need to shift to 4WD in a hurry.

Rusty

Turbosuzuki

Reaction score
Passing lanes on the left... If someone riding the left lane get on them haha... Seattle is 65. I do 65-68 and if some jackass is rolling up on me in the slow lane to pass someone in the fast I smash on it to let them in.... Its not really slow people who mess up the road its clueless people who drive a vehicle without paying any attention to everyone else on the road and anticipating there actions and the slow fast lane drivers...
I 2nd the gearvender... I also get better mpg with a mild tune and unlock the hubs your increasing rotating mass by having them locked.

Yeah I don't try to hold anyone up. I pay attention and try to give people the right of way and not be a clown driving like a snail. This truck just has no power I got to 80 mph one time and it took a while to get there and the gas pedal was buried. I need to replace the front bearings I don't like having them locked but unlocked they make noise and vibrate

EPA

Reaction score
Put a tune on it. I drive in a 40-60hp tune all day everyday... Makes a huge difference... Best money you will spend. Anytime I drive a stock tune 7.3 I wonder if something is wrong with it haha... My mpgs drop about 2 on stock tune... With a tune You will notice you're using way less throttle to get going and keep her up to speed.

Last edited:

Turbosuzuki

Reaction score
Put a tune on it. I drive in a 40-60hp tune all day everyday... Makes a huge difference... Best money you will spend. Anytime I drive a stock tune 7.3 I wonder if something is wrong with it haha... My mpgs drop about 2 on stock tune... With a tune You will notice you're using way less throttle to get going and keep her up to speed.

I was thinking that I just want to make sure I'm getting all I can before I do thst. I thought about dropping g the tank and changing the filters in it. Thanks so far guys lots of great info. It's funny you say that about the throttle because my foot has to be in it deep to merge and manta in speed. When I come up to a hill it's loosing speed quick a easy 5 mph and this is empty truck.

Last edited:

EPA

Reaction score
Make sure you have no up pipe leaks or boost leaks... With 270k you might have some.
I'm gonna be looking through that link tonight haha.. Good post.

Turbosuzuki

Reaction score
Make sure you have no up pipe leaks or boost leaks... With 270k you might have some.
I'm gonna be looking through that link tonight haha.. Good post.

Yes sir just don't know how to check, the turbo you can hear working big time but no increase in power when you mash it, motor just makes more noise really. Need to find a place that can check my injectors also too make sure they are performing properly

rusty1161

Reaction score
Yes sir just don't know how to check, the turbo you can hear working big time but no increase in power when you mash it, motor just makes more noise really. Need to find a place that can check my injectors also too make sure they are performing properly

Search “boost leak detector” and you'll find posts and videos how to build a tester for cheap and perform a check. It could be as simple as tightening clamps to replacing hoses or resealing your intake plenums.

Rusty

CJunkie

Reaction score
If its an auto have you considered that your trans is weakening? Maybe some slippage in there?

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

Turbosuzuki

Reaction score
Thanks guys. The trans was rebuilt recently the guy I bought it from said. It seems to shirt fine and hold rpms well.

Latest posts

Members online