Stock 7.3 dies intermittently.

jhorn999

Reaction score
Changed CPS and IPR, cleaned and inspected Batt cables. Most of the time it will fire back up but sometimes it will crank and no start. Unplug ICP when not starting and it still won't start. Wait a few minutes and it starts up. I thought the IPR had it fixed because it ran really good after replacing. I'm stumped.

jhorn999

Reaction score
Did you check the ipr pigtail? Oil level? What brand cps?
So, after reading a lot it's my understanding that if the ICP is bad, it can be unplug and the computer will start the truck with a default code. When it wouldn't start I unplugged it and it still didn't start. That should mean the pigtail isn't causing it. The CPS is Motor craft as is the new IPR.

jhorn999

Reaction score
Oh, you said IPR Pigtail; not ICP. I didn't change the Pigtail when I changed the IPR. It seamed like it plugged in fine and the wires going to it seamed OK

ghohouston

Reaction score
Truck will not start with ipr unplugged, WILL start with icp unplugged. Have you scanned for codes? Did you get the tin nut on the ipr tight?

jhorn999

Reaction score
Truck will not start with ipr unplugged, WILL start with icp unplugged. Have you scanned for codes? Did you get the tin nut on the ipr tight?
Ipr plugged in. Tried unplugging ICP But no start. Tin nut is tight and I'm not getting any codes. I'm not sure about the codes though. I only had them on the code reader at O'Reilly's and I've heard that I need to go somewhere with a better reader.

jhorn999

Reaction score
Ran fine this morning but it did that most of the day yesterday. I hate these intermittent problems.

Arisley

Reaction score
When it does not start, does the WTS light come on when you turn the key on.

Check the PCM and IDM relays. They are probably the originals, they get old and weak. Sometimes they fail intermittently.

jhorn999

Reaction score
When it does not start, does the WTS light come on when you turn the key on.

Check the PCM and IDM relays. They are probably the originals, they get old and weak. Sometimes they fail intermittently.
I'll check that. Thanks.

Fordfireman

Reaction score
What did you find out?

This is happening to me and I'm just curious what you found? Was it the relay's? I've checked them but they check out fine unless they're just failing intermittently.