Studding a 6.0 without removing the heads

Smokin 6.0

Reaction score
Had a guy ask me the other day if I had ever studded a 6.0 without removing the heads. Just taking a good running truck with no issues and removing 1 head bolt at a time and replacing with a stud. I haven't ever heard of it on a 6.0 but I know guys that have done it on 7.3 and not had issues. What's your guys opinion ?

sootie

Reaction score
It's not the correct way to do it. Yes, many of us have done it on maybe a personal truck that we are okay with knowing it won't last and are prepared to do it the right way later. 7.3s and 6.4s have a better success rate due to having more bolts per cylinder.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Pull and pray method. Never done it, I'd personally do it on my own since there is no signs of combustion in cooling system. But never for a customer.

You'll still have issues later, I bet 70% of heads I send out come back still sibling heads, always something else wrong with 1 or both.

Zeb

Reaction score
I’ve done it on 3 trucks. One was my own, 2 were for a low mileage customer trucks that are stock other than an egr ****** and tuner. Mine went 5 years and 55,000 miles at 550-800hp (7 different turbo and injector combos in that time) before the head gaskets failed. Most of those miles were at 650-715 hp.
The 1 truck is still running that way, the other one has changed hands and I’ve lost track of it.
If you do it for someone else be VERY VERY clear with them that longevity it questionable, and that there is NO warranty.

Smokin 6.0

Reaction score
I figured since they had less deadbolts that it wouldn't be as successful as a 7.3 my 7.3 had 260k miles on it when I did it and was 700+ horse after the build and didn't have a issue. I was curious what everyone thought since I'd never heard of anyone doing it

Latest posts

Members online