Blast cabinet build

little luke

Reaction score
I engrave stones and concrete as a side job. After 12 years of using rotary grinders I've decided to step up to blasting set up. After looking around I decided I wasn't going to find a cabinet in my price range of $1k that suits my needs. So after putting the pencil to it i believe I can build one that ill work for $700.

little luke

Reaction score
The dimensions are 48" wide, 36" tall, 36" deep. This was what I picked up from the black smith. My break is only 22" wide so I let them do the bending for me. The bent piece is a 4'x9' piece of 10 gauge and the sheet under neither is a 4'x8'.

Attachments

• WP_20160321_09_40_11_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160321_09_40_11_Pro.jpg
    813.6 KB · Views: 127

little luke

Reaction score
Still rocking a big vic oxy acetylene torch. Been looking at a hypertherm powermax 45 for over a month, but miller is offering a pretty good rebate on a miller 211 and a 625 extreme. Anyway, end caps cut and welded.

Attachments

• WP_20160327_18_35_30_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160327_18_35_30_Pro.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 104

little luke

Reaction score
Both end caps welded. Had to he man it with a pipe wrench because the bends weren't exactly correct.

Btw, forgive the mess. My shop was going through a reconstruction. Then I bought a truck bed load of tools that haven't been sorted yet.

Attachments

• WP_20160327_18_55_51_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160327_18_55_51_Pro.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 97

little luke

Reaction score
The box of the cabinet is completely welded. Two triangle pieces were cut for the bottom to funnel all of the used media to the center where a ball valve will be located that will reload the pressure pot, as well as the pick up for the siphon gun.

Attachments

• V__8BF1.JPG
    V__8BF1.JPG
    432.1 KB · Views: 88

little luke

Reaction score
Two small pieces of angle welded to the front and back to hold the floor grate in place. Hoping to pick the material for that up this saturday.

Attachments

• WP_20160412_22_55_40_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160412_22_55_40_Pro.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 86

little luke

Reaction score
Awesome! Whats your plans for lighting? Reclaimer of any kind?

Led lighting in the 6k color range. When the front door is finished I have some magnetic battery lights I am going to position in the cabinet to figure out where I want the lights to prevent glare on the front glass and to ensure that there are no shadows on the work piece.

I'm open to ideas on the following part.

As for replaimer, the current plan is a filter set up on the back to collect dust that then vents out of my shop. This cabinet is going to be air tight so im hoping the cabinet being pressurized will force the dust to the filter. If not ill add a fan post filter The media that falls to the bottom can then be returned to the pressure pot by opening the bottom ball valve or will continue feeding the siphon gun.

little luke

Reaction score
I hit a snag. I was going to use 5" exhaust pipe I had laying around to use for the section the gloves will hold the gloves. It turns out I'm to big and a 6" id pipe will be needed. I planned on using these metal cans and tig welding them in place, but I've decided to run to the blacksmith and see if the have some tubing the right size that's little heavier. If not ill just order some 6" exhaust pipe. I don't want to begin building the font and side doors untill I have these pieces welded, so Ill start on the pressure pot if I can't cone up with anything today.

Attachments

• WP_20160414_08_01_02_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160414_08_01_02_Pro.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 80

little luke

Reaction score
All 4 holes cut. The gloves will be left,left,right, right. I set in the position that felt comfortable with the gloves on and had my wife measure the distance between my arms. It came out to 18" center the center for the two inside gloves.

Attachments

• WP_20160414_08_00_29_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160414_08_00_29_Pro.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 70

powerstroke95

Reaction score
I bought a Skatblast cabinet off a farm sale last fall dirt cheap. I love the cabinet, but the dumbest thing that company did was put the work lamp right in front of the dust collector. The dust surrounds that light and will actually make it difficult to see. I think if you pull the dust out the back like you're saying, you'll be in good shape.

powerstroke95

Reaction score
Also, check out tptools.com. They sell a lot of skatblast parts. They have the gloves and glove rings for sale on there for a somewhat reasonable price. As well as many other parts you may need

little luke

Reaction score
Appreciate it, ill take a look. Most of the lighting will be on the forward part of the cabinet on the top and down by the gloves, so I'm hoping that will be enough.

I seem to never have good luck buying used equipment. It may have been the years of buying used restaurant equipment, freezers, and coolers that have discouraged me, but I'm to the point were I only want new stuff. I'm wanting a mag drill right now. Ive found some deals on some older models but can't pull the trigger out of fear it lasting a month then burning up.

Last edited:

powerstroke95

Reaction score
I seem to never have good luck buying used equipment. It may have been the years of buying used restaurant equipment, freezers, and coolers that have discouraged me, but I'm to the point were I only want new stuff. I'm wanting a mag drill right now. Ive found some deals on some older models but can't pull the trigger out of fear it lasting a month then burning up.

Yeah its definitely a risk. When I bought my cabinet there was a mice nest in the gloves and a dead one inside the compartment. Cleaned it up, ordered new gloves, and the thing runs like a champ. I have less than $200 into it

Skill_Kills

Reaction score
As for replaimer, the current plan is a filter set up on the back to collect dust that then vents out of my shop. This cabinet is going to be air tight so im hoping the cabinet being pressurized will force the dust to the filter. If not ill add a fan post filter The media that falls to the bottom can then be returned to the pressure pot by opening the bottom ball valve or will continue feeding the siphon gun.
We have pressurized distributors at our feedmill that essentially do this. air volume is important. not sure how dusty itll be or how fine the dust is but either push OR pull the air doing both wont give you the positive (or negative) pressure youll need. you could always add another fan blowing into the cabinet if needed. our fans will push over 100lbs at the mill but you shouldnt need that much lol

Still rocking a big vic oxy acetylene torch. Been looking at a hypertherm powermax 45 for over a month, but miller is offering a pretty good rebate on a miller 211 and a 625 extreme. Anyway, end caps cut and welded.
Im planning on selling my current plasma and getting a powermax 45. from what ive seen its the best bang for your buck out there. there is something to be said about a miller though

little luke

Reaction score
Only reason I was considering a miller was the rebate with both machines, but my friend has decided to sell me his miller 211, tank, 50' extension cord, cart, and a few other things for $900. It's 2 years old with maybe an hour of run time. So I'm proboly going to go with the hypertherm 45. The 30 would do proboly do fine, but for the price difference I want the bigger one that will accept a machine torch.

Skill_Kills

Reaction score
Cant go wrong with that plan! Only reason I havent gotten a 45 is that I need my old forcecut to pay for the tig welder I want

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

Latest posts