Is anyone else draining your fuel rail?

chaselee

Reaction score
This has happened to me twice now. Both times getting on the freeway, nail it to merge and get on the freeway. Truck slams like its been rear ended and the pedal goes dead. Truck still running, just dead pedal. Coast to a stop on the shoulder and it dies. Cycle the key and it fires right back up.

The first time it happened it scared the crap out of me. I wasn't sure what had happened. I called Cale at Tyrant and he told me that I had drained my rail. Its never done it from slower speeds to WOT only from about 60 mph to WOT. And both times ive had to coast off of the freeway to the shoulder which isn't very damn safe. Any advice, input, anything....

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
This has happened to me twice now. Both times getting on the freeway, nail it to merge and get on the freeway. Truck slams like its been rear ended and the pedal goes dead. Truck still running, just dead pedal. Coast to a stop on the shoulder and it dies. Cycle the key and it fires right back up.

The first time it happened it scared the crap out of me. I wasn't sure what had happened. I called Cale at Tyrant and he told me that I had drained my rail. Its never done it from slower speeds to WOT only from about 60 mph to WOT. And both times ive had to coast off of the freeway to the shoulder which isn't very damn safe. Any advice, input, anything....

extreme tune ?

Kxc

Reaction score
What code is set when you drain the rail and what sets it off ? A pre set pressure ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

95cobby

Reaction score
There's a post in the tech section with someone else running a Tyrant tune and had the same problem. Donno if he ever figured it out.

chaselee

Reaction score
Im not sure. Ive never ran the performance tune for very long. Could this mean that my pump is starting to go out at only 50K?

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Im not sure. Ive never ran the performance tune for very long. Could this mean that my pump is starting to go out at only 50K?

possibly. but most likely it's a pump that will not maintain peak pulse width . 99/100 trucks will , that's what the extreme tune is built for. then you get the one that just doesn't move the fuel required. it's probably just a weaker pump from the factory . like i said run the performance and see if it happens again, if it happens again , your pump is possibly taking a dump . its a fine line for the highest file and the pump output. the tyrant tune calls for the max available based on what these pumps output is normally .

chaselee

Reaction score
possibly. but most likely it's a pump that will not maintain peak pulse width . 99/100 trucks will , that's what the extreme tune is built for. then you get the one that just doesn't move the fuel required. it's probably just a weaker pump from the factory . like i said run the performance and see if it happens again, if it happens again , your pump is possibly taking a dump . its a fine line for the highest file and the pump output. the tyrant tune calls for the max available based on what these pumps output is normally .

Will do, Thanks

ImAti0n

Reaction score
Is this for early model pumps or ALL pumps? Just wondering have not experienced this yet on mine but I also don't have tyrant tunes.

From what I've read the 11-14 pumps don't put out as much as the 15+ do

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Is this for early model pumps or ALL pumps? Just wondering have not experienced this yet on mine but I also don't have tyrant tunes.

all. its just a tolerance thing. not every pump is equla. some can maintian rail at 1700us some cant maintain at 1600us , which i suspect is happening here, or , his pump is dying .

04cr450

Reaction score
all. its just a tolerance thing. not every pump is equla. some can maintian rail at 1700us some cant maintain at 1600us , which i suspect is happening here, or , his pump is dying .

Bummer to hear I thought the newer pumps were stout enough for hotter tunes. . What rail pressure should we read on a wot run with a hot tune? I'm talking on the edge monitor as an example.

04cr450

Reaction score
So if you have hot tunes and pump can't keep up (which is still good operating wise) then the owner would have to live with a street tune setup and or get dual pumps to effectively run race tunes?
This I not my case just educating myself and other readers**

Kxc

Reaction score
Bummer to hear I thought the newer pumps were stout enough for hotter tunes. . What rail pressure should we read on a wot run with a hot tune? I'm talking on the edge monitor as an example.

I've asked this before and have herd 27.5 to 30 kpsi. On race tunes from different shops i never drop below 27.5 to 28 k, and that's at higher rpm just before a shift. It would be nice for a tuner or vendor to chime in though with some real numbers!

BK39

Reaction score
So if you have hot tunes and pump can't keep up (which is still good operating wise) then the owner would have to live with a street tune setup and or get dual pumps to effectively run race tunes?
This I not my case just educating myself and other readers**

There are some stroker pumps out, or you can get a 15 pump..............etc. You don't have to go dual pumps unless you're looking for big #s.

04cr450

Reaction score
My truck is a 16 so the bigger pump already their. I guess once I go bigger on the turbo and nozzles I'll have to get a stroker it seems. Or may justhave to see how strong the oem pump is hopefully I have a strong one lol

JRLott

Reaction score
I think Mike, Morgan, and the rest in the know would suggest a second pump as the strokers aren't as reliable as factory.

Latest posts

Members online