Aftermarket IDM

Bigmama97

Reaction score
How much of a difference would an aftermarket/upgraded IDM really make on a 97 7.3 with 180/30s... Is it worth the money..... ?

old man dave

Reaction score
The do it your self mod for 140 volts that only costs about $5 in materials is probably worth it.

I had a Swamps HV/HF IDM and it didn't make a difference on a truck with an idle skip, just swapping in a stocker took care of the problem. Go figure.

Reaction score
My experience with the Swamps High Frequency High Voltage IDM is that it just seems to make the engine run better. Nothing specific, but if you have everything else optimized it is a nice upgrade. I kept my proven stock one under the back seat. Now I have an upgrade and a spare!
The Swamps unit is not cheap, but if you read up on everything they have researched on the IDM and the fact they have discovered the performance drops off over time, you are either a believer or not. They do quote some dyno results, not big HP but essentially free hp not in price but in that you don't have to add or give up anything just optimize what you have. 460/1000 on the engine dyno with 160/30's tells me it is an efficient engine. We will see when it is on the road.

Experience does tell me that if your injectors are not in great shape the HV HF IDM will make them worse.....

dmd

Reaction score
With Stock injectors it made a difference on the bottom end. With single shots I dont
think it made any noticeable difference. I am back to stock IDM after the Swamps
one failed and I have no plans on modding another one.

So I would say with your already modded system it would not be worth it.

Latest posts

Members online