10.5 brakes on the 10.25 sterling

co04cobra

Reaction score
www.pirate4x4.com/forum/ford/556582-tech-changing-superduty-unit-bearings-ball-joints.html

good info from 2007 thread on "sd" axles for those that love them.

no idea what the off site linking policy is on this forum, i did search a bit trying to find it, but if it is taboo I apologize and will remove it.

So you managed to find one of the biggest ***n idiots to ever work on a SD axle. :doh:

He can't even get the dust shields on right. I don't want this guy working on ANY axle. Unit bearings or not.

Do I even need to find write ups on the dip****s that torch bearings and spindles b/c the can't get them apart.

We put bjs in a 95 today. OHHH ***N JOY!!! Had to put a puller on the spindles, and get new inner axle seals and repack the ***n bearings. Took 4+hrs. On a SD it would have been 2hrs. and half the cost of parts.

Heres another sign of the stupidity to not use unit bearings.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-NEW-PREMI...:F-450+Super+Duty&hash=item2c6d123e7f&vxp=mtr

So every 50-75K miles at the worst. You can spend $65/side and do it on the side of the road in your sunday best on the way to church.

m j

Reaction score
so the service life being 1/2 what you claim is still ok with you? I wonder how long the NoName ebay stuff you linked will last.
once again I ask...other then the wheel starts to fall off, how do I know when to change out my non serviceable unit bearing?

"We" took 4 hours to do a bj60?
packing bearings is not that hard, and if it bothers you that much buy the tool to do it

Tiha

Super Moderator
Super Mod
Reaction score
Yes old thread.

So since the pictures didn't work. Did this project fail? Or succeed? Can't really tell by reading it. First picture says hub cannot go on. Why? Brake shoe clearance?

I am thinking of putting 10.5 brake flanges on a 10.25 using E350 rotors.

In the end will the 10.5 parts work? Or need to be a van rear end?

Is there a reason this will not work?

Seen it done with All van parts. But not 10.5 parts.

Tiha

Super Moderator
Super Mod
Reaction score
The steel brake line from front to back on the super duty 10.5 is 1/4"

On the OBS with 10.25 it is 3/16"

From what I have been able to find D60 from an E350 is also 1/4"

Does everyone swap out the steel line?

I has to affect pedal feel and performance right?
Has this been discussed?

Latest posts