Need some input

jschildm

Reaction score
This is a "what's it worth" thread, so if this is in the wrong spot I apologize and feel free to move it.

My father in law has a 2001 7.3 with under 80k on it. Pretty decent maintenance but has sat a little too much. Motor seems good, but finds little issues when he uses it. Not sure if it's forged rod or pmr. Interior is great. Truck is totally stock.

The problem ... he just took it to a shop and they told him it was dangerous to drive because it could rust in half.

My question ... What's it worth? I don't really have a great idea, would like an ok deal on it, but don't want to rip him off either.

Thoughts?

dsberman94

Reaction score
Check the frame yourself. If it actually could rust in half it’s worth part out value, couple grand. If they were talking out their azz it could be decent but you didn’t include anything about the truck except the year and mileage.

sootie

Reaction score
Frame rot isn't super common on those. Post some pics

ncollins64

Reaction score
I’d crawl under it and look for myself. I’ve seen a lot of rusted trucks but none I would consider dangerous. Maybe their hoping for a cheap buy if he chose to sell to them? You can also pull a block plug to verify forged or pmr motor.

jschildm

Reaction score
Sorry, not much detail. Crew cab short bed, automatic, 4x4, 3.73 gears. I totally agree on the rust. It is REALLY rusty, but mainly on the small stuff. Id be surprised if the frame is that bad. I can't take a look myself now, it's a couple states away.

fastersteve

Reaction score
Have him take it to different shop, and tell them he wants a buyer's check. They will give him a more realistic report of the condition.

jschildm

Reaction score
He trusts this guy and honestly doesn't care that much. He had had enough issues with it he doesn't trust it and is ready for something newer.

Let's say frame is pretty well shot, what's it worth. I was thinking a couple grand. I saw someone mention that above. Is that about right?

Latest posts

Members online