KC 38R: Finally a BA drop-in turbo option for E99 7.3’s

euroford

Reaction score
What is this BOV you speak of? A 7.3 never had a BOV....

I have a Turbosmart Race Port blow of valve and electronic controller. If you look at my engine back shot earlier in the thread you can see it behind my alternator. its welded into the IC piping.

http://www.turbosmartdirect.com/Pro...er-kit-controller-custom-Raceport-BLACK.html#

I know that this is not a popular mod on diesels in general, nor the 7.3 in particular, but it should be far more popular than it is. In a performance turbocharged gas application everybody would always run one, and though a diesel does not have a throttle body for the air pressure to rebound off of the effect is still very similar when you let off the throttle. When you let off the throttle and the engines air demand drops and the exhaust pressure is removed from the turbine side the air rebounds back through the compressor side of the charger in the same way, although perhaps not as hard as a gasser, we tend to run a lot more boost pressure.

Since the Turbosmart unit uses an electronic controller, you can easily turn it on and off, the effect is readily noticeable and makes a substantial difference in turbo response between shifts on my ZF6 truck. Though the KC turbo is VERY responsive, it does noticeably have to re-spool every time i shift the truck. In the past with the BOV running, you don't hear the "swoosh" noise out of the intake and exhaust when you let off the throttle, instead just the quick "sprrt" from the BOV and your boost is back the instant your back on the throttle.

even normal driving in traffic, as i pull away from a red light and only make about 10-12 psi, with every shift boost will come back in much much quicker. If i'm heading up a steep on ramp and accelerating hard, or making a race pass, especially if i'm full in it in 3rd and making over 30psi and snap the quick shift to 4th the boost gauge makes a quick snap from 30+ to 0 and instantly back to 30+.

its really pretty awesome and I highly recommend it for those of us with three pedals. its unfortunate that we require the electronic controller and that drives the price way up. if these were more affordable i'm sure they would be more popular. Since Turbosmart is an Australian company, the easiest way to purchase is through Amazon, currently listed for about $427 bucks.

I've had mine for about 5 years, and its been a high quality rock solid piece of equipment. Its my fault that the solenoid failed, the way i had the wire running put some vibration right where the wire enters the solenoid, when i tried to take it apart small parts and springs shot everywhere. total DOH! moment. I'll revise and reinforce the wiring, and if i ever have reason to take one of those apart again I'll do so on the bench with significant caution.

my new solenoid arrives today, so I'll likely install it tomorrow as UPS tends to arrive late. I'm actually really excited, since i'm very used to having it running, the truck actually feels kind of sluggish to me without it.

I wish i had a go-pro or something i could suction cup to the window and show you guys the gauges on a pull. but i don't :shrug:

Latest posts

Members online