Hpop total destruction!

Cab stayed on

Reaction score
Long story short the hpop ate itself and put metal shavings through everything... My brand new injectors, oil cooler, rails ect. It punched holes through the ipr screen. And there were quite a few big chunks I found during the tear down. My question is does anyone know the procedure to getting all the metal out of the motor. I'm not putting brand new stuff back in with the metal lingering around waiting to wreck some more stuff. Everything was ford factory so the warrantied all of it and are paying me the labor to do it, just don't wanna be down this road again in a week when the rogue metal decideds its taking out everything again.

Cab stayed on

Reaction score
Nope there's metal through everything. The oil pan was full, the turbo, lpop. Ford had me tear apart the hpop to email pictures and it absolutely grenaded on the inside. I have pictures just unsure how to upload them on here.

Cab stayed on

Reaction score
How can I upload pics from my iPhone?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    814.8 KB · Views: 224

webb06

Reaction score
Seems like it would be cheaper for them to send you a complete engine to drop in. Also how are you getting them to pay your labor? I had to replace a block in mine that was straight from ford and they wouldn't cover my labor.

Cab stayed on

Reaction score
There paying for the labor because we're actually a diesel performance garage and we installed the parts. My labor rate is 75$ an hour but fords is 110$ an hour so they are actually paying me 110$ an hour. And that's what I said about getting them to just send me a running complete.. But they want me to pull the motor and disassemble the whole entire motor down to the bare block and take pictures and document the findings.. Because they are unsure the hpop was the failure. Which unless your blind you can see it was the hpop. So there sending a rep out tomorrow to look at the hpop because I really don't have all the time to waste and keep a bay tied up.

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
So you work in a diesel repair/ performance facility and do not know how to deal with a case like this having metal contamination? Obviously if its that bad you disassemble the entire engine and have everything hot tanked.

Cab stayed on

Reaction score
So you work in a diesel repair/ performance facility and do not know how to deal with a case like this having metal contamination? Obviously if its that bad you disassemble the entire engine and have everything hot tanked.

I did know that much so thank you for the input. I wanted to know if there was any other way to avoid it. No mechanic will ever know everything... There's a lot of guys on this forum that know much more then me and wanted some input. So I appreciate your answer and the attitude you supplied with it. Next time just the answer would be greatly appreciated.

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I did know that much so thank you for the input. I wanted to know if there was any other way to avoid it. No mechanic will ever know everything... There's a lot of guys on this forum that know much more then me and wanted some input. So I appreciate your answer and the attitude you supplied with it. Next time just the answer would be greatly appreciated.

There was absolutely no attitude in my answer or question.

Cab stayed on

Reaction score
There was absolutely no attitude in my answer or question.

the way it's worded it sounds like your basically bashing me and trying to make me sound stupid. I'm sorry if that's not how you intended it to come across. I knew of that but I was trying to seek out other options, it's my sister in laws truck and she's stuck without it..

G Racing

Reaction score
Unfortunately the only way to be sure that it's clean is to tear it all down and hot tank it and rebuild it. Best bet would be to get ford to give you a new engine. Good luck.

Cab stayed on

Reaction score
Definitely. Well the ford rep will be at the shop tomorrow morning to check out the hpop mess and see if we can fast track this and just get a new motor instead of wasting days of time for something we already know. I'll post some updates on what he says. Thanks everyone it's much appreciated

248superduty

Reaction score
Well that sucks. Never seen one fail like that before. And this is the closest I would like to come to seeing one in person.