Go Back   PowerStrokeArmy > Power Strokes > 6.7 Tech

Old 11-16-2017, 07:40 PM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

Default Gear change

What's the typical cost for changing the front and rear differential? A local diesel company quoted me like $1,200 for parts and $1,200 for labor. Does that sound right and how hard is it?
Old 11-16-2017, 07:51 PM
General
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7 Powerstroker View Post
What's the typical cost for changing the front and rear differential? A local diesel company quoted me like $1,200 for parts and $1,200 for labor. Does that sound right and how hard is it?
That sounds right. Not hard to do the work with the right tools and you understand lash and preload.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:56 PM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

What's the size of the socket needed for the rear pinion nut?
Old 11-18-2017, 10:04 PM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

So I looked up some info on picking the correct new gear ration and it looks like I should take my new tire size and times it by my my current gear ratio then divide it by my original tire size which will give me the new gear ratio I should aim for.
(35" x 3.73) / 32" = 4.08
So if I go with 4.11 gears is it noticeable or should I go with 4.30 gears? I want to help it get off the line faster but not lose too much on the mpgs on the interstate. Anyone go wih 4.30 gears from 3.73's and have any advice?
Old 11-19-2017, 12:16 AM
Private
Member's Gallery

I'd leave the 3.73 gears and use the torque from the engine. Not a gas job where u need RPM.
Old 11-19-2017, 08:01 AM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

One of the issues I'm having with the streetmax x is while in 6th it sometimes it starts to surge and I have to downshift or just completely lock it out of 6th unless I'm doing 70+. I'm running gear head sotf tuning I got from Powerstroke eng. I asked for revisions like 10 times and they used to say they'd get them. Now I just get no reply at all. I figured I'd change the gearing to get the rpms back up so it didn't feel like it was lugging in 6th at 55-60.
Old 11-19-2017, 08:24 AM
Lieutenant
Member's Gallery

With the cost of the ford gearsets yes that parts price is pretty decent. Labor is a little high. Not by much though. Do they include the 500 mile drain fill and inspection in that price. We do 450 an axle for labor, fluids, and cleaning supplies. That also includes the 500 mile drain and fill. That price changes if it a a removable 3rd or 14 bolt. We charge 30 dollars more for synthetic fluid per axle. And there is a sunk axle fee. If you go mud riding and sink you rig and bring it us too fix we charge 100 bucks to power wash the vehicle and power wash the axle out when we pull it apart.

Is your truck a DRW?

I have 3.31 gears in mine and I have zero issues towing on stock tires. I do not have the streetmax though. I do run GH tuning also.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Old 11-19-2017, 01:26 PM
Lieutenant
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8WR_ZJ View Post
With the cost of the ford gearsets yes that parts price is pretty decent. Labor is a little high. Not by much though. Do they include the 500 mile drain fill and inspection in that price. We do 450 an axle for labor, fluids, and cleaning supplies. That also includes the 500 mile drain and fill. That price changes if it a a removable 3rd or 14 bolt. We charge 30 dollars more for synthetic fluid per axle. And there is a sunk axle fee. If you go mud riding and sink you rig and bring it us too fix we charge 100 bucks to power wash the vehicle and power wash the axle out when we pull it apart.

Is your truck a DRW?

I have 3.31 gears in mine and I have zero issues towing on stock tires. I do not have the streetmax though. I do run GH tuning also.

where you located? lol
2015 F250 platinum, flopro 5", jones turbine 5050xl, polished No Limit stage 2/pg 7 and prefilter intake, h&s intercooler pipe(throttlebody-gone) and half ccv reroute, jenny craig, sotf gear hedd tune, Rigid DOT fogs, Chinese 40" radius led, amp steps, weathertechs, edge cts2, titan tank, dieselsite fuel filter, blue ox gooseneck, Hellwig bars, retrofit projectors, linex plat, retrax cover,full Carli 2.5" backcountry,fox 2.0 res shocks, toyo rt 37", OUO ala & bars
Old 11-19-2017, 02:41 PM
Lieutenant
Member's Gallery

Not a vendor I don't want to cross a line. I live in Louisiana.

Old 11-19-2017, 05:51 PM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

It's a SRW and they didn't mention the 500 mile drain and fill.
They seem to be honest but I've only used him a couple times. First time was to do my ****** and the second was to program my injectors.
When I was there for the injectors they tried to tell me my truck had a weird idle and said it could be from the rocker arms rotating some over time and causing wear on the cam and one way to tell was to cut my oil filter open and check for metal. He did but found no metal at all so he said the truck must idle like that normally. Said he'd had another 6.7 a couple weeks earlier and had a similar idle and did have metal in the filter. He recommended they get ready for a new short block. Not sure about all that but my filter was clean.
I may just get new sotf tunes from Tyrantt. Anyone try theirs with the streetmax x? This turbo surge happens almost every time I drive. It gets bogged down and starts to flutter and shake a little until I let off or downshift. It did get a little better since I installed my new 2015 injectors 2 weeks ago.