Budget ******?!?!

Dan The Diesel Man

Reaction score
My emissions system is failing and I called a local shop. The guy told me that he offers a package called the contractors package. The package consists of a PCM flash to remove emissions codes, straight pipe in place or the def tank and egr unplug. He said I do NOT need a tuner, for when he flashes the pcm it will remove all the emissions codes. He wants $1,100. Has anyone done this or heard of doing this? Please help, my truck is on the verge of not running anymore!!!!

doo dah

Reaction score
Sounds expensive for just a flash and pipe. You could get a tuner with full exhaust for close to that price and have the ability to change tunes, clear DTC, trans temp, EGT, etc...check out No Limit Fab.

95cobby

Reaction score
I mean if that price includes installation then it’s not bad.. but personally I wouldn’t want the pcm flashed like that. Much better off with a handheld tuner to where you can load tunes yourself or even return back to stock. Like already mentioned, call up No Limit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

two0seven

Reaction score
I considered what I did a budget ****** I had my sct x4 from my last truck which I bought on eBay used and unlocked for $275, Made an offer on an EGR kit and exhaust pipe on eBay from Rudy's Diesel, I think I paid around $300 for both. I got my tune by Tyrant through Alligator Performance for $250. Then I did all the work myself.

PDT1081

Reaction score
I considered what I did a budget ****** I had my sct x4 from my last truck which I bought on eBay used and unlocked for $275, Made an offer on an EGR kit and exhaust pipe on eBay from Rudy's Diesel, I think I paid around $300 for both. I got my tune by Tyrant through Alligator Performance for $250. Then I did all the work myself.
$825 your way. That means the mechanic? in the OP is only charging $275 to install. Depending on the tune and EGR fix, I'd seriously consider paying that. If he's simply unplugging the EGR, no way.

Dan The Diesel Man

Reaction score
Thank you guys for all your help. I'm gonna go with a tuner and straight pipe. He is doing all the work, I have a ****ty work schedule and 2 kids under 2 years old so I have no time. Any suggestions for a cheaper tuner?

doo dah

Reaction score
Thank you guys for all your help. I'm gonna go with a tuner and straight pipe. He is doing all the work, I have a ****ty work schedule and 2 kids under 2 years old so I have no time. Any suggestions for a cheaper tuner?

Sounds like you are busy so scouring the classifieds, ebay, craigslist, etc...may not work for you but you will find the cheapest tuner that way. Retail you'll get your best deal with No Limit most likely but all d*****d tuners are expensive and will cost a grand with custom tunes. You could go with box tunes and save ~$300. If you are not going to push the truck hard and really just want the emissions fix then finding a mini maxx or SCT used on Ebay etc and pay the reflash cost will be the cheapest.

cappa

Reaction score
I don't care how much it saved, I would not run cheap, budget tunes from some small shop unless they were connected to a big name tuning company and had all star reviews. Tuning is the single most important part when ******** these trucks.

Dan The Diesel Man

Reaction score
A local guy who is recommended by everyone and said to be a powerstroke genius is getting me a tuner with custom tunes and the race pipe for $1,500

Sterling6.7

Reaction score
Go tried and true. A bad tune can destroy a trans or turbo or both really quick. Call Mike at No Limit. Not worth going cheap when the repairs are thousands and you will end up buying the right parts the second time around.

cappa

Reaction score
Exactly, I would find out who's tuning he is using. I've heard lots of horror stories about local "experts" tuning these things.

Dan The Diesel Man

Reaction score
He makes his own tunes, I know you guys are saying stay away from this but he has hundreds of reviews and all 5 stars. My friends with diesels all said to go to him. I'm not getting any crazy tunes so I think ill be ok. Thanks again fellas

Jomax

Reaction score
Doesn’t seem our input helped? Lol good luck. Hopefully it runs good.

Strokersace

Reaction score
Doesn’t seem our input helped? Lol good luck. Hopefully it runs good.

No joke!

The ol “what should I do? Well so and so local said it was ok, so thanks. But I’m going to do it anyway, regardless of what advice I asked for. My mind was already made up!”

Zeb

Reaction score
I’ve always gotta roll my eyes and shake my head when a guy with a $30,000+ truck tries to save a couple hundred bucks on a ******, tune, and exhaust. Why not go with the proven, and make it professional looking with a new exhaust etc?!?!
Same thing on cheap filters, extended drain intervals, etc.
Anyway, to each his own.
Rant over.

Dan The Diesel Man

Reaction score
I bought the truck before I had 2 kids and had the money to play with. I understand where you're coming from tho. Trust me I'd love to get it done the right way.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.