Need some advice

Embarger

Reaction score
So I'll start by saying ive searched and read about everything I could on the subject and since everyone has their own opinion ive just been chasing my tail. So I have a 96 crew cab,5 speed, 180,000 miles, I bought from a neighboring ranch for 1500 bucks. It was rough to say the least but being I'm a cowboy by trade and not a mechanic I have enjoyed working on it the last year as beer drinking project, trying to get it back to road worthy and "reliable". So i plan on taking this old bitch down the road this spring and summer to brandings and rodeos pulling a 20 trailer because why not. The worst mistake i made was putting in gauges I'm now noticing my boost is coming on high in the rpms and the egts are not fantastic. So the truck is stock except an intake and its had the cat and all that cut out. So with stock injectors would a 1.0 turbo housing and the all mighty 3 inch down pipe make that big of a difference in egts and boost coming on lower in the rpms? I'm just looking for some first hand experience or positive reinforcment before I dive down this rabbit hole. Also I'm fully aware intercoolers are our friend but id rather not get one I never plan on getting bigger injectors,turbo and so on. I'm not chasing hp or trying to pull hills at 80 or id use my 6.7, I'm simply looking for reliability.
553ea5948381e73fc2550a397cfd4285.jpg

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Magnum PD

Reaction score
What kind of air filter? The tighter housing will help the spool up. Make sure you don’t have up pipe leaks.

Zeb

Reaction score
Napa 6637 air filter, 1.0 exhaust housing, a set of bellowed up pipes, (I like the ones built by Swag Performance), and a 3” down pipe.
Less than $500 in parts, and they simply work.

ghohouston

Reaction score
The 1.0 housing will not help e.g.t.'s. Don't think it will really "hurt" but it definitely won't help. Spool would be quicker on the low end, but you lose a bit up top.

JCart

Reaction score
Sounds like the up pipes are leaking. Get a bright flash lite and get under it, look at where the exhaust manifolds meet the block. Look for soot, black carbon especially at rear of block, not uncommon for the e manifold bolt heads to pop off near the rear of the block usually drivers side. Inspect where up pipes meet e manifold underside too. Then look at collector on top at rear of block in behind the turbo, where up pipes meet, very common for these to leak.

1.0 exhaust housing is a great mod, with stock injectors you will not loose anything noticeable on the top end. If you get a 1.0 housing, I’d rebuild the turbo with KC Turbos custom exhaust wheel, 360 bearing kit and a billet intake wheel. I gut the EBPV and assembly off all my trucks. Also You can buy New none EBPV turbo pedestal or you can remove the EBPV assembly off it yourself.

Things that will be going on it (in the next while) cam position sensor (get a Ford spare and put in the glove), vacuum pump, mechanical fuel pump, fan belt idler bearings, water pump. If you’re keeping it I’d do a DIY electric fuel system and toss the keerapy stock fuel pump and stock filter assembly. Replace with SD electric pump and Donaldson and Cat spin on filters.

As you’ll be handy, the above stuff can be done by you, thing is for towing.... it will not pull like the 6.7, not even close, braking again not even close.... for a reliable ranch rig, if you keep up on clean fuel and air (K&N will dust ya), Donaldson filter is what I use and watch for the above bits to replace it’ll be a great rig. When the up pipes start leaking lemme know, I’ve repaired mine with great results.
Cheers,
j

Last edited:

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Everything above is spot on to check. But don't be surprised when egt's go above 1300° even bone stock. Stock tuning is not the greatest. You would be surprised how bad thing can get while towing with a bone stock obs.

Only thing a smallet housing is going to do is help with spoolup. It will probably run hotter egts being there is no wastegate.

Id definitely inspect everything real good and fix any sort of leaks first before you go changing anything at all!

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

Embarger

Reaction score
All good advice. I have the 6637 filter kit from riff raff. I'll give my up pipes a good inspection.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online