205/30 T4 s369 vs s364.5

Bmcgarvie

Reaction score
That would be awesome! I think it's awesome to compare the sheets. It's especially nice since it's the same dyno with the same operators. That takes a couple variables out of the equation. I especially like the tow tune dyno sheet you just posted. That's great for guys like me that don't necessarily want to make 500 hp but just want their "antiquated" truck to make similar power to the newer stock trucks.

6 Piston Power

Reaction score
Enjoy seeing the dyno graphs. I’m still researching for my build and have also seen air flow graphs for turbos. Would be curious if you had a way to put them side by side with a dyno graph?
Or is there an easy way to explain the air flow graphs to someone who hasn’t read one before?

KCTurbos

Reaction score
If you start adding too many graphs together on the same sheet it becomes a mess and hard to read. I like comparing 2 maybe 3 at the same time.

Here is an example why... this is one truck in the past year with all the different setups we have tested. Gets a little confusing when you overlay so many graphs at once.

BCp3Dxsh.jpg

KCTurbos

Reaction score
Most of the turbos we are testing have the "air flow" maps.. AKA compressor maps. But that does not tell the whole story. We have found the best thing to do is slap it on a truck and run them back to back to see what really works best.

PSD POWER007

Reaction score
Am I remembering right that the back to back testing of the BASB vs 364.5 showed a 50hp and 120tq gain with the 364.5 and no tuning adjustments?

JCart

Reaction score
Thanks for posting up and sharing info KC Turbos. Earlier this last fall I installed FFD 205/30s, running Jelibuilt files and I rebuild my stock turbo on my Tan sig truck. Truck has 120-130k miles on it turbo was in great shape was installing a 1.0 A/R and thought I’d add your parts just cause. In rebuilding the stocker I used KC Turbos 300sxe exhaust wheel/shaft, 360 bearing rebuild kit and a billet 6x6 wheel I had on the shelf from Clay at RiffRaff plus installed a 1.0 A/R housing on it. Definitely perked the old truck up. Not sure what the life expectancy of my stock rebuild should be, in addition I reshaped my up pipes and exhaust wrapped them which has worked well. Have supporting mods like DIY E fuel, with high flow banjo bolts in end of heads, exhaust etc. Interested what advantages I would achieve by installing a 364.5.? Typically I use this truck as a Daily and tow once in a while (5th wheel TT @ 7500 lbs). In closing, I have gauges to go on it and a retrofit 7.3 aluminum tank IC on the shelf that’s about to be installed once it warms up a bit.

Again thanks for sharing your data.
Cheers,
j

Last edited:

freddie

Reaction score
BASB vs s364.5/73/.91
205/30

mwhazy5h.jpg
What changed vs this graph? BASB looks better in this graph than the other comparison.
http://www.powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1534497&postcount=175

No way... we tested the basb vs the s364.5 and the s364.5 did better in every way. I would not expect anything better out of the basb no matter what housing it had.

With that said egts are very manageable with the 238/80s and s364.5. It just runs hotter than the 205/30s. Both still tow well IMO. The 238/80s have way more power and can push past the 1300egts if you are not careful.

With the 205/30 it was hard to even get to a point where you would struggle with egts... I honestly think the tow tunes needed to be turned up just a little bit but we never got around to that. You could hold the pedal all the way to the floor in the tow tune and go up any hill and never have to worry about egts... but sometimes would not have the power you wanted.

With the 238/80s you have to be careful with the pedal because there is more power than you can use, and will spike egts and smoke if you get on it too hard. But on the same level of tow tune they have way more power than the 205/30s.

Hope that makes sense.

Here is a dyno graph comparing the BASB vs 364.5/73/.91 . Both with 205/30. You can see the s364.5 comes on sooner, makes more peak tq, makes a TON more hp, and has more power under the curve in every area. I can also tell you that towing/daily driving results were the same as the dyno. Towed cooler, cooler at WOT, more power, less smoke etc...

I think the BASB was good back in its day before the new SXE turbos came out... but it is now outdated.

NdxldYWh.jpg

PSD POWER007

Reaction score
Well, I took the 364.5 plunge. Put it on yesterday and will give it a full workout towing this week. If this thing really is better than the BASB I will be completely amazed. The BASB has been an absolutely amazing turbo for a daily drive/tow vehicle. Waiting for amazon to drop off my 2.5-3” turbo boot now. Once it goes on it will be time to run it around town for a “break in period” if you will and the trailer goes behind it in the morning. I have always towed with my GH All Out tune and its never been an issue EGT wise no matter how heavy I towed. So big shoes to fill no doubt!

ja_cain

Reaction score
Well, I took the 364.5 plunge. Put it on yesterday and will give it a full workout towing this week. If this thing really is better than the BASB I will be completely amazed. The BASB has been an absolutely amazing turbo for a daily drive/tow vehicle. Waiting for amazon to drop off my 2.5-3” turbo boot now. Once it goes on it will be time to run it around town for a “break in period” if you will and the trailer goes behind it in the morning. I have always towed with my GH All Out tune and its never been an issue EGT wise no matter how heavy I towed. So big shoes to fill no doubt!
Good stuff! Can't wait to hear what you think. It's been a while since I've seen your setup. What injectors and is it a PMR motor?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

PSD POWER007

Reaction score
Good stuff! Can't wait to hear what you think. It's been a while since I've seen your setup. What injectors and is it a PMR motor?

I’m running FF 180/80’s and my motor has forged rods. My initial impressions is....WOW. Spools slightly faster and definitely pulls harder. Cruising at 70mph on the interstate and 30lbs of boost can be made instantly. My peak boost with the BASB was about 37psi and with the 364.5 it is 43psi. I still have a 1:1 boost/EBP ratio. I did a wot pull on the interstate, made 43psi and EGT’s never broke 1150*. All of this is without the trailer. I’ll be pulling my 11k lb trailer on a 3 hour trip in the morning. I did not believe this turbo could be better all the way across the board, but it is so far. Spools slightly faster, makes more boost across the board, and slightly lower egts. I have no doubts it will tow like a beast. Whistle is about the same, maybe slightly less on the 364.5.
Fitment was perfect on the Irate T4 kit.

ja_cain

Reaction score
I’m running FF 180/80’s and my motor has forged rods. My initial impressions is....WOW. Spools slightly faster and definitely pulls harder. Cruising at 70mph on the interstate and 30lbs of boost can be made instantly. My peak boost with the BASB was about 37psi and with the 364.5 it is 43psi. I still have a 1:1 boost/EBP ratio. I did a wot pull on the interstate, made 43psi and EGT’s never broke 1150*. All of this is without the trailer. I’ll be pulling my 11k lb trailer on a 3 hour trip in the morning. I did not believe this turbo could be better all the way across the board, but it is so far. Spools slightly faster, makes more boost across the board, and slightly lower egts. I have no doubts it will tow like a beast. Whistle is about the same, maybe slightly less on the 364.5.

Fitment was perfect on the Irate T4 kit.
That's awesome!

PSD POWER007

Reaction score
I’m not saying it’s night and day difference because the BASB is an awesome turbo, but the 364.5 is a noticeable difference. If it passes the towing test this week like I think it will, it will be money well spent IMO.

PSD POWER007

Reaction score
Ok, I am officially a nutswinger! The 364.5 passed the towing test going away. It gets the load going easier, power is there any time that I need it. And the kicker is, only once in my entire 3 hour trip did my egts even get over 1100* and it was barely over then. It was about a 5% grade about 2 miles long running 75 mph and it hovered right around 1100.
On standard Ga/Alabama interstate hills and flats I could cruise between 75-80mph at 850-900*. Going up hills it would run up close to 1000* every now and then. You couldn’t convince me no way no how this thing would tow so much easier and cooler than what my BASB always did. But I’m a true believer now! What a turbo!!
Keep in mind, this is towing 11k lbs running the GH All Out tune.
My set up is a Forged block, with head studs. FF 180/80’s, adrenaline, strictly diesel RR, stock fuel pump and fuel bowl, Sam Wyse stage 2 transmission, 3.73’s running 20x10’s with 33x12.50’s.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.