dry sump HPOP

thatdude

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Anyone ever try and run a dry sump set up on a HPOP engine? I know it's pretty common on the p-pump trucks. Idea I was throwing around on this current engine build.

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
I have thought about it quite a bit.

I believe it could be done, but you will need the right pump setup and the right amount of storage capacity.

My idea was to actually run 2 oil systems. One for the turbos and one for the engine/hpop system.

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
Are you talking about to split the Hpo system from the engine system?

I also thought about that and don't think it would be that hard. Just have to machine a manifold to fit to the oil spill ports on the injector.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Not a new idea. Very doable - the problem you will find is that you need to add an oil pump to the stack that just feeds your HPOP - and the oil flow requirements are quite high if you are in the area that actually benefits from the money being spent on a dry sump setup. I have some notes somewhere from when I was looking into doing it.... also I would hook a scavenge pump section and hook them up to each head near the normal drain port. Under WOT you'll find there is quite a bit of oil in there. lol

thatdude

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I've looked at a few performance pumps with dual function scavenge and pressure pumps in one contained unit. I'm thinking of running 2 pumps. One for the engine/hpop and another for the 2 turbos both pumps going to the same sump obviously. I THINK it should work. There was another pump a saw that had so many pressure ports and scavenge ports that i could possibly feed everything but I'm unsure if it's going to supply enough volume. I'll need some more specs.

I was throwing the idea at Ron over at hypermax the other day (ordering some stuff from them boys) and he thinks its quite doable but mounting/space may be an issue as I'm trying to keep the A/C compressor and throw in the fact that I'm going compound turbo that further takes complicates the space issue even with my batteries being frame mounted.

Also with less oil being thrown around by the crank, am I going to run into an oiling issue? Alot of the ppump guys haven't seen anything like the big block chevy and ford guys usually note.

The big push for this is to obviously lower the engine and bring down my CG. Truck is already 2 inches below stock and I'd like to get that CG even lower.

Last edited:

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
Why not split the 2 into 2 separate systems? Just need 2 oil tanks if your going to run 2 pumps. That way if one fails and contaminates the oil you don't wipe everything out.

m j

Reaction score
i was thinking you were trying to run a dedicated hpo system, but all you want is to remove the sump, wouldnt be any different then any other motor.

shmoozer

Reaction score
I want to say that Matt Kubik is running a dry sump setup in his Mustang

*edit* nevermind. That thing is p pumped so I doubt it would be of any use for you wanting to do it to an HPO system

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PSDEng

Reaction score
I think wanting to run two tanks and pumps is way overkill and not necessary. On my dry sump system I have 7 stages with the turbo feed and drain on its own pressure/scavenge stage. It all runs into the same tank, but if I were to trash a turbo anything big enough to cause real bad damage would be caught in the tank screens or in the lines to the tank. This is me assuming I'll have the motor shut down pretty quickly after a turbo failure.

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
I think wanting to run two tanks and pumps is way overkill and not necessary. On my dry sump system I have 7 stages with the turbo feed and drain on its own pressure/scavenge stage. It all runs into the same tank, but if I were to trash a turbo anything big enough to cause real bad damage would be caught in the tank screens or in the lines to the tank. This is me assuming I'll have the motor shut down pretty quickly after a turbo failure.

One pump and tank would work I believe in that setup. Your running a P-pump though aren't you?

Only reason I was thinking 2 pumps was I wasn't sure if you could run more than one feed stage on a stack.

So I would think 2 feed stages and 5 suctions would work well. Although it might not hurt to have a 3rd feed that went directly to the HPOP reservoir when running a Gen3 and 400+cc injectors.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
One of the reason why I got a high volume low pressure oil pump from diesel site. Also have a second feed line to the Rez.

superpsd

Reaction score
I this 7.3 going to be a competition only engine or also ran on the street. From what I had read I would not really want to deal with a dry sump on a streetable rig. If your just trying to get the engine lower i wonder if it can be done with a custom shallower/wider oil pan.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
For me it would a reliability issue. That pump HAS to be pumping. Either belt or electric that's powering it

KBMKVIII

Reaction score
With a dedicated hpo system, you actually would have to change your hpop oil lol!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PSDEng

Reaction score
One pump and tank would work I believe in that setup. Your running a P-pump though aren't you?

Only reason I was thinking 2 pumps was I wasn't sure if you could run more than one feed stage on a stack.

So I would think 2 feed stages and 5 suctions would work well. Although it might not hurt to have a 3rd feed that went directly to the HPOP reservoir when running a Gen3 and 400+cc injectors.

Yep I'm running a p-pump. You can set up a pump to run whatever stages you want, as long as your tank is set up for it.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
I've looked at a few performance pumps with dual function scavenge and pressure pumps in one contained unit. I'm thinking of running 2 pumps. One for the engine/hpop and another for the 2 turbos both pumps going to the same sump obviously. I THINK it should work. There was another pump a saw that had so many pressure ports and scavenge ports that i could possibly feed everything but I'm unsure if it's going to supply enough volume. I'll need some more specs.

I would dedicate an entire section to feed the HPOP. When at full tilt with a hot set of sticks you are going to need a lot of flow. Just shooting from the hip here at the moment - when I was doing the math I figured I needed about 12GPM for a hot setup just for the HPO system at 3K RPMs at the minimum.

Of course that assumes you are trying to build a full tilt 7.3 and need every ounce of everything thrown at it.

Latest posts

Members online