are O-rings mandatory for me?

da94broncodude

Reaction score
Well it has come the time that i need to do my gaskets again, i say again as they were done the first time under warranty, no surfacing etc you know how ford warranty is. Now several years later im here again, now mind you im not upset i knew it was a matter of time when you mod them. Now though i have a far from stock setup but want to be able to still use the truck.

Currently i have MTW stage 3 turbo, 175/75s from warren, fass 150, and all the normal upgrades intake, exh, egr delete etc.

Right now the gaskets are fine IF i keep it under 30psi, when i first posted up about this turbo it seemed like my boost numbers were lower than others, an intercooler boot and metal intercooler solved that issue.

Heres the second kicker, i use the truck, i tow a 34ft toy hauler 5th wheel EST weight 15-16k or so.

Right now truck tows trailer great and as long as im not under the charger lugging it my egts are fine, its got good power and seems to do fine, to be honest i havent even had it surge at all, i was considering going compounds at some point, but want to see what this setup is really capable of, however as i said anything over 30psi pushes coolant, it wants every bit of 40-45psi no problem so im curious with head gaskets that will hold, what it will do.

So the million dollar question, if im going to do this and not want to do it again in a year, do i need to o-ring the head? truck isnt a daily driver but its drove quite a bit and does tow quite a bit, and once gaskets were fixed if i didnt like the turbo i will probably go compounds.

Or am i high in the night, and owning a 550-600hp 6.0 that can tow isnt realistic and i should fix the gaskets, and ditch the 68 and 175s and go with stock injectors and a powermax?

Merc82

Reaction score
I would, when I did mine it was only a couple hundred dollars more option... at that point, spending a few hundred more dollars seemed like nothing compared to how deep I already was.

powerstrokedkid87

Reaction score
required, id say no, extra insurance without a doubt. if the funds are available id go ahead with the orings on the heads, it will only help.

we ran the red truck with a single 66 turbo and never had a head gasket issue with standard arps FWIW

zshier17

Reaction score
Just purchased my heads, and i decided to get them O-ringed. for $300 extra, like Merc said, it's kind of minimal considering the cost of heads/injectors/turbo etc...

I also did heavy valve springs too. I'll only be running a s362, but a 64.5 is in the future, and maybe the new s369 later on if it turns out to be a bada** turbo. So definitely future insurance for me on the springs and O-rings. I DO NOT wanna take my heads off again lol. Do it right, Do it once.

borsky

Reaction score
orings are good for a DD, its fire rings u don't want. I've got 30k on mine so far zero issues. they see -40 in th winter and 90F in the summer

borsky

Reaction score
where does this article say that fire rings are recommended for DD's? It is generally known that fire rings don't hold up to heat cycles as well as orings with conventional gaskets. The hypermax gaskets that you are running are one offs that aren't the ones described in this article. And correct me if I'm wrong are discontinued. So nine years on your truck... how many miles on that show truck in 9 years?

Last edited:

strokin6L

Reaction score
The hypermax kit is not discontinued..... They still sell it and are not one offs. Under the fire ringing section of that link...."the groove is generally machined in the head in most street uses". Most street uses to me means as a dd...right? The description given to fire ringing from that link is exactly what my hypermax fire rings are and how they are installed right to the description.

Last edited:

borsky

Reaction score
ok so what are u running? these? http://www.gohypermax.com/ProductDisplay.aspx?id=c7e1d1fc-08cf-4518-a99e-d8ff58e572aa

because I can't find the fire rings on there site...

And you never answered my question how many miles in 9 years?

How many street trucks run over 700 hp and 70psi? Do you need a ring that holds 100psi for street use?

So you think that a a solid ring of Mild steel is going to hold up better to heat cycles then a MLS gasket?

strokin6L

Reaction score
ok so what are u running? these? http://www.gohypermax.com/ProductDisplay.aspx?id=c7e1d1fc-08cf-4518-a99e-d8ff58e572aa

because I can't find the fire rings on there site...

And you never answered my question how many miles in 9 years?

How many street trucks run over 700 hp and 70psi? Do you need a ring that holds 100psi for street use?

So you think that a a solid ring of Mild steel is going to hold up better to heat cycles then a MLS gasket?

The kit that requires machining isn't on the site. 35-40k miles in 9 years. First two years after install it was daily driven. Since 2008....i changed jobs and now work from home. It gets stored for the winter and gets about 5-6k miles put on a year now....about 150-200 miles a week. Its seen many heat cycles. As of right now....they have held up fine with lots is truck pulling, some drag racing, burn outs, wot runs and 4x4 launches. Hypermax tested them seeing 120psi of boost and many heat cycles and still holding up. No I don't need a ring that hold that much psi....but at the time(back in '06), nothing was available from what I researched other than hypermax's fire ring kit. Feel free to call Hypermax and talk to Ron!

Last edited:

KCTurbos

Reaction score
For what it is worth... you can see the hypermax design that chris is talking about on page 6 of this link.

http://www.gohypermax.com/Links/Hypermax March April 2014.pdf

Chris. Have you pulled your heads off your motor yet? I hope you do not end up with the same problem as me when I was running a similar design to that hypermax kit. Everything was perfect with no issues until I got low compression on one cylinder. never even blew coolant out the degas.

20141111_064746_zps175ca722.png

20141108_162540_zpsca3d6906.png

borsky

Reaction score
Either way, it is 2015 and there are more practical options for the daily driver that are proven to hold up quite well. I wasn't knocking you for running them. And apparently their are some "Fire rings" that are more street able then others. Most experts don't suggest fire rings for the DD. And it would appear that the ones you are running are somewhat one of. Considering they don't even advertise them, i would wager their are 1000:1 more trucks running o-rings successfully then the version of "fire rings" your running.

Its funny how people get offended because they can't admit that there might be better options out there then what their running. And in the case of a DD/tow pig, o-rings in todays day, are the better option. unless u like spending money unnecasarily. Case closed

strokin6L

Reaction score
Either way, it is 2015 and there are more practical options for the daily driver that are proven to hold up quite well. I wasn't knocking you for running them. And apparently their are some "Fire rings" that are more street able then others. Most experts don't suggest fire rings for the DD. And it would appear that the ones you are running are somewhat one of. Considering they don't even advertise them, i would wager their are 1000:1 more trucks running o-rings successfully then the version of "fire rings" your running.

Its funny how people get offended because they can't admit that there might be better options out there then what their running. And in the case of a DD/tow pig, o-rings in todays day, are the better option. unless u like spending money unnecasarily. Case closed

I agree...today there are better options..and o-ringing is a better option. Not offending me by any means. Hypermax has many customers running their fire ring kit in competition and dd street use. The reason why they don't list it is because its not a big seller. Still don't mean it doesn't work well. Don't believe me...call them. Still sounds like you have little or next to no experience with fire rings and obviously know nothing about them. Case closed!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online