Replacement of displacement

brackin2000pstroke

Reaction score
when you let off abruptly or when you ease off the throttle?

does it surge in every tune?

2.3ms at idle? id say thats a bit high.. should be closer to 1ms... unless you are reading when the motor is cold..

live life full throttle
Surges every tune but won't do it all the time.. Happens more when its cold or cooler.. And ICP spikes when let off abruptly but doesnt have to be hammered on either.. If that all makes sense

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk

Blown262

Reaction score
I just took mine out for a blast. Oil temp was 178. PW at idle in 150 tune was 2.21ms and WOT at 2800 was 2.87ms. The ICP at idle is 475psi and WOT below 1700 was about 2900. Now the odd thing I noticed was, as soon as it got to 1600-1800, the icp would drop off to about 2300psi and my PW would open to about 3.45 and come back down. The ICP would never get back about 23-2400, in fact would go the other way and drop off the higher the RPMs went. When I'd jump off the throttle, ICP would spike to about 3500. I don't know what the deal is here but my driveability hasn't changed and it still pulls like a raped ape. I can only guess that the tunes are lying to the pcm and the scanner is picking up the falsified signals

golfer

Reaction score
I just took mine out for a blast. Oil temp was 178. PW at idle in 150 tune was 2.21ms and WOT at 2800 was 2.87ms. The ICP at idle is 475psi and WOT below 1700 was about 2900. Now the odd thing I noticed was, as soon as it got to 1600-1800, the icp would drop off to about 2300psi and my PW would open to about 3.45 and come back down. The ICP would never get back about 23-2400, in fact would go the other way and drop off the higher the RPMs went. When I'd jump off the throttle, ICP would spike to about 3500. I don't know what the deal is here but my driveability hasn't changed and it still pulls like a raped ape. I can only guess that the tunes are lying to the pcm and the scanner is picking up the falsified signals

no..

when your HPOP can't reach the desired pressure, the PCM or chip program will still try to reach the 'desired mass fuel desired'...

soo...when ICP falls ..the only thing the PCM/tuning can do to reach the desired MF is to lengthen the injector PW.

add a better/larger/twin HPOP or a smaller injector, and the same tune would hit a higher ICP number with a shorter injector duration (pulse width)

The spike in ICP when you let off the accelerator pedal is from all the injectors going from 3.xms to 0.6ms+/- with nowhere for all that HPOil volume to go (not going through the injs at 0.6ms, and can't bleed off through the IPR quickly enough) the ICP spikes until the IPR can dump off all the extra volume of oil.

Blown262

Reaction score
no..

when your HPOP can't reach the desired pressure, the PCM or chip program will still try to reach the 'desired mass fuel desired'...

soo...when ICP falls ..the only thing the PCM/tuning can do to reach the desired MF is to lengthen the injector PW.

add a better/larger/twin HPOP or a smaller injector, and the same tune would hit a higher ICP number with a shorter injector duration (pulse width)

The spike in ICP when you let off the accelerator pedal is from all the injectors going from 3.xms to 0.6ms+/- with nowhere for all that HPOil volume to go (not going through the injs at 0.6ms, and can't bleed off through the IPR quickly enough) the ICP spikes until the IPR can dump off all the extra volume of oil.

Makes sense. I don't get the drop in ICP when I'm on the stock tune. I'm on stock sticks with a brand new stock HPOP. The truck pulls hard on full fuel and just gives a quick puff of smoke when the tune kicks in around 1800 and clears right up when the boost catches up. I don't get any smoke at all on stock tune and it pulls pretty good considering it weighs over 3.5 tons

ja_cain

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure those split shots can be pretty oil hungry when called apon above stock fuel delivery rates. This is where the hybrids (or single shots) shine with their reduced oil requirements per volume of fuel delivered. Did you see where Curtis was running a stock hpop on hybrids with 200% nozzles? This really illustrates the oil hungryness of split shots and the reduction of oil required for hybrids. I would love to get a hold of Dave's (golfer) files for his 200/200's. Would need to figure out how to port them over to my pcm code. He had a zf too. I guess I would need to invest in Minotaur or borrow it from someone to make it work.

Blown262

Reaction score
I actually sent golfer a message before as everyone speaks highly of him. I have a minotaur that I used to mess around with the original TS tunes, but beans and most people I've talked to about it encrypt their tunes so I have no way of being able to see what is going on. I did see Curtis' response with the setup and that is awesome. I'm looking for a little less than that to be happy. Single shot 160/80s are what I'm leaning towards, but how do we avoid the issues OP is having with the smoke and surging at part throttle? I hate smoke and fuel isn't cheap.

Jomax

Reaction score
I actually sent golfer a message before as everyone speaks highly of him. I have a minotaur that I used to mess around with the original TS tunes, but beans and most people I've talked to about it encrypt their tunes so I have no way of being able to see what is going on. I did see Curtis' response with the setup and that is awesome. I'm looking for a little less than that to be happy. Single shot 160/80s are what I'm leaning towards, but how do we avoid the issues OP is having with the smoke and surging at part throttle? I hate smoke and fuel isn't cheap.

That's because he is the owner of swamps diesel. He's practically one of the legends in the 7.3 world. Without him, I don't think the 7.3s would be where they are.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

SDS97_7.3

Reaction score
That's because he is the owner of swamps diesel. He's practically one of the legends in the 7.3 world. Without him, I don't think the 7.3s would be where they are.

They wouldn't, the amount of time Dave's worked on and tuned them is insane. He's forgotten more than most will ever even possibly know about 7.3's. Look at Ponti's old sled truck. It put out more power than anyone could imagine a HEUI 7.3 could do at the time, and did it reliably

lincolnlocker

Reaction score

practically? he is "practically" god... well above a legend...
They wouldn't, the amount of time Dave's worked on and tuned them is insane. He's forgotten more than most will ever even possibly know about 7.3's. Look at Ponti's old sled truck. It put out more power than anyone could imagine a HEUI 7.3 could do at the time, and did it reliably
on a stock bottom end at that!!!!

he must be bored lately too... he has been posting some good chit lately!

live life full throttle

Jomax

Reaction score
practically? he is "practically" god... well above a legend...

on a stock bottom end at that!!!!

he must be bored lately too... he has been posting some good chit lately!

live life full throttle

Lol

Latest posts

Members online