Fuel additives...what's your poison?

Captaincworley

Reaction score
I guess I'm gonna place an order for some Archoil ar6200. I may even try the AR9100 when i do my next oil change.

Charles

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
Power service can go *** itself. Stuff leaks everywhere. I like the stanadyne, ford and royal purple.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

How you like the royal purple stuff? seen it at oreilys yesterday and was wanting to buy it but I ended up getting Howes.

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
I switched from Grey PS to Howes for several tanks. I noticed more smoke but it did seem to be a little quieter. Could it be that Grey PS has more cetane booster than the Howes?

P S in my 6.4 makes the injector clatter loud like a 6.0 and I didn't see any mileage gain.

I tried Howes for the first time yesterday within 2 miles I noticed the injector clatter is now gone and its quite like a 6.7 I have noticed more power and overall more responsive it was like someone flip a switch LOL.

black'n'blue

Reaction score
I guess I'm gonna place an order for some Archoil ar6200. I may even try the AR9100 when i do my next oil change.

Charles
I hane tried the ar9100 and it does what it says it'll do. There was less smoke on every start up until it was non existent and ran smother

CMCx2012

Reaction score
WhiteMamba, I have been using the Stanadyne for a while now. I planned to use it even after my truck has been completed, but I hear good things about the PS stuff.

WhiteMamba_Scorpion

Reaction score
WhiteMamba, I have been using the Stanadyne for a while now. I planned to use it even after my truck has been completed, but I hear good things about the PS stuff.
I had been using power service for about a year. Stopped using it after I had multiple pieces of equipment freeze up this past winter including mixing it with Diesel 911 also made by power service. I never had a problem in my personal truck but had 4 buddies had fuel gel up using it. I've been putting Stanadyne in every tank with my built motor and no complaints yet. Plus it's nice the way they designed the bottle way easier to pour into the spout with the Stanadyne bottle. Also the Performance Mix is good in the winter. Obviously can't test that yet but time will tell winter will be here before we know it.

gfulton

Reaction score
I had been using power service for about a year. Stopped using it after I had multiple pieces of equipment freeze up this past winter including mixing it with Diesel 911 also made by power service. I never had a problem in my personal truck but had 4 buddies had fuel gel up using it. I've been putting Stanadyne in every tank with my built motor and no complaints yet. Plus it's nice the way they designed the bottle way easier to pour into the spout with the Stanadyne bottle. Also the Performance Mix is good in the winter. Obviously can't test that yet but time will tell winter will be here before we know it.

I would not use that stuff if it was free......

bpan

Reaction score
Anyone use the John Deere stuff? It COMPLETELY cleaned up a misfire in my 6.4, just wondering if anyone has tried it in a 6.7L?

TyCorr

Reaction score
Ill just say here in cold winter, hot summer diesel guzzling midwest our fuel guys as they call them, my dad being one, say that if you find a decent fuel company, you dont need additives.

I second that. That said if you need additives where you fuel up in fair weather, you arent doing yourself (your truck) a single favor by continuing on with this cycle.

Pay to have it tested somewhere. Go to your local dealership that sells powerstrokes and ask them what stations they have had a batch of trashed fuel systems come from. They absolutely know this. Because when a really bad batch of garbage hits the street, they'll get severak trucks at one time and they find out if they all fueled at one place. Then they go there, buy a gal or two, take it back to the shop. Have it tested. Make the fuel station pay for 150k worth of trashed truck parts. As they should.

If you put any additive in and you gain 3mpg, you are running diesel with cetane ratings in the 30s. If dumping additive in makes an audible difference in anything, you are running your truck on very bad, poor quality fuel.

Find clean, 50-60 cetane rated, fuel and you don't need junk additives. Shouldnt even need antigel because any place that sells good fuel treats and tests the fuel with their additive (usually sure-flo) down to a specific temperature.

KYkickinit

Reaction score
50-60 cetane????? Never seen anything over 45 in Kentucky. Isn't one reason for running additives to give back lubricity that was lost when it went to ulsd? If that's the cause lubricity could defiantly make an audible difference.

dsmracing1

Reaction score
Where do you get your Stanadyne up here? Seems to be the choice for 6.7's

I have actually never run the stuff. But I have 3 friends that work for Brandt (John Deere Logging Division) up here and they get it for free. I run a combo of AmsOil cetane boost and Howes Conditioner in my truck.

It is true that your better off to find a good fuel station, but I have been told to at least throw some conditioner in the truck to help with the lost lubricity of the low sulphur diesel of today. I run the cetane booster as well since our diesel is crap up here in Canada. I have fuelled up at three different stations in three different provinces for the last year and a half. It's well below a 45 cetane rating in my opinion. The truck absolutely loves the cetane boost, with the difference in audible running noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
you are running diesel with cetane ratings in the 30s. If dumping additive in makes an audible difference in anything, you are running your truck on very bad, poor quality fuel.

Find clean, 50-60 cetane rated, fuel and you don't need junk additives. Shouldnt even need antigel because any place that sells good fuel treats and tests the fuel with their additive (usually sure-flo) down to a specific temperature.

Hawaii= $4.75 diesel that makes my trucks run like sh*t LOL.

I bet you are completely right on the cetane rating in the 30's or below down here.

Most of our pumps nozzles at our stations over here are covered in slight "surface" rust lol.

We got a few choices down here for diesel.

Tesoro which fuels up Shell , Aloha , 76 , sams club and a few others.

and Chevron which makes their own diesel thankfully lol which is the best I have found problem is we have 2 chevrons that have diesel.

that's it so no matter where you go other than chevron you are still getting the same bad quality "watered down" diesel the other stations are getting.

its mandatory for my trucks to have the fuel filters changed every 5k and a good additive in the tank every fill up.

put it this way are diesel is so bad it makes 6.7's and 6.4's rattle like 6.0's and 7.3's lol.

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
I filled up yesterday near Chicago. Noticed the cetane rating at 40.

08Monster

Reaction score
Our "premium" road master diesel here in ND has a rating of 42 or something. I can't tell a difference between that and the standard. A station at a race track in MN has a pump labeled Race Diesel. Lol

Latest posts

Members online