Stock egt's on a 2015

ClassicIDI

Reaction score
Ok so thanks to you guys I recently bought a 2015 f450, and yesterday was my first tow with it. From my 7.3 days I always want gauges so I put a edge evolution CTS2 in. No tunes just gauges. Truck is all stock.

Towing a 21k trailer and just over 30k gross. Truck did great. Pulled great & stopped great. Still learning it vers my 7.3 but overall very happy. I am monitoring the "exhaust manifold temperature" PID and most of the time cruising at 70mph it around 900 degrees but occasionally when it down shifts it will hit 14-1500 without much hesitation. On the Colorado passes 7% grade 10+ miles I was doing 50-55mph in 3rd gear about half throttle. Truck wasn't really working very hard but egt's in 1400's eot was 225ish, ect 215, trans 207.

All other temps were good but egt's we're freaking me out. I know only 15+ trucks monitor pre turbo temps stock which means the pcm is also seeing these 1400 degree temps and apparently is ok with it? I mean I come from 7.3's and 1250-1300 is it.

I noticed it go into Regen once on my 350mile trip and during this time on flat ground doing 70mph it was 12-1300 degrees and the second Regen turned off it dropped to 800-900. Is this thing really ok with 1450 degrees for 10mile long pulls?

If I ******* the truck will this temps drop? No tunes I don't want to change anything about it other then possibly *****.

As always thanks for your wisdom!

David

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

ckrueg

Reaction score
They would probably drop when it's de leeted due to more advanced timing and better airflow. When I got my ndash before I tuned it, my egts were similar during regen, but I didn't tow before I tuned it. I've never seen over 1200 towing but I don't tow really heavy.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

broncobilly_69

Reaction score
I’d love to see some more responses as well. I’m tuned and want know my max sustainable EGT is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jomax

Reaction score
1450 is way too high for stock.

Rule of thumb for sustained egt is 1250. I used to go till 1350 max towing personally.

Something is wrong with your truck.

ClassicIDI

Reaction score
well since I'm getting no where with responses here I reached out to my factory ford rep who sent an email to Detroit. The response he got back from an engineer was this.

Factory Tuning the truck begins to defuel when temps hit the following

EGT's: 1472
Engine oil temp: 257
Engine coolant temp : 225
Fuel rail temp: 176

I have continued driving the truck and towing although not as heavy and still have no codes or check engine lights. While Im not thrilled with these hot temps I have a hard time believing that "there is something wrong" when the truck exhibits no warning signs of any kind.

I asked a friend of mine at a ford dealer to check with his diesel techs and the response I got was "no idea we never monitor that while towing"

I also have a very good friend thats a tech at ATS and asked him if he'd ever seen a 6.7 melt a piston and the answer was no. I looked on the forums to try and find a melted 6.7 piston and could not find a single one.

Ive checked visually for cac tube leaks and exhaust leaks. couldn't find any. truck is regening around 300 intervals.

Still curious in others experiences but so far I appear to be the only person monitoring a bone stock truck and even then the guys with tuned and ******d no one really knows. 1250-1350-1450 its all opinion.

I know im heavy and I'm pulling at altitude which makes a big difference.

ckrueg

Reaction score
There's no way they would be offering a 100k mile warranty if the factory tuning allowed the engine to melt itself down.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Jomax

Reaction score
I monitored 2015 and 2017 stock. Foot to the floor unloaded I could never get it over 900... next time I’m with my brother in my old truck I’ll see what It does foot to the floor towing around 9k.

ClassicIDI

Reaction score
That would be great! Just to double check you were monitoring the egt sensor at the exhaust manifold correct? This is the other issue I've had trying to find info on this is most people are monitoring "EGT 1" which is the sensor pre DOC and until 2015 was the one closest to the engine.

2015's were the first year to have a fifth EGT sensor added actually in the manifold to get real temps.

I towed a 10k trailer last night and monitored both the "manifold egt" and "egt 1" which on the second one could not get over a 1000. There is a 300-500 degree difference between them and the manifold egt responds basically instantly to trottle input while "egt 1" is rather lazy.

Also when I first connected my cts2 manifold egt was not available I had to plug it into my computer and update it to get access to it.

Thanks again though, very curious to compare to another stock truck while towing. If there is something wrong with my truck I'm going to have to find it in order for Ford to do anything because right now if I bring it in there are gonna laugh and say no codes, no noises, fluids are perfect, It's fine go away.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk