Trans tuning thread?

Dzchey21

Reaction score
im wondering if it has something to do with the torque/inertia phases i see the stock files and h&s files are the same

Dzchey21

Reaction score
alright, another thing im not quiet understanding is the minimum speed ratio for lock up

right now the standard is 1.25 i think
the min speed ratio for lock up in hot mode is .56

So i changed the regular to .56 and it never locked the converter ever...

SO i guess i dont see how these two are used exactly

Gearhead

Reaction score
alright, another thing im not quiet understanding is the minimum speed ratio for lock up

right now the standard is 1.25 i think
the min speed ratio for lock up in hot mode is .56

So i changed the regular to .56 and it never locked the converter ever...

SO i guess i dont see how these two are used exactly

max doesn't really need to change

min is the one that needs changing because the lower the number, the more slipping there is.

Gearhead

Reaction score
yeah the 1.05 or whatever the larger number is max not min. the only way to have this above a 1 is if the truck was coasting down a hill and the trans input shaft is turning faster than engine RPM.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
yeah the 1.05 or whatever the larger number is max not min. the only way to have this above a 1 is if the truck was coasting down a hill and the trans input shaft is turning faster than engine RPM.

So would it help to make that number closer to 2? I think its 1.25 now and the min is .56 currently the "max" is set to 1.56

I changed the min to .26 with no apparent change

I have also set the lock up rate during a lock to lock shift to 0 as well as the other shift lock up tables with no apparent change to anything

Might put a lock up switch on it and see if my issues go away and Make positive its a lock up problem and not a clutch application problem or something but I don't feel it is

Last edited:

Dzchey21

Reaction score
And fwiw I don't have issues with the converter locking I have issues with it unlocking seemingly at every shift and then re-locking right after. Converter seams solid when its locked I mean even at 80 when the tires break loose there is no slip

Gearhead

Reaction score
I have emailed Bentley about it and he is trying his hardest to look for the parameter that is keeping it from relocking. The tighter converters or the lower power tunes seem to allow lockup just fine.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Like I said I have no issues with it locking when commanded to lock its the shifts after that *** it all up

Gearhead

Reaction score
yeah when it downshifts and then can't relock fast enough, it cries uncle and won't relock to "save" the converter clutch.

Frank_C

Reaction score
Dzchey, It sounds like you're trying to keep the converter from unlocking between up shifts under power if I'm reading it right?
Isn't the converter supposed to unlock between shifts under power, to put less stress on hard parts during a shift? Or is it unlocking during shifts at light throttle too?

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Dzchey, It sounds like you're trying to keep the converter from unlocking between up shifts under power if I'm reading it right?
Isn't the converter supposed to unlock between shifts under power, to put less stress on hard parts during a shift? Or is it unlocking during shifts at light throttle too?

It appears to only do it under full power from what I can feel.

I understand its probably trying to save parts. Mine takes seemingly forever to relock which I'm sure Costs me time at the track even if I could reduce the slip time for the unlock I would be happy

Will@Rudy'sDiesel

Reaction score
Is there any way that I can get the converter to lock as soon as it goes into second gear? Not a just WOT but like just when Im driving around town say at 5-10% throttle?

Fordtrucks

Reaction score
Is there any way that I can get the converter to lock as soon as it goes into second gear? Not a just WOT but like just when Im driving around town say at 5-10% throttle?

Yes, you can. But you wont see any benefit from it unless your at WOT. My tune locks in 3rd at part throttle and that's plenty early enough..

Dzchey21

Reaction score
I have been running a tune that locks in second and it works pretty well. The shift points are very hard to get right depending on how well the truck spools weight of the truck ect. I do like it better and I think the mileage is better. You do seem to lose some response since the rpm wont flash up the second you hit the throttle like unlocked.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Will@Rudy'sDiesel

Reaction score
I have been running a tune that locks in second and it works pretty well. The shift points are very hard to get right depending on how well the truck spools weight of the truck ect. I do like it better and I think the mileage is better. You do seem to lose some response since the rpm wont flash up the second you hit the throttle like unlocked.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

That's what I was going to try to get was better fuel mileage, it would have to help some.

tnutcher

Reaction score
And fwiw I don't have issues with the converter locking I have issues with it unlocking seemingly at every shift and then re-locking right after. Converter seams solid when its locked I mean even at 80 when the tires break loose there is no slip
Very old post I know but curious if you ever figured what to adjust to fix it? I'm having the same issue and been playing with the MCC myself but no luck. Locks strong in 4th, then unlocks, upshifts to 5th, and relocks strong in 5th; jerks the truck and rpms around a lot, especially if I try running a 3rd gear TC lock tune.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online