Axle help

psduser1

Reaction score
Its agricultural. Unless he kills someone, they prolly wont say anything. You actually measured it? Or just by looking at the back side of the axle housing?

And i wouldnt worry about the truck handling the trailer loaded with a few cattle.. this is my 01 and has been used like this for about 10 years now.
c94458bb2e01416904c64e68c237e5f4.jpg

live life full throttle

Yep-- Been there, seen that done on a 2500 Dodge 2wd that was owned by the drum corps I volunteered with. It was a hot mess... ran at 21K# (6K on rear axle) with a 32' tag all the time. We killed two tires and a rear end during a 12K miles summer tour. They just put another used rear end and new tires on it and kept going. You had to be incredibly careful with braking distance as it was overloaded. I put two weeks in driving that truck on tour and never again.

If you don't have the money, I get it-- be safe.

A 28ft cattle trailer will be a lot of weight for a srw. I run a 23ft and the 7.3s grunt when it's loaded with cows. Keep in mind that weight ratings for these truck are somewhere's around 20k ibs with the trailer. I run 9 big cows in my 23 footer (charolais, simmental, anguses, shorthorns and various crosses of the three), at 1500 ibs a cows if not more, I'm on the borderline of 20k ibs. If you're deadset on the 28 footer, I suggest then you don't load it right up as you'll run out of power, suspension and brakes.
Common point in these posts...
It can be done.
Should it be done?
That will depend on operator skill, and willingness to accept the liability, lol. Good luck!

gdairyfarm

Reaction score
So nobody has a reply for if I outta switch to a bigger rear and front axle to hopefully keep things together till I get a bigger truck?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PDT1081

Reaction score
So nobody has a reply for if I outta switch to a bigger rear and front axle to hopefully keep things together till I get a bigger truck?

Take every dollar you'd spend on upgrading the drive train in this truck, and put it towards a bigger truck.

farm boy

Reaction score
I put 4.30's under my 7.3 to handle the extra weight of hauling stuff around the farm. The single rear wheel is still your limitation. I ended up buying a Peterbilt that will pull those loads with ease. I run farm plates on it too.

Its for sale btw if your interested in getting a package deal... PM me if interested.

These single axle medium duty trucks are way cheaper than a used 1 ton and will tow twice as much.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 56
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1451-2.jpg
    IMG_1451-2.jpg
    399.2 KB · Views: 61

lincolnlocker

Reaction score

No need to change anything unless you are trying to put more power through it then what factory injectors can do. The pic i posted of my 01 has had that type of load on for most of the time it has been on our farm.

With that said and what the prior post to this one, we also upgraded to a single axle ford 8000. You cant even tell its loaded other than the slower take off..

live life full throttle

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I put 4.30's under my 7.3 to handle the extra weight of hauling stuff around the farm. The single rear wheel is still your limitation. I ended up buying a Peterbilt that will pull those loads with ease. I run farm plates on it too.

Its for sale btw if your interested in getting a package deal... PM me if interested.

These single axle medium duty trucks are way cheaper than a used 1 ton and will tow twice as much.
That is a sweet rig btw! I like the looks of those sigle axle trucks!

live life full throttle

Latest posts

Members online