Piston to Wall Clearance

cbrown

Reaction score
Wondering what everyone that has built their engine has set the clearance at? Is stock spec good, tighter, looser???? Pistons are .020" oversized delipped and coated, not that it really matters.

cbrown

Reaction score
And I'll throw another question in. What's the consensus on torque for arps 2nd time around? Heads will be o-ringed

Shafer171

Reaction score
Look in the library on the studs. For what It’s worth I’d recommend switching to h11 studs over 200 ft pounds would make me very nervous.

sootie

Reaction score
And I'll throw another question in. What's the consensus on torque for arps 2nd time around? Heads will be o-ringed

Dont reuse the studs. Recalling advice from an expert (Morgan bless his heart), 250 lb ft on all the studs except the four weak ones (the studs second in from each end of the block next to the lifter valley) do them at 225. Not a worry about cracking the block then.

cbrown

Reaction score
FYI, Mahle calls for stock clearance, but said that normally on a truck with a tune, the clearance can be increased 0.0005 to 0.001". I'll have to see what the studs were torqued at the first time around to see if it is worth reusing. If not, arp still good or go with another?

sootie

Reaction score
standard arps are fine, esp with o rings. just remember, 650 for new studs is an awful lot cheaper than changing blocks...

Latest posts

Members online