Zf6 to 4r100 swap

jlrisley23

Reaction score
Guy wants to trade trans with me he has a manual. I have the auto. I know what I need to make my truck manual. My question is how do I hook the wiring harness from the 4r100 to the manual truck. Is it possible. And is it a pain in the ass

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

ClassicIDI

Reaction score
The entire Engine bay harness and Engine harness must be swapped from truck to truck. Be careful if it's an 01 as the later builds had different wiring entirely. Look at the the throttle pedal in each truck. Two separate electrical plugs means it's a 99-early 01. One single plug means it's late 01-03

Also if your truck is an early 99 this adds complications involving the Air intake heater wiring. It can be worked around but keep it in mind.

Assuming both trucks are late 99 to early 01 the dash harnesses are the same. The clutch safety wiring is just plugged into a blank under the dash and everything else is the same.

I assume your also aware of the floor tunnel changes?

Make no mistake it's alot of work. It's all plug and play except the floor issue but it's gonna be some serious time seeing as how you have to do the swap both ways.

Also make sure both trucks are either electric tcase or manual tcase other wise you'll be pulling those apart to swap input shafts as well.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

ClassicIDI

Reaction score
It's taller on zf6 trucks. You can't put a Zf in an auto truck without serious work. You can put a auto in a Zf truck easy though.

94.5stroker

Reaction score
What about the tranny wiring I have been told I can just swap it out. Take out the manual harness to the main connectors and swap in my auto? I take it you’ve done the swap? I’ve also been told that the wiring for shift on the fly tcase is behind the dash even if the pickup was a manual shift tcase. Haven’t had time to pull the dash to see but I’m hoping it’s there cause I’m going from a manual shift, zf6 tcase to my shift on the fly 4r100 tcase.

ClassicIDI

Reaction score
That is incorrect. On 99-01 trucks autos have an 4 plug that the trans harness plugs into. That plug is not there in manuals which I why I said you have to change the entire Engine bay harness. Also on late 99 to 01 there Engine have an actual coolant temp sensor for the pcm so you have to swap engine harness and that sensor on those trucks.

Yes the wiring is behind the dash for the switch but if you do that your gonna have a hole in the carpet to cover. The hole in the cab is there on all trucks just has plate covering it on electric trucks. You will also have to switch gem modules or get Ford to reprogram them (which they may tell you they can't do which is a lie) if you swap them the trucks must be optioned the same. Power windows, locks, cruise, keyless entry. stuff is not gonna work right otherwise

jlrisley23

Reaction score
That is incorrect. On 99-01 trucks autos have an 4 plug that the trans harness plugs into. That plug is not there in manuals which I why I said you have to change the entire Engine bay harness. Also on late 99 to 01 there Engine have an actual coolant temp sensor for the pcm so you have to swap engine harness and that sensor on those trucks.

Yes the wiring is behind the dash for the switch but if you do that your gonna have a hole in the carpet to cover. The hole in the cab is there on all trucks just has plate covering it on electric trucks. You will also have to switch gem modules or get Ford to reprogram them (which they may tell you they can't do which is a lie) if you swap them the trucks must be optioned the same. Power windows, locks, cruise, keyless entry. stuff is not gonna work right otherwise

Guy backed out of the swap when,i told him how much work was involved

ClassicIDI

Reaction score
To go both ways it's a mess. If your really wanting to do a auto swap I will probably be parting my truck with a built auto and floor shift tcase. Everything available in perfect working order. Lost the Engine and bought a crew cab instead of fixing this one. Pm if interested I would pallet everything and ship it

jlrisley23

Reaction score
To go both ways it's a mess. If your really wanting to do a auto swap I will probably be parting my truck with a built auto and floor shift tcase. Everything available in perfect working order. Lost the Engine and bought a crew cab instead of fixing this one. Pm if interested I would pallet everything and ship it

I don't want an auto. In looking for a zf6

Latest posts

Members online