Complete Mini D2S 3.0 Retrofit DIY Guide

FX44AU

Reaction score
There is definitely a difference in the output and I had 50w ballasts in both mine and my wife's truck for a couple months. In the end I went back to 35w ballasts because the 50w ballasts had way too much foreground lighting (light close to the vehicle) and seriously affected my distance vision on high beams.

BIG JUICE

Reaction score
just finished these up. thanks for info. hate to revive old thread but you made it simple for me and I owe you a thanks!! maybe a couple beers too! lol

ckrueg

Reaction score
I recommend not doing it on a truck that needs to be driven the next morning lol. Ended up rushing and staying up all night.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

powerlifter405

Reaction score
I recently converted a camry to morimoto hi/low projectors. I also used the factory "high" location and installed amazon no-name H1 projectors w/ yellow bulbs as my fog.

It was time consuming over all, nothing, even from MM was drop-in regardless of what "Kit" you buy. BUT take away

F3-fast brights 35w were less than half the cost of the MM ballast and just as bright.
Amazon projectors were just as nice as the MM, again at half the cost.
Nothing in my retro, using two different part sources, convinced me that going MM at close to $400 was worth it. The amazon sourced items have identical looking patterns, light output IMHO is a bit brighter and the cost was less than $150.

And a note on the bake. I dropped the temp and increased the time when I split. I did "as recommended" and my way, and the lower temp/longer time was easier to split and more comfortable to handle even w/ gloves. I did a pre-heat when re-joining, putting the gasket piece in about 8 minutes at the lower temp, joined and re-ovened for another 5-7 min.

Anyway, good luck to all.

Last edited:

Jomax

Reaction score
I recently converted a camry to morimoto hi/low projectors. I also used the factory "high" location and installed amazon no-name H1 projectors w/ yellow bulbs as my fog.

It was time consuming over all, nothing, even from MM was drop-in regardless of what "Kit" you buy. BUT take away

F3-fast brights 35w were less than half the cost of the MM ballast and just as bright.
Amazon projectors were just as nice as the MM, again at half the cost.
Nothing in my retro, using two different part sources, convinced me that going MM at close to $400 was worth it. The amazon sourced items have identical looking patterns, light output IMHO is a bit brighter and the cost was less than $150.

And a note on the bake. I dropped the temp and increased the time when I split. I did "as recommended" and my way, and the lower temp/longer time was easier to split and more comfortable to handle even w/ gloves. I did a pre-heat when re-joining, putting the gasket piece in about 8 minutes at the lower temp, joined and re-ovened for another 5-7 min.

Anyway, good luck to all.

What lower temp did you use and how long?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

powerlifter405

Reaction score
What lower temp did you use and how long?

The retrosource or whoever it is that sells the MM has a forum and temps range from 300-250. IIRC, sorry for the hellish long delay, but I want to say 225. I left them in for a longer than most threads suggested but the cooler temp made it easier to handle but the butyl was so much easier to deal w/.

Latest posts

Members online