Street truck wanna-be

Jordan8505

Reaction score
Thats what I started doing, for some reason my pictures won't just show up. But its the second link. It just started peeling off the metal without crushing it at all.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
For the ball joint, use an air hammer to crush the sides of it and then push it thru the tube using the air hammer. Had quite a few do that to me, and while it does take extra time, the air hammer typically does the trick. Just be careful not to **** up the housing

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
Whs^^^

live life full throttle

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Do you do it on a certain side? I started this on the topside of it and it started pushing it in but then just started shearing it off without even starting to cave in.
Yea, you need to start on the bottom (where the actual shaft of the ball joint was), and drive it out the top (where the flat part was). The top has a lip that stops it from going thru the axle housing

Connor M

Youtube Certified Master Technician
Reaction score
If I wanted to save money and labor to go fast I would just buy a new sports car.

Hahaha, exactly. IDK what it is that draws me/us to going fast in a pickup truck but people spend a lot of time and money to make a truck go in a straight line about as well as a stock sports car.
It certainly isn't a good dollar to speed ratio.

Sixfoh

Reaction score
With just about any sports/race machine youll never get back what you put into it. Its all about enjoying yourself and the journey it takes you on. Is the speed to dollar ratio good? Definitely not on these trucks but damn is it impressive when a truck puts it down on a car half its weight.

Jordan8505

Reaction score
Yea, you need to start on the bottom (where the actual shaft of the ball joint was), and drive it out the top (where the flat part was). The top has a lip that stops it from going thru the axle housing

Okay yeah thats what I was doing and irs just shearing it off like I said. The only other thing I can think to help that is to take a Sawzall to it and cut a relief or a few all the way through the center. I just don't want to mess up the axle housing.

Jordan8505

Reaction score
Hahaha, exactly. IDK what it is that draws me/us to going fast in a pickup truck but people spend a lot of time and money to make a truck go in a straight line about as well as a stock sports car.
It certainly isn't a good dollar to speed ratio.

I have no idea, but I love it. There's something about surprising people with a truck that makes me happy. My first one was a 2012 ram sclb that put down 720 on the dyno with 50psi, however it would peg 65psi on the street. I ran a single 75 on it so that was probably the dyno issue. But it would scare the crap out of people who rode with me haha. I could of had a mustang twice as fast for the money I put in but everybody expects that.

Jordan8505

Reaction score
With just about any sports/race machine youll never get back what you put into it. Its all about enjoying yourself and the journey it takes you on. Is the speed to dollar ratio good? Definitely not on these trucks but damn is it impressive when a truck puts it down on a car half its weight.

exsctly right, plus when I can tow my race car to the track, unhook my trailer and spank your street car then tow my car home, im a happy man lol.

Jordan8505

Reaction score

So I was piddling around like normal looking at options, opinions, etc. for my build, because if its not done theres still time to change things... and be cheaper than changing after lol. I ran across a towing thread because the side of my mind listening to reason is telling i still need to tow. Were about to start running cattle and I dont want to buy a new truck just yet, maybe never because I like not having debt.

Running through threads I saw where you were talking about towing and the kc2 and 190/30s was awesome, cool but thats not enough when my 6.7 cummins would tow vehichles on the race tune with 900hp and a single 75. Im gonna be bored when I go to play with it lol. But then I noticed your thread for the first time and you have the compounds kc2/76 with 250/100s.

Do you still tow the 15klbs with this like you planned to? What kit do you have? The only kits I've found are from so cal bullet which don't list prices or really any info, and black widow diesel which I cant find anything about. If I could have even 800hp with an auto and not have to get another tow truck i would be happy.

Then I can swap a 12v into my 76 ford and make it my tow pig and then go hog wild on this truck.

Last edited:

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
So I was piddling around like normal looking at options, opinions, etc. for my build, because if its not done theres still time to change things... and be cheaper than changing after lol. I ran across a towing thread because the side of my mind listening to reason is telling i still need to tow. Were about to start running cattle and I dont want to buy a new truck just yet, maybe never because I like not having debt.

Running through threads I saw where you were talking about towing and the kc2 and 190/30s was awesome, cool but thats not enough when my 6.7 cummins would tow vehichles on the race tune with 900hp and a single 75. Im gonna be bored when I go to play with it lol. But then I noticed your thread for the first time and you have the compounds kc2/76 with 250/100s.

Do you still tow the 15klbs with this like you planned to? What kit do you have? The only kits I've found are from so cal bullet which don't list prices or really any info, and black widow diesel which I cant find anything about. If I could have even 800hp with an auto and not have to get another tow truck i would be happy.

Then I can swap a 12v into my 76 ford and make it my tow pig and then go hog wild on this truck.
So, I towed once with the 250/100s and compounds. #1 rod decided it wanted to exit the block... I had stock rods at the time, and it seemed to be a freak break, as I was doing 15 mph and slowly accelerating in my neighborhood when it let go.

Prior to blowing the **** up, it was towing great. I was able to keep my egts in check even cruising in overdrive at 75 mph. Had tons of power and had no problem accelerating to pass people if needed.

Currently waiting on machining and balancing of a new engine thats gonna get rods and 330/150s and a kc 2 with a 488, and gonna see how that tows.

Jordan8505

Reaction score
Currently waiting on machining and balancing of a new engine thats gonna get rods and 330/150s and a kc 2 with a 488, and gonna see how that tows.

And here I was convinced from everyone that talks about towing and making power with a 6.0 that over 500hp and you cant tow crap. Stuff like this is what makes my wife question why I'm smiling at my phone haha.

So who did your compound kit, or did you fab it up yourself? Ive welded might and tig for work, but im no welder or fabricator so I kinda would rather get a kit since it should come with everything and ready to go. If this will allow me to meet all my goals I'm definitely gonna have to go this route.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
And here I was convinced from everyone that talks about towing and making power with a 6.0 that over 500hp and you cant tow crap. Stuff like this is what makes my wife question why I'm smiling at my phone haha.

So who did your compound kit, or did you fab it up yourself? Ive welded might and tig for work, but im no welder or fabricator so I kinda would rather get a kit since it should come with everything and ready to go. If this will allow me to meet all my goals I'm definitely gonna have to go this route.
My kit is an old kit that Matt kubik from cutting edge diesel had built, I'm pretty sure he isnt making them anymore though

Jordan8505

Reaction score
My kit is an old kit that Matt kubik from cutting edge diesel had built, I'm pretty sure he isnt making them anymore though

I ran across his videos on YouTube from like 8 years ago, seemed like a pretty mean truck.

I called socal billet today to ask about their kit and it sounds like thats the place to go. The kit starts at 4800, add the turbos, hes using sxe, bullet wheel, 360 thrust bearing turbos, and thats i think 2300. Shipping was about 325. He recommended going with a 366/480 setup and 250/75-100 but im pretty sure ill go on and do the 100s.

I was wondering if he would and he actually recommended before I could ask, going ahead and getting the t4 kit with the 366 and run it. That will get the truck going then i can order the t6 kit and turbo once im ready for it. That will have me with a good amount of power and still towing. Then once I get another tow truck I can just sell those turbos and injectors and upgrade.

Latest posts

Members online