2017 turbo???

qzillanut

Reaction score
Ok so I’ve been reading a lot on these new trucks since purchasing one in November. I have read that the 17’s went back to a SST turbo like the 11-14’s. Other stuff I have read says it’s just a bigger better version of the 15+ VGT turbo. Can anyone shed some light on what exactly the new turbo is? My understanding is that the SST turbos were more prone to bearing failure. I am curious what has been done to fix the problem if they went back to that design. I’ve seen several dyno charts comparing the 11 turbo to the 15 turbo and the 11 is better below 2000 rpm. The way I drive my truck it rarely goes over 2000 rpm, so that aspect is appealing but bearing failure is not.

sootie

Reaction score
It is EXACTLY the same as the 15-16 turbos but the oil feed for the turbo runs inside the pedestal, negating the external oil feed.

qzillanut

Reaction score
I believe you are correct Sootie. I’m not sure why so many sources are saying it went back to SST but there are many that are saying that. Simple google search for 2017 6.7 powerstroke turbo and most everything at the top of the page says it went back to SST

But I don’t believe it did. It’s just as sootie said new pedestal and same on everything else

Last edited:

qzillanut

Reaction score
I know the 18’s have a power bump and ive read they have better heads, and manifold design. I’m sure thats crap and it’s just turning changes. Nothing more than a mood time shift

sootie

Reaction score
I believe you are correct Sootie. I’m not sure why so many sources are saying it went back to SST but there are many that are saying that. Simple google search for 2017 6.7 powerstroke turbo and most everything at the top of the page says it went back to SST

But I don’t believe it did. It’s just as sootie said new pedestal and same on everything else

i know i'm correct, i have them sitting side by side on the bench lol

Black AOD

Reaction score
I know the 18’s have a power bump and ive read they have better heads, and manifold design. I’m sure thats crap and it’s just turning changes. Nothing more than a mood time shift

It's funny people keep making comments about better heads and manifolds for 18's. I asked a ford Tech and a ford parts guy and a Ford engineer at our big local dealer about this. Part wise, 2017 and 2018 heads are identical. The part #s don't even change and the Engineer even said he wasn't aware of a change.

But who knows....Maybe Ford made very minor changes and everything else stayed the same. The power bump on 18's is what, 5-10 hp and 10 lb/ft? So like 1 added psi or less of boost probably

geolp

Reaction score
17 streetmax, same as 15-16 minus the external oil feed

Attachments

• IMG_20170807_164357808.jpg
    IMG_20170807_164357808.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 105

qzillanut

Reaction score
I just read this. Autocorrect nightmare. I meant “Nothing more than a minor tune change”

qzillanut

Reaction score
It's funny people keep making comments about better heads and manifolds for 18's. I asked a ford Tech and a ford parts guy and a Ford engineer at our big local dealer about this. Part wise, 2017 and 2018 heads are identical. The part #s don't even change and the Engineer even said he wasn't aware of a change.

But who knows....Maybe Ford made very minor changes and everything else stayed the same. The power bump on 18's is what, 5-10 hp and 10 lb/ft? So like 1 added psi or less of boost probably

I seriously doubt there is a change in any hard parts. But certain articles I have read claim there has been. Just like they claimed they went back to the SST turbo. :doh:

sootie

Reaction score
I seriously doubt there is a change in any hard parts. But certain articles I have read claim there has been. Just like they claimed they went back to the SST turbo. :doh:
The rods are bigger on the 17+ than prior years. The Ford release said head changes but I won't know for sure until I get a 2018 vin and can do some digging.

Latest posts

Members online