Tuner Question

rsmith0801

Reaction score
Hello, new to the forum and new to the powerstroke/diesel truck thing. I have a 2008 6.4 FX4 I plan on lifting 6" with 20X14 AF Blades w/ Toyo OC 35/12.50X20. It already has the ### and *** ******. Along the frame rail there are 3 plugs total, 2 of which look like o2 sensors that are just tucked away with the sensors still attached the other one (furthest to the rear) has some kind of resistor plugged into it. The truck runs amazing as it is but of course I want it faster but not extreme. What would be a good basic tuner that would give me good improvement without having to ****** the other valve on the engine? Is it necessary to ****** the ###valve when adding a tuner and what are the benefits of the ******? And yes, I know how to use Google and know how to use the forum search as well but as we all know, searching can get you just as confused as I may already be. Just looking for some input from guys with experience.

Bigboytoys

Reaction score
Since there are really bad words ***, CAT, ****** ..... and gasoline being blanked out I'll take a guess that it's C a t and D P F d eleted already and your asking about E G R d eletes

I'll guess you bought this truck this way as there has to be some kind of t uning done to the truck already or it would be setting codes and not cranking. Do you know what kind of t uner by chance?

I do believe that the minimum is the run a t une with the E G R t urned o ff and c ooler d elete is an option but not absolutely necessary and can cause frozen E B P sensor issues if you live in a cold climate like I do. I would just leave the c oolers and the stock intake and E G R valve in place unless your planing on doing C A C pipe upgrade and intake elbow, don't get a cheap intake elbow BTW as there is a difference.

And Welcome to the PSA btw ...!!!

I run S partan t uning and am veeery impressed with what they have done and a huge update is due very soon so it'll be even better.

Last edited:

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Op - give me a call , we can walk you thru your options. We sell any and all tuners for the 6.4 and all supporting mods as well.

rsmith0801

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I was told when I bought it that it did have a t une but it did not come with a t uner so I have no idea. I really don't want to do an E G R D elete if I don't have to. I want to keep the engine as reliable as possible even if that means taking it off. I figured it had some kind of t une to keep the light off but wasn't sure to what extent.

Bigboytoys

Reaction score
Do you know anyone with an above average code scanner that could pull the engine and trans version? This may tell us what tuning is loaded.

The other question is, does the truck do the stock idle loop of E G R on and then off again or does it just sit there and idle?

Sit there and idle would mean the E G R is turned off already.

I would add a coolant filter, Diesesite is a bucks down unit, no limits air filter, change the oil on time, change the fuel filters on time, dump the water separator periodically is a good start to keeping that truck a long time.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I was told when I bought it that it did have a t une but it did not come with a t uner so I have no idea. I really don't want to do an E G R D elete if I don't have to. I want to keep the engine as reliable as possible even if that means taking it off. I figured it had some kind of t une to keep the light off but wasn't sure to what extent.

ABSOLUTELY ditch the egr if you want it to live . like i said , i can walk you thru all the options , we just gotta figure out what you have currently .

rsmith0801

Reaction score
The E G R sits there at idle showing 0.0% and E G R err shows 94.2%. I am assuming it is turned off already. I have already changed the fuel filters and drained the water separator.

Bigboytoys

Reaction score
Yes, it does sound like the E G R is turned off by what ever t uning is already in the truck.

So could you pull the engine and trans strategies?

How are you monitoring the E G R % ?

Chucky74

Reaction score
Bigrpower, where are you located? And what's a good time to call you? I got questions regarding my 6.4 as well. Thanks]

PM bigrpowr (mike @ no limit)

Latest posts

Members online