6.4 first mods.

cbking

Reaction score
I just bought a bone stock 6.4 with 130,000 miles on it. I'm think my first mods will be tuner and 4" exhaust. I know a cold air intake is also recommended but not necessary. I don't want to make a ton of power with the truck I just want to ****** the *** to gain some mileage and reliability. What are my best option for tuners?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
I just bought a bone stock 6.4 with 130,000 miles on it. I'm think my first mods will be tuner and 4" exhaust. I know a cold air intake is also recommended but not necessary. I don't want to make a ton of power with the truck I just want to ****** the *** to gain some mileage and reliability. What are my best option for tuners?

PM bigrpowr (mike @ no limit) on here he will get you taken cared of.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Yea call Mike at No Limit. Great Guy and has help many on the forum including me spend way too much money having fun.
But to answer your questions you have options on everything you want. Call Mike and he an answer all of them.

CAT35niner

Reaction score
Depends if the engine was worked on at all in the past I would invest in a new set of rockers to make sure you won't have a failure. Then go for the performance.

Turdchucker22

Reaction score
I went with SPAR--TAN for my tuning and have zero regrets. They are doing a lot of updates to their tune list coming here shortly. 4" exhaust will be a bit higher pitched, 5" will have the deeper tone. Most agree there is zero performance gain going with the 5". I currently run the 275hp tune, and averaging 18-19 hand calc on the highway. The higher the tune usually yields better mpg on these trucks, as long as you're not on it, which truly will be hard to do once you unleash the beast hidden in these 6.4's. They're truly a different truck. Good luck and you have any questions there are a ton of knowledgable guys on here. Bigrpowr from No Limit is the man to talk to. He will set you up the right way for your needs.

f350guy

Reaction score
I would service it front to back and have the oil sampled before doing anything. If the motor is already about to **** the bed, it should show up in the oil analysis.

From there all depends on budget. If tight, just do the pipe, maybe a used SCT, a cold air intake, and blockoff plates for the EGR.

I ran a 500hp street tune from IDP for years on a stock air intake (with pipe, EGR plates, and SCT) while I was under warranty. A real high flow intake will really help top end power and should drop EGTs. Highest flowing is the 'No Limit' setup. I sucked in the filter miner on my AFE kit once I stepped up to a 'Hot Street' tune...stock turbochargers, most all air mods.

100% buy a monitor to check engine vitals. I am not keen on using my tuner for it due to the cost of it, in the event some prick breaks in to steal it. Used Edge CS are pretty cheap now that the V2 are all out now.

cbking

Reaction score
Mikes recommendations so far have been sct x4 with gear head tunes a 4" exhaust egr ****** and a no limits intake.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Mikes recommendations so far have been sct x4 with gear head tunes a 4" exhaust egr ****** and a no limits intake.

if you want to monitor, we package the edge cts2 as well !

cbking

Reaction score
How is the sct x4 with gear head tunes vs a mini Maxx. What's the advantage and disadvantages to each?

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
ultimately... a really long story made really really short?

The Mini Maxx is far more versatile with far more options and abilities that you may never make use of. A 6.4 runs amazing on just a tune only. So you may never want or need "more". Most 6.4 owners don't.

But the Mini is la creme de la creme

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
ultimately... a really long story made really really short?

The Mini Maxx is far more versatile with far more options and abilities that you may never make use of. A 6.4 runs amazing on just a tune only. So you may never want or need "more". Most 6.4 owners don't.

But the Mini is la creme de la creme

minus the tuning that comes on it. thats the killer. pay $1300 and then need to spend $500 more to put good custom tuning on it. but for the mod heavy person its the only way to go for sure.

Chucky74

Reaction score
Hello, looking at doing several mods to my 6.4 since just hitting 100k.. Anyone know how I can contact Mike at No Limit? Thanks

PM bigrpowr (mike @ no limit)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.