Go Back   PowerStrokeArmy > Power Strokes > 6.7 Aftermarket

Old 10-04-2017, 06:51 PM
Major
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckinney1 View Post
I have heard the stock turbo goes out early on these trucks. I will have to keep the S363 in mind.
Did you have to change anything else along with the turbo to make it work?
Yes, have to get a non-vgt turbo kit.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Old 10-04-2017, 09:07 PM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

Quote:
I have heard the stock turbo goes out early on these trucks. I will have to keep the S363 in mind.
Did you have to change anything else along with the turbo to make it work?
Mine had a 160k on it and it wasn't gone but was on the way out. You'll need tuning for the non vgt but all tuners of done a good job of putting quality engine files together. I have GH and TyRaNt both are pretty hot. As a result of the turbo I now get to spend several g's on a transmission rebuild and I'll upgrade to a 2016 pump at the same time. Building it with 750hp Suncoast internals so it should get fun now that I don't have to pussy foot the thing all the time.
Old 10-05-2017, 07:37 AM
Private
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
Mine had a 160k on it and it wasn't gone but was on the way out. You'll need tuning for the non vgt but all tuners of done a good job of putting quality engine files together. I have GH and TyRaNt both are pretty hot. As a result of the turbo I now get to spend several g's on a transmission rebuild and I'll upgrade to a 2016 pump at the same time. Building it with 750hp Suncoast internals so it should get fun now that I don't have to pussy foot the thing all the time.
Sounds like your getting that things built up well! Thanks for your input, guess i'll keep the stock turbo for a while then and just deal with the hiss.

I wanted to get rid of the constant failing *** issues I was having, I had 17k on the truck and had already been in the shop 2 times for that **** and wanted to get some reliability back.

I have gone down the road of building vehicles and don't want this truck to become a constant money hog
Old 10-09-2017, 10:00 AM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Sounds like your getting that things built up well! Thanks for your input, guess i'll keep the stock turbo for a while then and just deal with the hiss.

I wanted to get rid of the constant failing *** issues I was having, I had 17k on the truck and had already been in the shop 2 times for that **** and wanted to get some reliability back.

I have gone down the road of building vehicles and don't want this truck to become a constant money hog
The hiss is a byproduct of the variable veins in the turbo, so not a sign it is failing just inherent to the design.

These trucks money pit really quick. I bought mine and have put close to the price of the truck into in just under 3 years. When you add power other things begin to pop up pretty quick.
Old 10-09-2017, 06:14 PM
Major
Member's Gallery

Quote:
The hiss is a byproduct of the variable veins in the turbo, so not a sign it is failing just inherent to the design.

These trucks money pit really quick. I bought mine and have put close to the price of the truck into in just under 3 years. When you add power other things begin to pop up pretty quick.

Really!? You must have got a lemon. Iíve got close to 100K of hard oilfield and pipeline kilometres and the only items for maintenance have been a track bar ball joint, drag link, front right wheel bearing and fuel pressure regulator. Iím pushing close to 700whp for a work truck too lol.

"The Work Truck"
Old 10-11-2017, 10:31 PM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmracing1 View Post
Really!? You must have got a lemon. Iíve got close to 100K of hard oilfield and pipeline kilometres and the only items for maintenance have been a track bar ball joint, drag link, front right wheel bearing and fuel pressure regulator. Iím pushing close to 700whp for a work truck too lol.

Maybe. I have 210k miles of hard work and it hasn't left me stranded. Just saying after 3 tuners with more than a few custom tunes, non VGT with all the piping and now a fully Suncoast 750 horse built transmission I'm in it for close to 20k in upgrades; some needed and some wanted. Not cheap to my meager bank account.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:16 AM
Major
Member's Gallery

Default What EGT Temps are you getting?

Quote:
Maybe. I have 210k miles of hard work and it hasn't left me stranded. Just saying after 3 tuners with more than a few custom tunes, non VGT with all the piping and now a fully Suncoast 750 horse built transmission I'm in it for close to 20k in upgrades; some needed and some wanted. Not cheap to my meager bank account.

Oh I see what youíre saying now haha. Well In that sense Iím right there with you minus the trans. That will be soon enough though lol
"The Work Truck"
Old 10-12-2017, 01:08 PM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmracing1 View Post
Oh I see what youíre saying now haha. Well In that sense Iím right there with you minus the trans. That will be soon enough though lol
Maybe crack is a better term than money pit.

I will say that even with 210k miles and hurting, the transmission held up and never got hot pulling 15k pounds a few hundred miles in 90 degree weather. I honestly think you can't kill it completely. Hard to spend the money for the 750 horse kit when it was still driving but I have been putting up with horrible shifts for 70k miles, finally hit my limit.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:56 PM
Major
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Maybe crack is a better term than money pit.

I will say that even with 210k miles and hurting, the transmission held up and never got hot pulling 15k pounds a few hundred miles in 90 degree weather. I honestly think you can't kill it completely. Hard to spend the money for the 750 horse kit when it was still driving but I have been putting up with horrible shifts for 70k miles, finally hit my limit.

I hear ya there man! My trans is hurting too. Rough 3-4 shift and a jarring 3-2 down shift...
"The Work Truck"