Go Back   PowerStrokeArmy > Power Strokes > 6.0 Aftermarket

Old 02-19-2017, 06:34 PM
Major
Member's Gallery

Default Back in a 6.0!! Wanna mod on the cheap

So after 8 years I've found myself back in a 6.0. Never thought I'd see the day, especially how much I loved my (3) 6.4s but none the less I'm here! So... Short version, I've got a completely stock 2005 with 115k on it. It has a brand new oil cooler, EGR and turbo gone through by Ford in the last 10K miles.

I'm wanting to do this on the cheap as we're looking to pick up a camper and would rather spend my money there at this timel. Won't be heavy so the truck won't be straining to much but I do want it to perform. I've been way out of the loop on 6.0's for a long time, sold ours off in 2008.

So what's the list?!

- High Idle Mod (will find directions somewhere)
- should I throw a coolant filter on it?
- Exhaust or just a CAT ****** pipe?
- EGR ******s - I'm confused with all the options, on how much or little i need for this and if the Delta Kit covers everything I need?
- Tuner - Who's the best these days and on what monitor? Going to have to drill and tap for EGT's right? Note I don't even want to buy anything over a mild street tune... I know myself and don't want 6.0 problems lol
- blue spring mod??
- Intake really worth the money if staying on the cheap?
- Any piping needed with the EGR ******?
- CCV worth doing? I see some oil buildup on the boots for sure

What are the easy one's I'm missing guys? Sorry for the "Newbie" questions, like I said, it's been a long time!

Last edited by LovinPSDs; 02-19-2017 at 06:51 PM.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:36 PM
Major
Member's Gallery

First off, coolant filter is a must. Full exhaust is nice, but if you want to stay cheap, pull the kitty and take an air hammer to it... I prefer welding the cooler for taking care of the egr, but thats just me. From what ive heard, stock air boxes will flow enoigh for what you are looking for with a mild street tune, ccv mod isnt a bad idea, probably get some new boots to take care of the leaks. Ditch the plastic tube if it has it. If you are doing stuff with the egr, either replace the section of up pipe, or knock the baffle out of it, as it blocks like half the pipe on the 05+. Sct with tunes... I lime idp, gear head seems to be a go to, tsd has pretty good tunes as well. I would be saving for studs if i were you as well. It should last a while on bolts, but the time will come, and we all know "i want a mild street tune only" only lasts until a mustang or camaro decides to be a prick...
04 cclb IDP and TSD tunes, No Limit intake and cac tubes, CSF intercooler, ARP 625 studs, Oringed heads, Oliver's Stage 2 ported intake manifold, Holder's 205/30 injectors, KC stage 3, RCD Stage 1 cam, RCD lifters, push rods, and 120# springs, MBRP 4 inch single smoker with 6 in black angle cut stack, Snow Stage 2, Air Dog 2, Driven Diesel regulated return, Auto Meter Factory Match boost, pyro, trans, hpop, fuel pressure, Cervini's 3 in cowl hood, smoked tail lights, 05 front end
Old 02-20-2017, 09:52 PM
Major
Member's Gallery

- Coolant Filter - Done
- Tuning - Going to go with Edge CTS2 Pro and ******** tunes
- EGR - http://sinisterdiesel.com/i-15883450...2007-6-0l.html
- I'll throw a blue spring Mod on while I'm at it

I am still a bit confused on where the "Delta Kit" comes into play here. I know were shooting for near matching delta's and that kit helps but what does it bring to the table over the Sinister kit? I'm not sure I fully get what the Delta Kit does.

Last edited by LovinPSDs; 02-20-2017 at 10:01 PM.
Old 02-21-2017, 06:53 AM
General
Member's Gallery

I wouldn't use anything with the Sinister name on it.
VEGISTROKED
495/906

KCCO
Old 02-21-2017, 07:13 AM
General
Member's Gallery

nor would i use anything called "delta kit". snake oil at best...

Midwest Diesel & Auto...Gear Head Automotive Performance...No Limit Fabrication...Barder Turbo Service...PMF Suspension...
Old 02-21-2017, 07:30 AM
Major
Member's Gallery

Hmm... preferred vendors for EGR kits and coolant filter?

I'd like to replace the up pipe and re route the coolant like the Sinister kit does, or so it appears.

I'm ok without a delta kit assuming the EGR gets appropriately taken care of.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:15 AM
General
Member's Gallery

Dieselsite for the coolant filter, they were the originals.

I use an RCD kit for the EGR stuff. Made in USA. (cheaper than the copied and painted blue Sinister stuff too)
VEGISTROKED
495/906

KCCO
Old 02-21-2017, 09:29 AM
Major
Member's Gallery

I completely forget about RCD. I worked with those guys way back in the day. Like I said, it's been a minute!! I'll give them a look, thanks for the feedback.
Old 02-23-2017, 07:27 AM
Lieutenant
Member's Gallery

Stay away from bootleg Sinister crap, go with RCD, MPD, DieselSite like mentioned above.
Old 02-23-2017, 06:22 PM
Major
Member's Gallery

Spend 5 bucks in the android store. Pick up a android tablet. Buy a good obd2 to blue tooth and. Run torque for gauges. It will also help for diagnostics. Forscan is a handy scan tool that has alot of functionality for the cost of free on a windows based computer that you can get bluetooth on or a adapter for. Ive always cleared the cat and prefer a welded egr cooler as its alot less hassle from the authorities. Ive run sct for years and currently running a edge evoluotion in my current 6.0. It works i liked tuning on the sct platform better but currently thats a apples to oranges comparison as 2 of my 6.0 trucks were automatics and my current one is a manual 6spd. I cant shift it half as fast as the automatic does.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
PRETTY MUCH STOCK