Go Back   PowerStrokeArmy > Non - Specific > Engine Conversion

Old 08-31-2017, 02:38 PM
Private
Member's Gallery

Default Another DT360 Dream

Greetings to everyone. I'm a newbie to this forum, but have been searching and searching all of the forum sites looking for an in depth conversion build for a DT360 in a super duty. Ideally, I wanted to put it in a 08-10 model, but being in North Carolina, it will be too much of a pain to pass inspection without the ***. I currently have a 04 F250 shortbed, but will be stepping up to a F350 DRW to handle more towing. I am not looking for crazy numbers. Just a reliable workhorse and will want the luxury interior.

I have a bus down the road that I can get for $900. It is running with no issues. It belonged to the local YMCA, but was vandalized, so they have decided its time to upgrade to newer transportation. I have not officially verified the motor to be a 360, but I have the VIN from the bus and it matches to be a 93 International 3600. Specifically, its a Thomas Vista 3600, which from my searching, was only available with a DT 360 or 7.3 IDI from 92-94. It is definitely not the 7.3.

I know there have been a few guys over the years that have completed the swap. If you want to message me directly, or comment on here, I would love to have the information. The problem with the older builds is that I can no longer see any of the pictures. I also have not seen or read anything relating to motor mount location or if they need to be built. Building this truck has been approved by the wife, so now I just need to get a plan together, and execute. Instead of going out and spending $40-60k on a newer truck, I would rather invest my money in something that will be worth it. The 3 builds that I have through are pipewhiner, swamp, and coastal. If any of those guys would be willing to assist me, it would be greatly appreciated. And if anyone else has completed the build, please share any info that you are willing to offer.

Thanks for the help.
Gary

Navistar Tag.JPG

Bus Inspection Label.JPG

Last edited by gmeadows03; 08-31-2017 at 02:43 PM.
Old 09-01-2017, 05:30 AM
Lieutenant
Member's Gallery

Welcome. Sounds like a good build. I think that engine came with 3 possible injection pump types. It either came with a MW, A, or P series. The P series being most optimal, but a MW or A can be converted to be a P pump engine. The A also has potential and may fuel enough for your needs. But the MW most likely will not. There will be an ID tag on pump to verify, but a trained eye doesn't need a tag. Lol. What Trans are you thinking?

Also, project success rate increases atleast 90% when the wife approves.
Old 09-01-2017, 09:43 AM
Private
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwunter View Post
Welcome. Sounds like a good build. I think that engine came with 3 possible injection pump types. It either came with a MW, A, or P series. The P series being most optimal, but a MW or A can be converted to be a P pump engine. The A also has potential and may fuel enough for your needs. But the MW most likely will not. There will be an ID tag on pump to verify, but a trained eye doesn't need a tag. Lol. What Trans are you thinking?

Also, project success rate increases atleast 90% when the wife approves.
From what I am seeing, I would do a refresh of the motor and the few upgrades to have a reliable 400-500 hp motor...injectors, pushrods, valve springs, and turbo. It would be converted to P pump, and I have been doing some reading on the AFC Live system. Not sure if it is the real deal or not. Also, would a compound setup be overkill? I like the idea of have low end torque and building up to top end when needed. I have a fab guy that does some tremendous work that I want to convince to do some work for me. He has his own shop now but used to work for Rudy's.

As far as trans, if I end up with a 6.0 truck, then I will be using the 5R110. As much as I would love a 6 speed, the wife said to keep an automatic. She's a petite attorney that likes to show up in a big truck... haha.
Old 09-01-2017, 10:36 AM
General
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmeadows03 View Post
From what I am seeing, I would do a refresh of the motor and the few upgrades to have a reliable 400-500 hp motor...injectors, pushrods, valve springs, and turbo. It would be converted to P pump, and I have been doing some reading on the AFC Live system. Not sure if it is the real deal or not. Also, would a compound setup be overkill? I like the idea of have low end torque and building up to top end when needed. I have a fab guy that does some tremendous work that I want to convince to do some work for me. He has his own shop now but used to work for Rudy's.

As far as trans, if I end up with a 6.0 truck, then I will be using the 5R110. As much as I would love a 6 speed, the wife said to keep an automatic. She's a petite attorney that likes to show up in a big truck... haha.
i would rethink the 5r. Absolute PITA to run with a controller. Why not run a manual flash in the pcm and do a 4r swap with a pcs

Midwest Diesel & Auto...Gear Head Automotive Performance...No Limit Fabrication...Barder Turbo Service...PMF Suspension...
Old 09-01-2017, 12:38 PM
Private
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by sootie View Post
i would rethink the 5r. Absolute PITA to run with a controller. Why not run a manual flash in the pcm and do a 4r swap with a pcs
I keep hearing that there is not a good/easy way to get the 5r shifting properly. I would not be opposed switching to another trans, but the question would be, what trans? Unfortunately, a manual is not an option. The wife said it has to be an auto so she can drive it.
Old 09-01-2017, 12:39 PM
General
Member's Gallery

4r100

Midwest Diesel & Auto...Gear Head Automotive Performance...No Limit Fabrication...Barder Turbo Service...PMF Suspension...
Old 09-01-2017, 01:07 PM
Private
Member's Gallery

Quote:
4r100
I am far beyond "green" when it comes to transmissions, but it seems like that would be a step in the wrong direction. This truck will do some towing...tractors, bobcats, other equipment on the weekends but would mainly be a daily driver. Overdrive would definitely be preferred to keep RPMs down and enjoy nice highway speeds. But I could be wrong on the capabilities of mating the 4r100 with the right gearing and tires.
Old 09-01-2017, 01:17 PM
General
Member's Gallery

the control over shift points and lockup is major as well as it will do the same thing every time. There also is plenty of aftermarket support to make it hold the torque.

Old 09-01-2017, 01:33 PM
Private
Member's Gallery

Quote:
the control over shift points and lockup is major as well as it will do the same thing every time. There also is plenty of aftermarket support to make it hold the torque.
Ok thanks. I'll look in to it. I guess I could always look at a 7.3 truck that has the 4R100 already. I may be converting the front to look like a 2nd gen truck anyway.
Old 09-01-2017, 05:35 PM
Colonel
Member's Gallery

This has been a long term dream of mine. I wan't to put one in an F450. I would most definitely go with the AFC Live setup if you have a p-pump. Seeing that it is a 93 means there is a high probability that it could have the p-pump and it might be the after cooled model too. If you want higher hp with minimal smoke, then compounds are a no brainer (in my opinion). It's so easy to do with this configuration anyway.

Good info from Gwunter and Sootie. The 4R100 with PCS is a no brainer if going the auto route. If going straight drive, then I would look into a good medium duty option if you can't source a ZF6 for cheap.

Good luck! I look forward to seeing where you take this.