6.0 heads Aluminum heads?

weekendwarriorfsw32

Reaction score
So first off let me say yes I know that factory heads are cast steel not aluminum. Now saying that Im rebuilding my 6.0 currents and bought a set of heads from a big name brand already o-ringed and turns out there junk, the valves are reused, the stems were bad, terrible finish, to big of a seat so there is no bottom angle and a huge step that will restrict the flow of exhaust out of the heads. So now I'm back to square 1, I don't really want to play the ford game where it takes 3 sets of heads just to get 1 set that I can machine flat and use. Thinking of going with new castings from over seas and they offer in either cast steel or aluminum. Now I don't know to much about aluminum heads on a cast block other then duramax has been doing it for years an my new 16 6.7 has aluminum but can they take the abuse that the cast heads do? Any one have any experience with this? I think Jegs sell the cast ones http://www.jegs.com/p/ProMaxx-Perfo...ord-60L-Diesel-Cylinder-Head/3507800/10002/-1
36FAA642-7548-4578-AA5F-A402E4C49D04_zpstdumt3sa.jpg

Last edited:

Black AOD

Reaction score
I've heard good and bad about Pro Maxx heads for 6.0s and 6.4's. I know a lot of machine shops flat out will not touch any chinese castings though. So that personally makes me wary.

ncollins64

Reaction score
I've always used ford heads, but I did buy my cousin a set of these heads for his 6.0 1 year ago when we did the stud job. They appear to be pretty good quality and since I went through 3 sets of ford heads on my last stud job before I got a good set, I'd def consider these. We did deck them but we didn't have any issues with them and there still going strong today and he puts this truck through he!! everyday.

Cutting-Edge Diesel

Reaction score
I've used several sets of promaxx heads. We had a set on the ranger for a season and they are the only ones that never cracked. Only got one set of complete heads the others were bare. The complete heads needed valve jobs so I always get the bares but still end up working on the valve seats. But if you put some money in them they are good heads. Did have a warranty issue with too much glow plug protrusion but they sent out a new set no problem.

ghohouston

Reaction score
I have no experience with them, but id say go for it. Ford heads are junk, you have seen a few good reviews. Its gonna be a gamble either way, so go with something thats supposedly improved.

Mdub707

Reaction score
The only person I knew that used Chinese cast heads had a complete failure at less than 300 miles. That said, it was a while back now and things may have changed or other companies may be offering them now. It was enough to scare me away and find a decent set of Ford heads.

Reaction score
Great to see some progress in this department. In regards to the aluminum heads, do you think there would be issues with head gaskets? The 6.0/6.4 are 4 bolt per cylinder configuration. I believe the other engines utilizing aluminum heads are 5 bolt per cylinder.

I wonder if there would be head gasket issues. Aluminum's material properties are more flexible than Steel. For example, Aluminum's modulus of elasticity is only 1/3 that of steel.

Just food for thought... I'd love to see this work - WE NEED HEADS!

thewrubelator

Reaction score
Price point on the Aluminum won't be to terrible either from what the rep was saying at PRI. Hoping to see some good flow numbers as well! I think they picked up around 30-40CFM just from going to aluminum.

co04cobra

Reaction score
Great to see some progress in this department. In regards to the aluminum heads, do you think there would be issues with head gaskets? The 6.0/6.4 are 4 bolt per cylinder configuration. I believe the other engines utilizing aluminum heads are 5 bolt per cylinder.

I wonder if there would be head gasket issues. Aluminum's material properties are more flexible than Steel. For example, Aluminum's modulus of elasticity is only 1/3 that of steel.

Just food for thought... I'd love to see this work - WE NEED HEADS!

Should be able to oring the aluminum heads.

Reaction score
That may help. But I think there's a deformity aspect that may be present.

I assume the dimensions of the heads will be the same as the steel versions. Thus, you can't compensate with more material for the lack of rigidity.

Like I said before, just thinking out loud... I am by no means an expert in cylinder head design...

Latest posts

Members online