Electric fans.

mstng5point0

Reaction score
I've seen a few threads here about electric fans.

Anyone ever thought to try a set from a newer chevy truck? Its a dual fan that can be bought cheap and i thought i could make my own shroud to fit them.

I rarely tow but i do live in NH and it would be nice in winter for getting the motor up to temp quicker.

Don't really have the money for flexalite

Extended Power

Reaction score
I run four 10 or 12" fans on my truck's radiator. (I'd have to check)
They fit perfectly across from top to bottom.
I don't use a temperature switch to activate them, I just wait till I have driven a few blocks, and turn them on manually. (Rocker switch with four separate relays)
I have also relocated the transmission cooler to underneath the truck, back where the spare tire goes, and have an electric fan out of a Lincoln mark VIII on it...fits perfectly across, but is about 2" shy on the top to bottom measurement.
Again, same thing, I just wait till I have driven a few blocks, and manually turn it on as well.
Only issue with a fan under the truck...first gravel road I drove on, even though it was for only about a 1/4 mile, a rock took out a fan blade, and the dust destroyed the electric motor.
Picked up another fan for $50.00 and just don't drive on gravel anymore.

powerlifter405

Reaction score
I run four 10 or 12" fans on my truck's radiator. (I'd have to check)
They fit perfectly across from top to bottom.
I don't use a temperature switch to activate them, I just wait till I have driven a few blocks, and turn them on manually. (Rocker switch with four separate relays)
I have also relocated the transmission cooler to underneath the truck, back where the spare tire goes, and have an electric fan out of a Lincoln mark VIII on it...fits perfectly across, but is about 2" shy on the top to bottom measurement.
Again, same thing, I just wait till I have driven a few blocks, and manually turn it on as well.
Only issue with a fan under the truck...first gravel road I drove on, even though it was for only about a 1/4 mile, a rock took out a fan blade, and the dust destroyed the electric motor.
Picked up another fan for $50.00 and just don't drive on gravel anymore.

And or if someone is willing to do a little modding, they can leave the trans fan in front and put the electric on it for gravel road driving.

BTW, sounds like an overall decent setup. A lot of back up cooling. If one goes you still have 3 more.

Extended Power

Reaction score
All four fans on the rad are triggered off a single rocker switch...just used four separate relays for the power supply...one to each fan. (They do pull a lot of amps on initial start up)

I'd like to make a set of louvers that would deflect the air down, and towards the back of the truck, instead of straight down, on the trans cooler. (That would protect the fan blades as well.)

Only other cooler I have on the truck is a big fuel cooler in front of the rad. I don't want to burn out the fuel pump out on a hot summer day when the tank is down to 1/8 or less. (Usually have over half a tankful anyways, but you never know.)

powerlifter405

Reaction score
All four fans on the rad are triggered off a single rocker switch...just used four separate relays for the power supply...one to each fan. (They do pull a lot of amps on initial start up)

I'd like to make a set of louvers that would deflect the air down, and towards the back of the truck, instead of straight down, on the trans cooler. (That would protect the fan blades as well.)

Only other cooler I have on the truck is a big fuel cooler in front of the rad. I don't want to burn out the fuel pump out on a hot summer day when the tank is down to 1/8 or less. (Usually have over half a tankful anyways, but you never know.)

I want to say the research I did on electrics would confirm the "need" for relays. I the initial amp draw does spike but even then I want to say that 2 fans, at least the chevy 350 and 5.3 variants run close around 8-10 amps at operation so having the relays may not be 100% necessary but good wiring w/ the relays creates a most appropriate setup IMHO.

Any idea on the temp of the fuel w/o the cooler?

Extended Power

Reaction score
No idea what the temp is with or without the fuel cooler, but on a 100*F day, with about a 1/4 tank left, it doesn't take long for the pump to circulate that amount of fuel over, and over again...adding heat every time, so I bought a big oil cooler that sits in front of everything, and don't worry about it anymore.

The most heat probably comes from the engine block itself...which would be around 180+*F.
I have my system set up as a "back pressure" fuel system. So full pump pressure flows through the block on both sides, and comes up to the regulator which is set to 62.5psi.
Anything over that pressure gets sent back to the tank. (Through the cooler first, then back to the tank)
A lot of people have their fuel systems setup to go from the fuel pump, to the regulator, then to the block.

powerlifter405

Reaction score
I have my system set up as a "back pressure" fuel system. So full pump pressure flows through the block on both sides, and comes up to the regulator which is set to 62.5psi.

A lot of people have their fuel systems setup to go from the fuel pump, to the regulator, then to the block.

What made you go from the back of the block vs from the from front?

Extended Power

Reaction score
My lines do tie into the front...exit the back, then go to the regulator.

Some systems regulate the fuel first, then tie into the front of the block...dead ended at the back of the block.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.