Crank no start has me stumped

Arisley

Reaction score
Well for starters, the oem pump has build in anti drain back fittings inside.

Try taking off the top fitting (fuel input) and completely capping it off and see if it drains back.

—————signature—————
~Don’t overthink something simple~
...:uptight people suck:...

Actually, the top fitting (the one with the pressure setting spring in it, is the return line.

If the fuekl is draining, it is draining from the bowl valve or through the injectors or the lines, the OP needs to look in the valley and see if there is a lake there. If it is draining back through the fill line to the pump, there is something wrong with the pump of a leak in the line between the pump and the bowl, in which case, there would be a big puddle of fuel on the ground.

Last edited:

DieselDC

Reaction score
Actually, the top fitting (the one with the pressure setting spring in it, is the return line.

Oops you are correct! Top is the fpr regulator. Here’s a pic so we all don’t get confused (mainly me).

13ce417dcdc0acf77ea7eeeb5ed09286.jpg

—————signature—————

Arisley

Reaction score
Yep, top one is regulator and return, bottom one is inlet. If you remove the standpipe inside the bowl there is a valve in there that will not let fuel in the bowl unless the cap is on. Simple to remove from the standpipe. Punch it out with a screwdriver. That removes a restriction. where the fuel lines go into each head there is a fitting, inside that fitting is a one way valve. Simple to remove with a drill. You can also bore it out a little and make it a little bit larger (I hate fuel flow restrictions), make sure you take the time to remove all burrs from the fitting before reinstall, if there is anything in there, the only way out is through the injector. On the fuel drain there is a short rubber hose that goes to a fuel line than routes it down the front of the motor and right onto the crossmember. Any leakage from the bowl (they do get old and porous, sometimes they even get hairline cracks) will leak into the valley between the heads and make Lake Powerstroke. There is a drain hole that routes this fuel out the back of you motor, right on your flexplate if an auto (no real biggie) or right on you pressure plate if a Standard (a real big deal). Sometimes this drain hole gets plugged up from debris falling down there or from a previous owner that thinks he is stopping stuff from getting inside his motor (WTF did Ford leave a big hole in the valley, hmmm, a cork will fix that).

DieselDC

Reaction score
Yup that’s why it should be resealed. Inside the standpipe is an o-ring and that o-ring might be boogered up by what your saying and what I’m comprehending. Resealed plenty enough to picture that oring. I didn’t know that would allow the fuel bowl to drain. Learn something new every other day. (Could be I got everything confused still).

—————signature—————

Superduty00

Reaction score
Yes it is draining out of the lower fitting/pressure inlet and the bowl is filling up with the fuel bowl lid off... was thinking about camping off the lower fitting manually filling bowl and trying to start it and see if it will run off just the fuel in the boel to try An eliminate the fuel pump as a problem..

Arisley

Reaction score
I would start by checking the plumbing between the bowl and the tank. You might have to pull the tank and check the plumbing inside the tank. Somebody has already gutted the stand pipe in the bowl. You have plumbing issues between the tank and the bowl. Might actually be feeding the bowl through the top return line and returning through the bottom line. The standpipe should be stopping the fuel from completely emptying from the bottom line. Check the o-ring under the stand pipe assembly.