Collapsed my CS pipe...lil help plz

Snayke

Reaction score
Hey fellas just looking to put my mind at ease and for some advice if needed.

Saturday I was running very late (in mexico) and was doing some spirited driving. As I was passing a tanker I experienced what can be described as a cut in power like reaching the governor except I was a LITTLE below where that would be (if it still exists with tune). I let off then put my foot into it again and am pretty sure I heard a backfire and a puff of blue smoke out the back and it didn't rev past about 1200 RPM. I coasted for a bit then pulled off onto a side road and popped the hood, immediately saw that my H&S cold side pipe had collapsed. Turned off the truck and it went back to normal with a little massage, i looked and felt all over and there were no holes in it. Fired up the truck; OK. Rev'd a bit and same thing wouldn't go past 1200 and the pipe sucked in again with a blue puff out the tailpipe. Turned off the truck and climbed up to further look around, that's when I noticed that my Positive Air Shutoff was 3/4 to 7/8 closed (didn't notice right away cause the shop sucked on install and had to take off indicator as it was hitting my hood). So safe to say I believe I hit the RPM set point (3800ish? no idea) and tripped it (supposed to close 100% and kill truck, probably good it didn't given the speed i was moving). I reset the PAS, started truck, didn't see or hear anything odd then carried on my way at a more reasonable speed back to town.

Story time over, my question is could I have damaged anything in this process? I got no codes during or after the incident, no funny sounds or running different that I can tell. Just the tube has some bulges and creases where it was compressed ( I'll be replacing the hose as its integrity has been compromised ) I havent dropped the hammer since and I've maybe driven like that once or twice since tuned, its my work truck if I beat on it, it doesn't make me $$ while its down. Maybe look into getting Tyrant to drop some shift points? I'd love to get rid of the PAS, but it's a safety requirement in the industry.

Mods are:
Tyrant Tuning set on Performance
No Limit Stage 2
H&S silicone tube OEM replacement
EGR De|ete
4" De|ete pipe, 5" after

:toast:

A rare, recently cleaned pic.

May_Wash.jpg

sootie

Reaction score
sounds like your positive air shutoff was either malfunctioning or it is programmed to activate lower than your WOT shift point.

Snayke

Reaction score
Yes, that is an accurate assessment of what happened. I was just looking for some input from the knowledgeable fellas on here if doing so would have caused excess wear on anything I should look at is all.

Lots of views, no one else has anything? Is a PAS not a very common item around these parts? I imagine what I did is opposite of what happens when the stock guys blow the CS pipe or boot off?

Latest posts

Members online